Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hey man, I'm on the same boat, I dont want to just make the playoffs too, I was in the tank thread for a good 5 years, but a case has to be made to not simply wallow because we are not employed by Aqualini, we are not close to winning the cup until we can offload the bottom 6 contract anyways, that wont change no matter how much we cry, and I dont agree that the roster will take a significant step backwards say... Hughes didnt just outperform expectations, he turned out to be on par with Dahlin and Makar, or small things like OJ, Rathbone is found money right now. When its day one of this momentuous day, read the room and enjoy the enthusiasm for a few days.

Plenty of time to sulk back in the dark room once(if?) we get bounced.

It's possible to simultaneously be enjoying the games and hope the team does well against St. Louis and also partake in discussions about the troubling state of affairs for this upcoming offseason created by years of mismanagement. My initial post in this thread was a response to Kool-Aid type projects and discussion for next year.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I like stutzle and rossi more than byfield, and Drysdale more than byram lol

I really like all of Stutzle, Byfield, and Rossi. Rossi probably won't go top 3 because of his size.

I like Drysdale. I just see him as a tier below the defencemen at the top of the draft in recent years( Heiskanen, Makar, Hughes). I would take him at 5 if the above forwards were gone.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I really like all of Stutzle, Byfield, and Rossi. Rossi probably won't go top 3 because of his size.

I like Drysdale. I just see him as a tier below the defencemen at the top of the draft in recent years( Heiskanen, Makar, Hughes). I would take him at 5 if the above forwards were gone.
I think byfield only goes top 3 because of his size, and rossi does not.

Oh yeah definitely a tier below, but I think byram is definitely a tier below them too. Both more in a Krug type ceiling. Which is pretty damn good.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I think byfield only goes top 3 because of his size, and rossi does not.

Oh yeah definitely a tier below, but I think byram is definitely a tier below them too. Both more in a Krug type ceiling. Which is pretty damn good.

I agree Byfield is brought up a bit by his size, but his production is still amazing. Imagine Jake Virtanen with a brain, and passing ability. I'd still have him top 5 if he was smaller.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I know the Canucks were desperate at the trade deadline to acquire a scoring forward when Boeser went down.

But damn.....Tyler Madden AND a second round draft choice in a year where you likely wouldn't have had a first rounder either, is tough to swallow.

Now if the Canucks could unearth another Madden in the third round it might ease the pain a bit. But the guru of those later round gems--Judd Brackett--is no longer in the stable. Maybe it's time to take another flyer on a Russian player, and hope he morphs into another Artemi Panarin.

I'm having flashbacks to the 2010 draft, when we had no picks until the 4th round, and a grand total of 1 NHL game from the draft picks that year.

However, we were a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, and trading away picks made sense because we were a stacked team, with several prospects that were decent (Shroeder, Hodgson)

Now, we are definitely not a contender, and just emerging as a playoff team. We don't really have a solid prospect base and we are definitely NOT a stacked steam. But here we are, same situation with no pick until the 4th round.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Would love to be able to grab a late 1st or early 2nd to pick RHD Justin Barron. Had an injury filled year, but can skate like the wind and has size. Was unreal at the Hlinka Gretzky tournament as a 16 year old. Would fill an organizational need big time at that position.

Reactions: Raistlin1022

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Would love to be able to grab a late 1st or early 2nd to pick RHD Justin Barron. Had an injury filled year, but can skate like the wind and has size. Was unreal at the Hlinka Gretzky tournament as a 16 year old. Would fill an organizational need big time at that position.
Likely going to need a 1st to nab him.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
No question this year's draft will hold a little less interest in the hearts and minds of Canucks fans but I am willing to bet Benning makes a play into the first 45 picks. It may not be a move we like, just have a funny feeling we will pick somewhere in the top two rounds.
Yeah I'm really hoping we can move into the 1st round or early 2nd. Demko and Virtanen are both potential trade chips to do it. The unexpected reduced scouting this year means this draft should have way more variance than normal so mid/late first round picks should have a higher chance of being home runs than normal. Combine that with being a deep draft and the potential reward is really high.

Nuckler

May 7, 2013

Agree %100 this kid looks like he's gonna be good and might be flying under the radar a bit because of the injuries and covid. Would be a great future partner for hughes assuming he gets healthy and can continue to develope

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I'm having flashbacks to the 2010 draft, when we had no picks until the 4th round, and a grand total of 1 NHL game from the draft picks that year.

However, we were a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, and trading away picks made sense because we were a stacked team, with several prospects that were decent (Shroeder, Hodgson)

Now, we are definitely not a contender, and just emerging as a playoff team. We don't really have a solid prospect base and we are definitely NOT a stacked steam. But here we are, same situation with no pick until the 4th round.

Canucks have a 3rd-round pick this year.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Yeah I'm really hoping we can move into the 1st round or early 2nd. Demko and Virtanen are both potential trade chips to do it. The unexpected reduced scouting this year means this draft should have way more variance than normal so mid/late first round picks should have a higher chance of being home runs than normal. Combine that with being a deep draft and the potential reward is really high.

I wouldn't trade Demko until after next season. He was a good backup on a cheap contract this season and will probably be better in the future. Right now this team needs anybody who can play above their cap hit, plus he gives them some leverage with Markstrom. I'd want to see what Demko brings next season; they might end up preferring to trade Markstrom or expose him rather than Demko in the expansion draft if possible, depending on what kind of contract Markstrom signs and how both goalies play.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so if the team has no upper round draft picks, does this mean the scouts will be scouring the extra rounds extra hard, or will they do their regular process so they are ready for trades.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
so if the team has no upper round draft picks, does this mean the scouts will be scouring the extra rounds extra hard, or will they do their regular process so they are ready for trades.

Think they make a list regardless in case Canucks pick up picks.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
a demko trade for a draft pick for this draft seems very unlikely given the cap situation precludes us signing a quality backup to replace him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wouldn't trade Demko until after next season. He was a good backup on a cheap contract this season and will probably be better in the future. Right now this team needs anybody who can play above their cap hit, plus he gives them some leverage with Markstrom. I'd want to see what Demko brings next season; they might end up preferring to trade Markstrom or expose him rather than Demko in the expansion draft if possible, depending on what kind of contract Markstrom signs and how both goalies play.
It really depends on what other teams are offering. Detroit is in the midst of a full-on rebuild and is looking for a young netminder to build around. And they have three second round draft picks in the 2020 draft.

If the Canucks are fully committed to Markstrom and sign him to a big-dollar contract with term, then it makes sense for Demko and his agent to lobby the Canucks for a trade, so he can be a starter somewhere else. Canucks already had DiPietro waiting in the wings, and Benning can always go out and find a cheap veteran backup goaltender in the off-season.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I wonder what we could fetch for Markstrom's rights before he's signed to a deal.If Marky is asking for too much salary and term and it doesn't look like we can afford to keep him,a team like Detroit or Ottawa might send us a decent draft pick to negotiate with him exclusively before he goes UFA.
It might not be that much of a downgrade on whatever pick we could get for Demko at this point and we can keep developing Demko with more games while he's still on affordable contracts.
It could be a short term downgrade (or maybe not) that clears out around 5M in cap space to sign a veteran 1B goalie and re-sign Tanev (preferred) or Toffoli (if needed).

Reactions: lindgren

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I wonder what we could fetch for Markstrom's rights before he's signed to a deal.If Marky is asking for too much salary and term and it doesn't look like we can afford to keep him,a team like Detroit or Ottawa might send us a decent draft pick to negotiate with him exclusively before he goes UFA.
It might not be that much of a downgrade on whatever pick we could get for Demko at this point and we can keep developing Demko with more games while he's still on affordable contracts.
It could be a short term downgrade (or maybe not) that clears out around 5M in cap space to sign a veteran 1B goalie and re-sign Tanev (preferred) or Toffoli (if needed).

No way Detroit or Ottawa gives up #3-#5 for Markstrom. If Marky was like 5-6 years younger maybe, but it would be future picks if anything. Neither team is ready to make a run yet, they wouldn't pull the trigger on a guy who would be leaving his prime right in time for a team to make a run.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018

Kevin Hayes got the Jets a 5th round pick last offseason, so probably a 5th or later for Marky

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Has Elmer provided his annual quote where he says he is going to try to acquire picks to replace the picks he has already traded away? He usually says this but then finds out each year it is actually really hard to acquire picks.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Has Elmer provided his annual quote where he says he is going to try to acquire picks to replace the picks he has already traded away? He usually says this but then finds out each year it is actually really hard to acquire picks.
You make a good point....my recollection is that every spring Jimbo talks about acquiring 'addition picks' for the ones squandered for the likes of Sutter, Gudbranson, Vey, Pedan, Prust etc. etc......and every year he comes out short.

I think this year he might be floating it out there to assuage the angst of the fan-base, since the Canucks won't be picking until the 80's--well into the third round on day 2.

But this year, with the flat salary cap going forward, it'll be even tougher to acquire picks for roster players imo. So although the Canucks so have assets that might attract some interest in a normal season, I doubt Benning will be able to do anything

Reactions: Hodgy

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
With expansion looming, I doubt any team will take anything they need to protect off our hands.

Right now the entire market is trying to turn over their inventory into protectable assets.

The market will be flooded with guys like Virtanen. Not bad, not great, some upside. Not going to be protected. Everyone trying to get *something* for a guy they stand to lose.

I feel this year will be more difficult to recoup picks.

I would love to see a team go with the strategy of snagging a bunch of players from teams that think they'll lose to expansion draft. Like, if the Canucks can't protect Virtanen, I'd happily take a 4th for him. Doing that repeatedly would be a good use of picks.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
If Benning fails to 'recoup' a 1st/2nd, who would be peoples targets for our 3rd round pick?

I'd like to grab Daniel Torgersson, Jean-Luc Foudy, Joni Jurmo or Theodor Niederbach as fallers (unlikely I know). Wyatt Kaiser, Egor Sokolov, and Alex Pashin are some players I like in that range. Some home run swings (High upside + bust potential) we could take might include Martin Chromiak, Carter Savoie, and William Villeneuve.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad