Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Raymond at 7? LOL if he’s there at 7 you take it and run.

tbf the top 10 of this draft is utterly ridiculous, after Lafreniere and Byfield, the next 8 picks could pretty much go in any order and I wouldn't be that shocked, Marco Rossi is on a historic pace, Jamie Drysdale is an elite skating RHD so he'll be coveted, then you've got Raymond, Holtz, Lundell, Perfetti, Askarov & Stutzle too, Ottawa is gonna love having 2 top 10 picks, will be franchise altering for them.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
What is the attraction of Byfield? Other than the big body... I know the WJCs aren't the best platform to highlight draft eligible players, but man I can't even remember him touching the puck at this tournament let alone making a play.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
What is the attraction of Byfield? Other than the big body... I know the WJCs aren't the best platform to highlight draft eligible players, but man I can't even remember him touching the puck at this tournament let alone making a play.
I've seen him make some plays against comp his own age. So he is supposedly a good playmaking center with incredible size. I wouldn't worry about his WJC; he was a 17 year old with a full cage in a 19 year old tournament.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Subury wolves lost every game Byfield was not part of due to him playing at the WJC.

other followers who follow the OHl closely , thinks his level is on par with draft year Andrei Svechnikov.

Byfield is a keeper, he is going number 2 or 3.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

lawrence

May 19, 2012
tbf the top 10 of this draft is utterly ridiculous, after Lafreniere and Byfield, the next 8 picks could pretty much go in any order and I wouldn't be that shocked, Marco Rossi is on a historic pace, Jamie Drysdale is an elite skating RHD so he'll be coveted, then you've got Raymond, Holtz, Lundell, Perfetti, Askarov & Stutzle too, Ottawa is gonna love having 2 top 10 picks, will be franchise altering for them.

don't forget Dawson Mercer. He made team Canada this winter and 2020 is his draft year. Feisty Winger with sniping and offensive skills, just needs to polish up his 2 way game.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I don't think it would be a bad idea to send Byfield back to Sudbury next year. He's still a very young kid and could only grow. Even elite prospects with NHL frames sometimes need some time to heat up (ex. Kakko this year).

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I think Lundell is being underrated now. He reminds me a little bit of Backstrom in terms of playing style.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I’m just hoping to all that is mighty the Nucks land a Top 10 pick.

Could really add a forward to this group that would be a significant future addition.

Other than Drysdale, no other dman should be close to consideration in the Top 10 and Askarov should not be a consideration either especially with Markstrom, Demko and Mikey currently in the fold.

Add another impact forward to add to the current group, along with Pod and Hog, could really start to inch this team forward towards resembling something of a consistent playoff entrant/Cup contender.

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
What do you guys think of helge grans in the second round? Looks like he could be a good fit with Hughes long term, big guy who can skate, plays the right side, big shot

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
What do you guys think of helge grans in the second round? Looks like he could be a good fit with Hughes long term, big guy who can skate, plays the right side, big shot

I think he'll go in the first tbh, 6'3 RHD's who can skate well and move the puck don't tend to last long

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Watching the defensemen, really liked Poirier's skill and Cormier's skating, both those guys are undervalued at the moment. Poirier has enormous offensive potential IMO. Cormier is like Girard, gets all over the ice. Drysdale as solid as advertised as an all-rounder. O'Rourke has been impressive defensively, but him, Schneider and Guhle don't seem to have the skill to be worth investing a very high pick despite their respective strengths. The quality of the defensemen overall look pretty high, lots of guys that have had good moments - Nickl, Sebrango, Puutio, etc.

Some unexpected standouts up front include Jack Quinn (playing with Rossi and Perreault) and Tyson Foerster (playing with Zary). Byfield really struggling to protect the puck and make plays with limited time and space, he's had better games. Antonio Stranges looks like he has some mojo, the other Knight Evangelista might have some promise too. Overall the quality of the game is higher compared to some previous TPGs, lots of guys making plays.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I've seen people make posts that Lafreniere is the best winger prospect since Ovechkin, both because of his skill/IQ and also his physicality. Is this fairly accurate?

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
We should move up with our 2nd and try and get helge grans, good future fit with quinn

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
For a player, it must be better to be picked later than early. Yes, it's fun to be picked #1, but it's not really an accomplishment, and you'll end up on a really bad team with a lot of weight on your shoulders.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We should move up with our 2nd and try and get helge grans, good future fit with quinn
If the Canucks end up winning the division they will end up with #24 pick in the draft or later (which would go to TB). 28-31 go to the final 4 teams. 24-27 to the Regular Season Division Winners, so if any Division Winner(s) get to the final 4, the Canucks pick will slide to 25-27 range. Which continues onto round 2. So, we're talking pick #55 and upgrade in round 2.

How much further up do they need to move to get this Grans kid? From the 2016 draft, teams were dropping around 3 spots late in the first and that cost a 3rd round pick.

If the Canucks make the playoffs, I don't think they will have much chance of moving up that much to get him. Maybe if you move Virtanen (if they are afraid of his arbitration award due to their cap constraints), they may get a pick to get Grans.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You know as bitterly disappointing as it would be for Canucks fans if this team implodes down the stretch and misses the playoffs, the draft lottery could change everything.

If, and despite all odds, the Canucks actually moved 'up' in this year's draft lottery it could be the best thing in the long run. Tough to swallow. But big picture, another high lottery pick would set up this team for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad