Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

Sounds like we have no chance at first overall.

Pretty typical Canucks luck. The most likely scenario now is that play doesn't resume, which means the Canucks won't be in the lotto for 1st overall. It also means no playoff so no chance for a Cup run either. Plus losing Madden and a 2nd for a rental that played like 10 games for us, which we also can't keep.
Basically a lose-lose-lose situation for us, sounds about right.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Pretty typical Canucks luck. The most likely scenario now is that play doesn't resume, which means the Canucks won't be in the lotto for 1st overall. It also means no playoff so no chance for a Cup run either. Plus losing Madden and a 2nd for a rental that played like 10 games for us, which we also can't keep.

I wonder if the league would give compensatory picks in this case.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

On the plus side that pick will go to Tampa for the Miller trade then I believe.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
On the plus side that pick will go to Tampa for the Miller trade then I believe.

Not sure thats a plus, weaker draft next year, no playoffs, no pick until the 3rd round. Especially given the alternative of having a 12.5% chance at 1st if play does continue and we lose. Also gives benning the option to trade another 1st next year. I dont see any plus's if the play in round gets cancelled personally.

The pick also goes to the devils.

Last edited:

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I'm not sure that is a plus as there are some intriguing prospects even in the #10-20 range this draft. Although we won't have to sweat through next season praying we don't lose a top 3 pick to NJ, so I guess that is the only "upside".

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I'm not sure that is a plus as there are some intriguing prospects even in the #10-20 range this draft. Although we won't have to sweat through next season praying we don't lose a top 3 pick to NJ, so I guess that is the only "upside".

I haven't followed next years draft really, but judging from the comments on the main board, there is not even a consensus number 1, and some of them were speculating the quality of talent at 1st overall would go around the 8 spot this year.

Of course some may separate themselves if next years season begins for underage players. But who knows if it will start on time or possibly get halted.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
We could actually be without a first and a second in the 2020 draft. That’s nuts, especially for a team needing to continue building their prospect depth.

Do you think the Canucks would draft someone with 72 points in 69 games in a non lottery pick position?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm reading the same reports on the 2021 draft....seems to be a 'down year'. Would rather that the Canucks kept their first rounder this year and deferred to next year to surrender their pick.

But of course if they beat the Wild, it's a moot point anyway. And if the season ends up being abandoned altogether, they'd still lose their 2020 pick.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Do you think the Canucks would draft someone with 72 points in 69 games in a non lottery pick position?

I'm sorry, but that is a really dumb statement. Top players are drafted from non-lottery spots all the frickin' time. Look at the top 20 in scoring this year, nearly half of them were non-lottery picks: Panarin, Pastrnak, Marchand, Kucherov, Carlson, Connor, Aho, Pacioretty. Oh yeah, and some guy named Miller.

So yeah, I think it's pretty possible to get a JT Miller in a non-lottery spot, considering that's where he came from in the first place.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I'm sorry, but that is a really dumb statement. Top players are drafted from non-lottery spots all the frickin' time. Look at the top 20 in scoring this year, nearly half of them were non-lottery picks: Panarin, Pastrnak, Marchand, Kucherov, Carlson, Connor, Aho, Pacioretty. Oh yeah, and some guy named Miller.

So yeah, I think it's pretty possible to get a JT Miller in a non-lottery spot, considering that's where he came from in the first place.
Lol, all the freaking time????
I’m surprised this league isn’t full with PPG players or top 4 D
Again, ppl are taking what Miller has done for us for granted.
A PPG first line player in his prime that also kills penalty, making less than 6m for 3 more seasons.
You will be lucky to find a player like him out side of top 3

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Who cares

Gaudette’s job is to play, he is welcome to his opinion but at the end of the day fans can hope for whatever they want. All groups want the Canucks to win the cup they just have different ideas on how to get there. They are all “true fans”

Reactions: Szechwan

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020

What an absolutely absurd way of answering this question. It's like someone saying "I don't think I'll win the lottery" and you replying "Are you dumb? Look at all these people who won the lottery!"

The odds of drafting a top-6 forward in picks 10-31 are 16.1 percent (What is an NHL First-Round Pick Worth? - The 4th Line Podcast). The odds of drafting a first line talent like J.T. Miller are even lower. If the Canucks give up a pick from 10-31 for J.T. Miller, as they likely will, they win the trade, case closed, everywhere except for HF Van, the sole place where logic and reason are deployed, as evidenced by the amazing logical discussions contained in the original J.T. Miller trade thread, thankfully archived.

Also, awesome by Gaudette: HF Van "can kick rocks!"

Reactions: brock hughes007

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019

8 guys is all the time?

Your hate for JB is blinding you to the great trade this was.

Release the hate and you will feel better, or not and keep on trucking.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Who cares

Gaudette’s job is to play, he is welcome to his opinion but at the end of the day fans can hope for whatever they want. All groups want the Canucks to win the cup they just have different ideas on how to get there. They are all “true fans”
Gaudette can shut up and stick handle.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
In the likely event we lose the lottery (provided we lose to the Wild), getting 1 of Quinn, Lundell, Mercer, Amirov, Guhle/Schneider (I rather take one of the forwards), or a possible top 10 faller would be a nice add. Would still like to find a way to add a 2nd somehow, but I know that's unlikely. There's strong depth in the 5-15 range this year imo.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Actually happy a player speaks up his mind

this can't be a surprise. Of course he wants to win, and we don't expect anything less from him.

If season is cancelled then we give the Devils the 18th pick, which is fine by me if you ask me.

as a fan I am worried that pick we give up is a high pick.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Who cares

Agreed. I've been a Canuck fan for over 35+ years, and I really want to see this young core succeed in this years playoffs, but I'm not stupid, our chances would greaten with Alexis Lafreniere in our lineup.

Gaudette's comments I don't get offended by, he just want's to win, but as a fan who has witnessed 3 failed attempts at the Stanley Cup....

So Do I.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
what's he supposed to say?we wanna loose.i myself would be thrilled by landing the #1 pick..But I'm still very happy with the Miller trade if we dont get it.The lottery has not been kind to us anyways .
The lottery seems to take a special euphoria in kicking the Canucks square in the dinkhole.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
So if the play-in round is completed then the 8 losing teams get a 12.5% chance at first overall? And then what happens with the remaining 7 teams- Equal chance to fill out picks 9 through 15?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Lol, all the freaking time????
I’m surprised this league isn’t full with PPG players or top 4 D
Again, ppl are taking what Miller has done for us for granted.
A PPG first line player in his prime that also kills penalty, making less than 6m for 3 more seasons.
You will be lucky to find a player like him out side of top 3

Was that what Miller was when the deal was made?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

None of this has anything to do with what he said. Do you think it's likely a player of Miller's caliber will be drafted with any given pick in the 15-25 range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad