Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Obviously the players aren't going to come out and say "we play to lose".

But as a fan, I'd much rather have a 12.5% chance of Lafreniere than getting dusted in actual Round 1.
You do not consider the first series victory as enjoyable? I have watched this team play great games vs Colorado this year and last. so I woul be hopeful of second round entertainment as well.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I am team draft Lafreniere but I will also aspect a 110% effort from our boys.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
So to all the tankers, at what point would you say you would like to start winning games? I really don't want to come off as being truculent, but just honestly thinking when you would like to flip your thinking from high drafting to playoffs. If they get Lafreniere then is it no more tanking or would you like another year or two? If they lose the play-in and don't win the lottery then does that change your approach?

Reactions: Levch

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
So to all the tankers, at what point would you say you would like to start winning games? I really don't want to come off as being truculent, but just honestly thinking when you would like to flip your thinking from high drafting to playoffs. If they get Lafreniere then is it no more tanking or would you like another year or two? If they lose the play-in and don't win the lottery then does that change your approach?

Its not so much about Lafreniere but rather about getting a competent front office. You could add another 3 top 5 picks but that move the needle much as long as Benning is at the helm. It might be enough to be a regular playoff team but you cant win with a GM who cant handle the salary cap, how doesnt know how to scout pro players, who doesnt know the CBA, who gets bend over in trades, who doesnt plan ahead, who rather goes amateur scouting than handling his actual GM duties, who rather hires yes-man than people who are actually qualified for the position.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Canucks luck says they both lose and get a bad a pick which we mangle badly.

How many Vancouver fans will not cheering for the Canucks in the playin round? How many will not be cheering if we win?

Canucks have effectively made the playoffs. This is what ownership wanted. They may not make money this year due to the pandemic but going forward its probably a 24 team playoffs.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

When it appears that they are on an upswing with enough momentum to propel them into Cup contender territory.

I don't believe they are there yet. And I'm certain Benning isn't capable of getting them to that point. The arc GMJB has the Canucks on seems to be peaking at bubble team territory.

I wouldn't describe your post as truculent, but I think you are misrepresenting the views of many members of team tank. People don't support the tank because they have this mindless obsession with getting high draft picks. Phrasing your question as "flipping the switch" misses the mark, IMO.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
When it appears that they are on an upswing with enough momentum to propel them into Cup contender territory.

I don't believe they are there yet. And I'm certain Benning isn't capable of getting them to that point. The arc GMJB has the Canucks on seems to be peaking at bubble team territory.

I wouldn't describe your post as truculent, but I think you are misrepresenting the views of many members of team tank. People don't support the tank because they have this mindless obsession with getting high draft picks. Phrasing your question as "flipping the switch" misses the mark, IMO.
Well I'm just saying at some point you have to go from wanting the team to lose to the team to win. No? Like, you can't have both. You either want them to lose (which is team tank) or you want them to win. Maybe I didn't put it correctly, but I was asking at what point does your mindset change? Peter10 put it in terms that I can understand a bit more, but is it as soon as Benning is gone that you start wanting the team to improve or do you get rid of Benning and then want another year or two of tanking and changing up the team before you are happy with going for the cup?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
So the Canucks would have been out because their points weren't regulation wins, but they don't get the lottery pick because that's based on point percentage?

Way to have it both ways NHL.

Agreed, it feels like the Canucks get screwed no matter what. Exactly what Bettman wants.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm pretty sure Bettman doesn't go to bed every night plotting for ways to screw the Canucks.

In fact a lot of really bad teams get screwed by this draft lottery. Detroit this season and Colorado a few seasons back were so far behind the pack, they set futility records for the salary cap era. But both dropped in the lottery. This season, Ottawa had two picks in the top five with the best overall odds in recent NHL history, and couldn't win either.

Best solution for the Canucks is just to beat the Wild, and then their 2020 pick automatically reverts to Jersey.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
You do not consider the first series victory as enjoyable? I have watched this team play great games vs Colorado this year and last. so I woul be hopeful of second round entertainment as well.

Sure it would be entertaining and fun. But they're not going to win the Cup. They're not close to being a real contender. So one (maybe) two rounds of fun for...another full season of mediocrity?

This team isn't winning five rounds this offseason. The best outcome to this year would be a high pick + Benning ouster.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
If they somehow won the lottery, would anyone be willing to trade down from #1 to get rid of 1 or 2 bad contracts? Would anyone accept LA's pick to unload Eriksson? What about Eriksson and Beagle?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Never saddle an extremely valuable asset with an extremely negative value liability.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm pretty sure Bettman doesn't go to bed every night plotting for ways to screw the Canucks.

In fact a lot of really bad teams get screwed by this draft lottery. Detroit this season and Colorado a few seasons back were so far behind the pack, they set futility records for the salary cap era. But both dropped in the lottery. This season, Ottawa had two picks in the top five with the best overall odds in recent NHL history, and couldn't win either.

Best solution for the Canucks is just to beat the Wild, and then their 2020 pick automatically reverts to Jersey.

this.

This is the outcome regardless of, the fan base we are looking for. (it will also be this outcome if season is cancelled)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If they somehow won the lottery, would anyone be willing to trade down from #1 to get rid of 1 or 2 bad contracts? Would anyone accept LA's pick to unload Eriksson? What about Eriksson and Beagle?
It's a tempting thought....but these boards would explode if the Canucks won the first overall pick for the
first time in their 50 year history, but then turned around and traded back in the draft just to get rid of an albatross contract like Eriksson's.

Now if the trade was the first overall pick; PLUS the contracts for Eriksson and maybe Myers or Beagle, just to move back five or six places in the draft, then you'd have really let the cat out among the pigeons. You'd have to really swallow twice before turning that down.

But it just goes to show....the dramatic mistakes in signing UFA's on July 1st follow you around like a bad smell for years.

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Sure it would be entertaining and fun. But they're not going to win the Cup. They're not close to being a real contender. So one (maybe) two rounds of fun for...another full season of mediocrity?

This team isn't winning five rounds this offseason. The best outcome to this year would be a high pick + Benning ouster.
Never say never, especially right now
Every team is cold and healthy, this playoff would be like October

Reactions: Levch

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
So the Canucks would have been out because their points weren't regulation wins, but they don't get the lottery pick because that's based on point percentage?

Way to have it both ways NHL.

I believe the Canucks give their draft pick to New Jersey via Tampa Bay if they make the playoffs. So this isn't screwing the canucks; it assures they are not losing a #1 overall pick.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley

You're right on this but I got half a mind to get on twitter and ask Bob McKenzie about the double standard here and see if Gary & Co. missed the connection.

Gary brings in the 3 on 3 to create more wins and a shootout gimmick he let's happen in order to bring more parity to the league. The cap doesn't help this either. So this is the results - fine lines on who makes the playoffs or not.

Regardless, the main boards are going on about how mediocre Minnesota is. Let's ope that's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad