Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Might as well start the convertsation. Potential to be one of the strongest lottery classes in a while. The OHL specifically looks very strong.

From December, my most recent 1st round on 2020:
1. LW/C Alexis Lafrenière - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL
2. C Anton Lundell - HIFK, Liiga
3. C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL
4. C Cole Perfetti - Saginaw Spirit, OHL
5. RW/LW Alexander Holtz - Djurgarden IF, SuperElit
6. RW/LW Lucas Raymond - Frolunda HC, SuperElit
7. RW Noel Gunler - Lulea HF, SHL
8. C Marco Rossi - Ottawa 67’s, OHL
9. RW Connor McClennon - Kootenay Ice, WHL
10. LW/RW Kasper Simontaival - Tappara, Liiga
11. C Tim Stützle - Jungadler Mannheim, DNL
12. RD Jamie Drysdale - Erie Otters, OHL
13. C Josh Lawrence - Saint John SeaDogs, QMJHL
14. C Jan Mysak - HC Litvinov, Czech
15. RW Danil Gushchin - Muskegon Lumberjacks, USHL
16. LD Helge Grans - Malmo Redhawks, SuperElit
17. C Roni Hirvonen - Blues U20, Jr SM Liiga
18. LD Kaiden Guhle - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL
19. LW Vasily Ponomaryov - MHK Krylia Sovetov Moskva, MHL
20. RD Justin Barron - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL
21. LW Sean Farrell - U18’s, USNTDP
22. C Jacob Perreault - Sarnia Sting, OHL
23. LW Dylan Holloway - Okotoks Oilers, AJHL
24. C Dylan Peterson - U17’s, USNTDP
25. RW Zion Nybeck - HV71, SuperElit
26. LD Tyler Kleven - U17’s, USNTDP
27. C Thomas Bordeleau - U17’s, USNTDP
28. C Jean-Luc Foudy - Windsor Spitfires, OHL
29. LW Jake Neighbours - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL
30. C Mavrik Bourque - Shawinigan Cataractes, QMJHL
31. C Hendrix Lapierre - Chicoutimi Saguenéens, QMJHL

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
Hell ya this is the one. Really interesting draft 16 months out, strictly from a scoring perspective.
-Lafrienere is having a legendary QMJHL season
-Perfetti and Byfield are having really strong u17 OHL seasons
-Rossi's having a really nice year in the O after a strong u17 season in the Swiss junior league last year
-The Swedish contingent is something else (bonus Petey appearance). That particular filter excludes Gunler, who, lol.
-Simontaival and Hirvonen have strong if not outstanding numbers. MUCH LATER EDIT: that filter doesn't include Lundell btw, who had a ridiculous year

All your standard caveats apply but that's a lot of reeeeeeeeeally good D-1 seasons.

Last edited:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Holtz or Raymond would be great to have, either would be fun to watch along Pettersson. Right now I prefer Holtz but probably only because I am following him a bit since over a year now. Just an awesome talent.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
May as well start looking at 2020 now. How does Jamie Drysdale compare to Bowen Bryam as a D-prospect.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I haven't seen Zary in many 1st round lists yet. But i thought he was one of the best players for Canada at the U18s. Why don't ppl like him enough for the 1st rd?

Holtz or Raymond would be great to have, either would be fun to watch along Pettersson. Right now I prefer Holtz but probably only because I am following him a bit since over a year now. Just an awesome talent.
For me, based on int'l play, i see Raymond on another level than Holtz. Maybe it doesn't come across statistically, but the way Raymond drives the play and line is what does it for me. He looks like a Marner type of player.

Of course, disclaimer, these opinions are based on things at this point in time, things will change in a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
I haven't seen Zary in many 1st round lists yet. But i thought he was one of the best players for Canada at the U18s. Why don't ppl like him enough for the 1st rd?

For me, based on int'l play, i see Raymond on another level than Holtz. Maybe it doesn't come across statistically, but the way Raymond drives the play and line is what does it for me. He looks like a Marner type of player.

Of course, disclaimer, these opinions are based on things at this point in time, things will change in a year.

What did you think of Drysdale at the U18's? I missed basically two months of watching hockey due to other priorities so I'm clueless about the U18'S this year. Drysdale really impressed me in the couple Erie games I caught last year but it looks like he had a pretty quiet tournament, at least points wise.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
What did you think of Drysdale at the U18's? I missed basically two months of watching hockey due to other priorities so I'm clueless about the U18'S this year. Drysdale really impressed me in the couple Erie games I caught last year but it looks like he had a pretty quiet tournament, at least points wise.
I thought he had some good moments, but overall, a bit meh. One game was really shaky defensively imo. But its still early. I didn't think Byram did well at the 2018 U18s either, so a lot can change.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I hope Ottawa drafts Lucas Raymond just for the oddity of having a Swede named Raymond and a Finn named Thomson in their system

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Looks like an excellent top 10. Byfield has absolute superstar potential and IMO he should go 1st.

Very doubtful we don't move the pick to 2021. That said, Miller trade was very poor and we will ultimately get bitten by it.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Looks like an excellent top 10. Byfield has absolute superstar potential and IMO he should go 1st.

Very doubtful we don't move the pick to 2021. That said, Miller trade was very poor and we will ultimately get bitten by it.
I'm a huge fan of Byfield too, just look so much like Malkin out there. Total package (offensively anyways). Very interest in this draft class, seems pretty deep in terms of high end talent too.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm hoping we miss the playoffs this year, Benning gets fired,we hire Gilman to run the team, we keep our first and draft in the top 10 and take one of Raymond, holtz, byfield, perfetti, barron, or Drysdale, and then make the playoffs the following year.

That's the ideal situation. The top 10 of the 2020 draft is absolutely loaded.

Feb 24, 2017
The Price and Sekeres show was calling time of death on the “team tank, even referencing that the 2020 draft is very hyped. Did they not know about the trade condition? The Canucks can still bottom out and finally get the top pick, and it’s theirs.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

forget

Jul 6, 2019
The Price and Sekeres show was calling time of death on the “team tank, even referencing that the 2020 draft is very hyped. Did they not know about the trade condition? The Canucks can still bottom out and finally get the top pick, and it’s theirs.
I think they’re worried about being in a position where making the playoffs is a must or we lose a lottery pick.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So the inevitable 'death watch' for the Canucks first rounder in one of the next two seasons is officially on. I guess if they're a lottery team next season, then they defer to 2021 in surrendering their first rounder to the Lightning.

But if they're a lottery team next season, it's unlikely Benning will be around when the piper has to be paid....likely leaving the new guy without a first rounder. So they'd better make the playoffs in one of the next two seasons, but I suspect J.T. Miller still won't be considered to have been worth the price.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

forget

Jul 6, 2019
It’s pretty great that the Lightning could win the cup and have two first round picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->