Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Question for you guys:

Are there any good right handed defensemen in this draft that project to be extremely good “defensive defensemen” types with respectable offensive ability? Like a Brent Seabrook type guy or a guy that could fill Chris Tanev’s shoes one day. I think that is the Canucks’ biggest need right now. A guy that could be the Brent Seabrook to the Duncan Keith known as Quinn Hughes..........or the Jake Muzzin to the Drew Doughty known as Quinn Hughes. You get my (Braden) point.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Xmas Potato Top-30

1. Marco Rossi
2. Alexis Lafrenière
3. Quinton Byfield
4. Anton Lundell
5. Cole Perfetti
6. Dawson Mercer
7. Jacob Perreault
8. Jamie Drysdale
9. Mavrik Bourque
10. Connor Zary
11. Tyson Foerster
12. Alexander Holtz
13. Jérémie Poirier
14. Sean Farrell
15. Jack Quinn
16. Ryan O'Rourke
17. Seth Jarvis
18. Vasili Ponomaryov
19. Jan Mysak
20. Noel Gunler
21. Helge Grans
22. Jaromir Pytlik
23. Pavel Novak
24. Ryan Francis
25. Brady Burns
26. Braden Schneider
27. Rory Kerins
28. Hayden Fowler
29. Veeti Miettinen
30. Sam Colangelo
Wondering what it looks like down to 60. Canucks are now 77% to make the playoffs. First pick is looking like it will be 47th or later.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Wondering what it looks like down to 60. Canucks are now 77% to make the playoffs. First pick is looking like it will be 47th or later.

Generally speaking there are players every year who rank in the top-30 who really don't get drafted anywhere near the first round.

Examples last year were Sam Fagemo who didn't get taken until 50th, Pavel Dorofeyev at 79 and Mikko Kokkenen at 84, along with Jere Innala who didn't get taken at all.

Reactions: timw33

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
The thing with Raymond is that he is sick when he is healthy!

I generally like players who haven't got the benefits of being developed physically in his early career. Peter Forsberg and Elias Pettersson were always smallish during their junior years and have had to develop other tools to be successful. Raymond, in my view, have had a similar development as they had. He is sooo smooth, have a wicked and accurate shot, super high hockey-IQ, super soft hands and is not afraid to get into the dirty areas. I would pick him over anybody in this draft and I think he will be considered to a similar steal as Pettersson was looking a year or two post draft.

His teammates calls him "the little Devil" because of his tenaciousness. He works as hard with the puck as he does off the puck. Does this sound familiar? Him with EP - oh boy!

I'm in this boat, but don't think I would pick him over anybody in this draft. Ideal for us though.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
How do the top d-men of 2020 (Drysdale, Barron, etc) compare to the top d-men of 2021 (Clarke, Lambos, etc)?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Anyone know much about Braden Schneider?

He seems somewhat similar to a modern day version of Brent Seabrook, but that’s probably not the most accurate comparison.

If the Canucks finish in the middle of the pack or narrowly miss the playoffs, I wouldn’t mind landing Schneider......assuming that my hunch about him is correct. Anyone know much about this cat?

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Teams below the playoff bar heading into the all-star break have an under 10 percent chance of making the post season. So not too early to start dusting off the lottery pick rankings.

Could be the last gasp for the current regime, since they wouldn't have a first-rounder in 2021. Hope springs eternal I guess. Because if by some miracle they actually moved 'up' in the draft position, another high pick would set them up nicely.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
How do the top d-men of 2020 (Drysdale, Barron, etc) compare to the top d-men of 2021 (Clarke, Lambos, etc)?
The 2021 draft will be heavier defensively for sure. Still a year and a half away but Brandt Clarke, Luke Hughes, Carson Lambos, Aiden Hreschuk, Isaac Belliveau and Owen Power are all potential top 10 defensemen at the moment. It's gonna be heavy on defense next year.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Like a Brent Seabrook type guy or a guy that could fill Chris Tanev’s shoes one day.

none. Jake Sanderson and Schneider are the only other noteable dmans in the first round and their rankings range from the late teens to late 20's. Schneider isnt even ranked in the first round by some sources. Now even if they are first rounders, I doubt any of them will be a Seabrook level dman.

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
Question for you guys:

Are there any good right handed defensemen in this draft that project to be extremely good “defensive defensemen” types with respectable offensive ability? Like a Brent Seabrook type guy or a guy that could fill Chris Tanev’s shoes one day. I think that is the Canucks’ biggest need right now. A guy that could be the Brent Seabrook to the Duncan Keith known as Quinn Hughes..........or the Jake Muzzin to the Drew Doughty known as Quinn Hughes. You get my (Braden) point.
We have one already - his name is Jett Woo.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

He seems somewhat similar to a modern day version of Brent Seabrook, but that’s probably not the most accurate comparison.

If the Canucks finish in the middle of the pack or narrowly miss the playoffs, I wouldn’t mind landing Schneider......assuming that my hunch about him is correct. Anyone know much about this cat?
He's rated down near the bottom of the first round on most internet rankings that I have seen. Which I found kind of surprising. I had expected him to in mid first material.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
none. Jake Sanderson and Schneider are the only other noteable dmans in the first round and their rankings range from the late teens to late 20's. Schneider isnt even ranked in the first round by some sources. Now even if they are first rounders, I doubt any of them will be a Seabrook level dman.

I haven’t seen Schneider much but his scouting report seems to match his play (ie very good skater , physical, good shot, good two way game).

You’re probably right that Schneider doesn’t turn into Seabrook, but I like this kid for some reason.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
He's rated down near the bottom of the first round on most internet rankings that I have seen. Which I found kind of surprising. I had expected him to in mid first material.

Do you know why that is? What’s the knock on him. My guess is that scouts don’t like his offensive upside. Aside from that though, he seems to be ticking a lot of boxes. To be honest, I don’t care too much if his offensive game is limited.

If he (or someone similar to Schneider) can fill Tanev’s shoes one day, I’d be more than happy. A guy that can be the “ying to the yang” of Quinn Hughes (i.e the “Jake Muzzin” to Quinn Hughes’ Drew Doughty so to speak, or the Brent Seabrook to Quinn Hughes’ Duncan Keith).

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
At the moment - we are slated to pick 14th right in the range to snag Braden Schneider. Hopefully we drop a few more spots (8th-10th pick) by the end of the year to steal Dawson Mercer or Cole Perfetti.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Quite a few good forwards in the top 10 this year, I am liking this draft more then last season (zegras and caufield were the only guys high on my list in our draft position), and I still think we need another top player at forward. Yes we need another dman, but this draft has very talented forwards and I always draft on talent over need and we are not stocked with high end talent at forward either. Look at horvats wingers.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Do you know why that is? What’s the knock on him. My guess is that scouts don’t like his offensive upside. Aside from that though, he seems to be ticking a lot of boxes. To be honest, I don’t care too much if his offensive game is limited.

If he (or someone similar to Schneider) can fill Tanev’s shoes one day, I’d be more than happy. A guy that can be the “ying to the yang” of Quinn Hughes (i.e the “Jake Muzzin” to Quinn Hughes’ Drew Doughty so to speak, or the Brent Seabrook to Quinn Hughes’ Duncan Keith).
Sorry, no. I know very little about him other than that he seemed to be more highly regarded last year than he is currently.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Doesn't sound like any of the first round Dmen have surefire 1st pairing hype outside of Drysdale.

RHD like Schneider and Barron are not expected to produce as much in the NHL. Won't hit Seabrook type numbers. Probably closer to the likes of Vlasic, Pesce, etc. in that defensive role. Will be very good contributors, but don't expect big numbers from them.

2021 is the more Dman heavy draft.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Doesn't sound like any of the first round Dmen have surefire 1st pairing hype outside of Drysdale.

RHD like Schneider and Barron are not expected to produce as much in the NHL. Won't hit Seabrook type numbers. Probably closer to the likes of Vlasic, Pesce, etc. in that defensive role. Will be very good contributors, but don't expect big numbers from them.

2021 is the more Dman heavy draft.

I see.

I still wouldn’t mind guys like Schneider and Barron if guys like Vlasic and Pesce are their comparables. That’s not bad at all actually. Just a guy that can replace Tanev one day, while possibly being the Jake Muzzin to Quinn Hughes’ Drew Doughty (ie that good solid defensive guy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad