Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
I want this year's 1st rounder! Need to know where we stand if the season is kaput.

Out of the playoffs on points but in based on winning %. Playoffs odds around 71% per sportsclubstats. But those last two mean nothing if "playoffs" is the operative wording in whatever the clause.

Suspect/hope JB jumps on this if given the option. It's the rational thing to do and not just from a self preservation standpoint. Add another good young player able do some heavy lifting come the last two years of Bo and Miller deals, and be cheap while doing it a la Pod. Plus have his peak years overlap with Petey and Hughes as much as possible.

I'm intrigued by the potential variability in this already said to be deep draft. Going by partial season assessment only. No junior/college/other pro league playoffs, no combine, etc. I've visions of elite talent sliding galore.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Saw something on the main board about averaging the past 3 seasons to determine the standings if there’s no playoffs. If that’s the case we could be looking at around 8-10 which would give us an outside shot at Raymond. Doubt that happens but we can always dream.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Regardless of what happens with the rest of the NHL season, we know there will be an entry draft. Thank God that the first rounder the Canucks traded to the Bolts for J.T. Miller was 'conditional'. It means the Canucks are still a 'player' no matter how the entry draft is re-jigged.

So yes, against all odds, the Canucks could land a major prospect in the first round of the 2020 draft....something that didn't seem likely only a few weeks ago.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
few quick notes looking over the last few pages
-don’t get your hopes up for raymond, unless we somehow win a top 3 pick, he won’t be available at our pick even tho if it’s 8-10.
-helge grans is my preferred target assuming we pick around 12-16. stylistically reminds me of hampus lindholm and criminally underrated. better than adam boqvist.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Saw something on the main board about averaging the past 3 seasons to determine the standings if there’s no playoffs. If that’s the case we could be looking at around 8-10 which would give us an outside shot at Raymond. Doubt that happens but we can always dream.

like the 2005 draft then. it determined by how many times a team made the playoffs the past 4 seasons.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I want this year's 1st rounder! Need to know where we stand if the season is kaput.

Out of the playoffs on points but in based on winning %. Playoffs odds around 71% per sportsclubstats. But those last two mean nothing if "playoffs" is the operative wording in whatever the clause.

Suspect/hope JB jumps on this if given the option. It's the rational thing to do and not just from a self preservation standpoint. Add another good young player able do some heavy lifting come the last two years of Bo and Miller deals, and be cheap while doing it a la Pod. Plus have his peak years overlap with Petey and Hughes as much as possible.

I'm intrigued by the potential variability in this already said to be deep draft. Going by partial season assessment only. No junior/college/other pro league playoffs, no combine, etc. I've visions of elite talent sliding galore.

plot twist. draft odds determined by last years finished standings!! woot that be awesome.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I feel like Minnesota gets boned the hardest out of all this.
They either wanted to make the playoffs and were in a similar position as us (they seemed to be on pace to do it, and Fiala went into God mode), or miss the playoffs and get a high pick to continue their recent rebuild. Landing right in the middle for the draft is the worst case scenario for them. It would be like if this happened to our team in 2017.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
If they go by league standings instead of point percentage we'd pick 12th. Who'd you guys want at that spot?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's intriguing as to what the NHL will decide about some of the deadline day deals, now that the season is likely toast.

For example, some trades were made 'conditional' on teams making the playoffs and going on a playoff run. Now those 'conditions' can't be met through no fault of any of the teams. So does that mean the trades get voided by the league?

And the Canucks are right in the middle of it with their trades for Miller and Tofoli. Because there likely will be 'no lottery teams' teams this year, does that mean the Canucks automatically retain their first rounder for 2020 and still have the option of handing their 2021 pick over to the Devils (via Tampa)?

And as it turns out the Canucks traded their second rounder in 2020 and Tyler Madden for 10 games of Tofoli.

What the NHL does with all the 'conditional trades', now that the 'conditions' can't be met--will be fascinating to watch this off-season.

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
It's intriguing as to what the NHL will decide about some of the deadline day deals, now that the season is likely toast.

For example, some trades were made 'conditional' on teams making the playoffs and going on a playoff run. Now those 'conditions' can't be met through no fault of any of the teams. So does that mean the trades get voided by the league?

And the Canucks are right in the middle of it with their trades for Miller and Tofoli. Because there likely will be 'no lottery teams' teams this year, does that mean the Canucks automatically retain their first rounder for 2020 and still have the option of handing their 2021 pick over to the Devils (via Tampa)?

And as it turns out the Canucks traded their second rounder in 2020 and Tyler Madden for 10 games of Tofoli.

What the NHL does with all the 'conditional trades', now that the 'conditions' can't be met--will be fascinating to watch this off-season.

I would like to know this too. Do the Canucks keep the 2020 first rounder?

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
I've developed a few resources with regards to the 2020 NHL Draft class. I plan to continue producing entries in this series for you all to enjoy. Happy scouting!

Bonus look at 2022 NHL Draft-eligible player Shane Wright, who was granted exceptional status to join the OHL a year early:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the season is done as of the COVID-10 outbreak, it basically means there are "no lottery teams' this season...hence one assumes no lottery ball draw. And if they follow the protocol of past lock-out years, then every team in the league gets thrown into the hopper for one mass draw.

Would really suck for a team like Detroit, which was one of the worst teams in recent NHL history. And of course it'll have huge implications for the Canucks.

What happens if by luck of the draw, the Canucks end up in the top-10? You'd hope they get to keep that pick and defer their 2021 pick to New Jersey instead as compensation for the J.T. Miller trade.

Would really ease the sting of coughing up a second rounder and a Grade B prospect in Tyler Madden for 10 games of Tyler Tofoli.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If the season is done as of the COVID-10 outbreak, it basically means there are "no lottery teams' this season...hence one assumes no lottery ball draw. And if they follow the protocol of past lock-out years, then every team in the league gets thrown into the hopper for one mass draw.

Would really suck for a team like Detroit, which was one of the worst teams in recent NHL history. And of course it'll have huge implications for the Canucks.

What happens if by luck of the draw, the Canucks end up in the top-10? You'd hope they get to keep that pick and defer their 2021 pick to New Jersey instead as compensation for the J.T. Miller trade.

Would really ease the sting of coughing up a second rounder and a Grade B prospect in Tyler Madden for 10 games of Tyler Tofoli.
As a lot of us said on here before, as much as we felt the Tofoli trade was fair value, it wasn’t the right time to be giving up a grade A prospect and a second round pick for a rental.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Generally, when picks need to be reapportioned for any reason in the major sports they are added at the end of a round. I wouldn't mind seeing picks added to the end of each round and awarded to teams that gave up picks in those rounds in at attempt to make the playoffs and still had an appreciable chance of making them when the season was cancelled. This also allows teams who received picks to keep them. The Kings, for example, shouldn't end up with a lesser return for Toffoli simply because the playoffs never took place.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
What if they just push all the conditions back a year? Instead of giving up our first in 2020 or 2021, we give it up in 2021 or 2022.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What if they just push all the conditions back a year? Instead of giving up our first in 2020 or 2021, we give it up in 2021 or 2022.
Wow!. I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. Two more years of J.T. Miller, with no loss of a first-rounder until 2022? The Canucks never get that lucky though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!. I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. Two more years of J.T. Miller, with no loss of a first-rounder until 2022? The Canucks never get that lucky though.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

I like this idea, but it still has an unfortunate result for rebuilding teams that acquired higher picks that would get pushed back a year. Like New Jersey has two additional 1st round picks (Arizona and Vancouver), and their team was garbage this year - it would suck for them to have to wait another year. Especially if the team has core players currently in their prime, who they might have wanted to build around (think of the Canucks having a 1st round pick being delayed a year, while Edler/Tanev/Markstrom get a year older).

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
doesnt mean we are in the playoffs. this is just how they are deciding the draft lottery asap.
playoff format will be different. meaning we could miss the playoffs and not get in the lottery draft

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
So right now the Canucks are in the lottery based on points percentage across the whole league. Meaning they would pick 15th. They would then have to transfer their first round pick in 2021 to New Jersey unless they come up with an agreement in the 7 day period that the NHL is allowing for teams to work out conditional trades. Could be something like pushing the trade back a year. 2021 becomes 2022 if it is lottery.

I would love the Canucks to keep 15th overall and push the pick until next year. I know there is risk with Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli potentially leaving, but I also feel the 2021 draft is very weak. A guy like Raty who is projected to go 1st would fall into the 6 to 10 range in this years draft imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad