Prospect Info: 2020 NHL draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Would you consider taking the 2nd best prospect (Byfield/other C/Defenseman) over Lafreniere at 1st overall because he's a winger and that's where we're deepest? (assuming we win the lottery and that Lafreniere is better but not way better, remains consensus 1st OA but there's debate)

If you take Lafreniere would you then trade AA/Mantha (or another winger) for C/D?

Reactions: hkydave04

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Would you consider taking the 2nd best prospect (Byfield/other C/Defenseman) over Lafreniere at 1st overall because he's a winger and that's where we're deepest? (assuming we win the lottery and that Lafreniere is better but not way better, remains consensus 1st OA but there's debate)

If you take Lafreniere would you then trade AA/Mantha (or another winger) for C/D?
The latter. Lafreniere is way better than Mantha and AA

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Would you consider taking the 2nd best prospect (Byfield/other C/Defenseman) over Lafreniere at 1st overall because he's a winger and that's where we're deepest

In order for a winger to be the consensus #1 player going into their draft year, they have to be special. I can’t even remember the last time that it happened. If it was close in the eyes of scouts, I would expect a C or D to get an edge. Despite what Button says, I fully expect at least 8 or 9 of the NHL scouts Bob interview to have Lafreniere at #1.

Byfield has great tools and I think he projects very well. But if you told me to pick 1 player from this draft who will become a PPG player or better in the NHL; my response would be Lafreniere instantly.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think Yzerman might grab Askarov if we don't get a top 3 pick. Elite goalies are rarely moved these days, and I could see him wanting to not worry about the goalie situation by having Askarov and Larsson as insurance. The last position you want to be in is on the goalie carousel, those guys that swap teams every year rarely pan out well.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
  1. Lafreniere
  2. Byfield
  3. Raymond
  4. Lundell
  5. Perfetti
  6. Lapierre
  7. Holtz
  8. Rossi
  9. Stutzle
  10. Gunler
My top 10 forwards. 1>>2,3>>4,5,6>>>>7,8,9>>>>10+

Completely ignoring D+G in regards to our 1st, but wouldn't exactly be shocked if GMSY takes the Russian G in 7-10 range.

Reactions: hkydave04

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think Yzerman might grab Askarov if we don't get a top 3 pick. Elite goalies are rarely moved these days, and I could see him wanting to not worry about the goalie situation by having Askarov and Larsson as insurance. The last position you want to be in is on the goalie carousel, those guys that swap teams every year rarely pan out well.
it would be not as big surprise as this year taking Seider , but so much time ahead of next draft . I think this year we are going to improve our game and standing. No need to tank if we going to draft in the second someone who should be in the third or get at #6 what suppose to be in the teens

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Depending who is #2 maybe trading down one spot would be possible?

Say Edmonton has a rough year with injuries and ends up with #2 and we have #1, we have a good relationship with Ken to talk about a trade down

They might covet the high, high end winger to play with McDavid rather than take another C

Something like #1 + small add like mid/ late pick in 2021 for #2 + a prospect like Yamamoto or maybe Bouchard? idk about values just spitballing how we could possibly game the situation to get the best possible set up for future rosters down the line

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
No. No no

If you get the #1 OA and there is a unanimously considered top prospect, you don’t try to get cute.

If we get #1... you take Lafrienere.
Yeah, but you know even if Larkin and Howard are out for the season on day 1 and we finished 31st... we'd be picking 4th. Lafreniere, Byfield, and Raymond are reserved for other markets. I'm just going on the assumption we pick 9th because there's about 7-8 players I'd really love to have.

Reactions: lilidk

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
No. No no

If you get the #1 OA and there is a unanimously considered top prospect, you don’t try to get cute.

If we get #1... you take Lafrienere.

Literally any other draft I agree, but I'm obsessed with Byfield so I proposed the idea

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I have Byfield as the BPA in the next draft currently... Maybe that is cute, but it what I honestly believe.

I'm only going by the lists and talk of now. If 90% of results say a guy is #1, you take that guy #1 is all I'm saying.

It doesn't sound like Byfield is on the same level in current returns. But hell, you want Byfield, you take Byfield. Certainly the difference between Lafreniere and him will not net you a top end prospect if some people just straight prefer him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm only going by the lists and talk of now. If 90% of results say a guy is #1, you take that guy #1 is all I'm saying.

It doesn't sound like Byfield is on the same level in current returns. But hell, you want Byfield, you take Byfield. Certainly the difference between Lafreniere and him will not net you a top end prospect if some people just straight prefer him.

It’s interesting because I think the last winger considered to be #1 overall going into their draft year was Yakupov, who you would not want to have followed the strategy you suggested above with.

Now, I think Lafreniere is a much better prospect, notably in the hockey IQ department where I consider him to be fantastic (possibly special). I also think Lafreniere has a much more impressive resume going into his draft year. Just pointing out that following the consensus isn’t 100% fool-proof.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have Byfield as the BPA in the next draft currently... Maybe that is cute, but it what I honestly believe.

Far too early for me to say. I mean, what Cole Perfetti has done the last 6 months can’t be overlooked. Kid has looked unreal and like a top player in this draft. Byfield is going to be in a battle with that kid all year.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Byfield over Lafreniere right now reminds me of people that had Turcotte over Hughes last summer

still a lot of time left I suppose but there's a reason one of them just outproduced the other so drastically at the same level of play

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Poor man's Eric Lindros is still a #1 overall for me gentleman and ladies. High praise but what I think, we will see how the year unfolds.

I too am very high on Byfield but am uninterested in getting pot committed on any of these guys this early in their draft year. There is a ton of development time between now and draft day and players will change (for the better or for the worse).

Now the beauty of Byfield in my eyes is that as good as he is, there is still has a ton of room for growth in his game. For example I really like his skating at his size but think that there is room for him to clean it up even further and become an even better skater. That is a huge appeal to me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I too am very high on Byfield but am uninterested in getting pot committed on any of these guys this early in their draft year. There is a ton of development time between now and draft day and players will change (for the better or for the worse).

This is what I was trying to convey earlier, thank you for articulating it better than I did.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Neither. I'd run 3 scoring lines, and try to pick up UFA D and/or hope the prospects live up to their hype. There's an endless combination of 3 scoring lines you could come up with when you add that kind of talent. The team might not win any playoffs series, but it'll be fun to watch the regular season like TBL or Boudreau era Caps.

In any case, it would be a good problem to have.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
**** it, take Byfield. There's no chance we're getting the 1OA next year, so this is all just theorycrafting. We'll probably end up with Joe Schmo from Alamo. :eek:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Just throwing these names out there so we can look back next year and see how they did, but I was looking into some of the Slovakian leagues and there were 2 players that caught my eye: Martin Chromiak and Roman Faith. Chromiak had great numbers in the U18 league and in the U20 league and will be playing in the Slovakian Men's League, while Faith destroyed the U18 league for the full season and is playing in the Jr. B Finnish League this season.

As of now I'd say that neither are in my top 60, but if Chromiak can have > 0.50 points per game he becomes a lot more interesting as a prospect and he did have a good Hlinka. Faith I'd want to see work his way to the Jr. A league as there have been close to 0 NHL prospects play meaningful games in that league during the U18 season.

Last edited:

Christien

May 1, 2010
Kienan Draper is eligible this year. Anybody seen him play? I saw a couple videos of him this summer working out with Larkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad