GDT: 2020 NHL Draft Thread - October 6-7: Should we expect mayhem?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
New hype reel for Quinton Byfield :) this was my favourite one to make so far

Hope you guys enjoy (although the Bruins have enough skilled players already :p )

Looks impressive.

As an aside, I love the Wolves uniforms.

I had one as a teenager that I wore when we played pond hockey.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Fresh new edit :) hope you guys like this one

Is there another lesser known prospect you'd like me to cover?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
With the 62nd pick The Boston Bruins are proud to select Dylan Peterson Center US NTDP

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
With the 62nd pick The Boston Bruins are proud to select Dylan Peterson Center US NTDP

Been doing a lot more reading on him as he seems like a kid that could be there when the Bruins pick. Fits what Boston has been looking for in their centers. I've seen a few reports that say he's the most physically gifted player in the draft and his lack of production isn't due to his talent, but more just bad luck. I'd be interested to see if he were to stay at center or if they'd move him to RW. Some of the comments I've read on him:

"pro-ready frame and a very good shot. He does a good job of driving play and generating chances."

"body-type of the prototypical NHL power forward who wins wall battles and in the corners. A strong skater who can be strong on the puck and play in tight space with success. Has a big heavy shot, a long reach, soft hands and an accurate shot. Generates good speed for his size, and is very good stickhandler. can maintain control in tight space"

"very strong and isn’t afraid to use his body to dislodge pucks on the wall. Strips others of the puck with his extremely long reach."

"very good skater, with top flight speed. He generates a lot of speed through his upper thigh strength. He can blow by defenders and catch them flat footed with his dangles. His edgework is very good, giving him balance and the ability to stop sharply and continue on in a different direction in one fluid motion"

At this time last year, there were places that had this kid ranked as a mid-1st rounder and now many have him as an early 3rd rounder. If Boston landed him in the 2nd round I'd be happy with the pick. He's also committed to BU and would be right in our backyard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saxon Eric

aguineapig

He sounds like their prototype, but with Frederic and Beecher in the pipeline, would a skill center like Tristen Robins of Saskatoon be an option? Smallish, but fearless he had a big second half, led team in scoring. Plays PP, PK had a good write up in the prospect board. And hey, you just never know about a second round right shot center now do ya'.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
He sounds like their prototype, but with Frederic and Beecher in the pipeline, would a skill center like Tristen Robins of Saskatoon be an option? Smallish, but fearless he had a big second half, led team in scoring. Plays PP, PK had a good write up in the prospect board. And hey, you just never know about a second round right shot center now do ya'.

i'm not sold on robins as more than a versatile bottom 6 guy, and probably on the wing.
really competitive kid and skilled, good skater and all that. just don't know there's anything
in his game that really pops. kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. maybe could be a
peverley or versteeg type guy that can move up in your lineup.

aguineapig

i'm not sold on robins as more than a versatile bottom 6 guy, and probably on the wing.
really competitive kid and skilled, good skater and all that. just don't know there's anything
in his game that really pops. kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. maybe could be a
peverley or versteeg type guy that can move up in your lineup.
Thanks for the reply, full disclosure I've never seen any of these kids play. But I do recall hanging around the old Bookland store back in the day, reading the Hockey News and imagining the likes of Dennis Sobchuk, Peter Lee and Jacques Cossette.

Reactions: neelynugs

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
kyle woodlief was on nhl tonight last week and mentioned william dufour as a guy who could
possibly sneak into the 1st round. huge spike in production after his trade to drummondville.
could be there for boston's 2nd round pick. RW, great size, shot, hands. good down low. has to
keep working on his feet, but this is the kind of guy bruins are missing.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I've seen Robins projected all over the place. I've seen him ranked as high as a 2nd rounder and as low as a 6th rounder. Even with Frederic/Beecher in the system, you never know. Frederic could move to LW as could someone like Beecher. Even Peterson could potentially slide over to RW. Just seems like you can never have enough centers, especially centers with size that can skate.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
@lost peanut --- thoughts on mitchell smith? seems like an under the radar guy. like what
i've read and the limited video i've watched.

Born on Sept 15 he makes the draft by the skin of his teeth and the youngest player in the draft. Small guy at 5'10", excellent skater who can go end-to-end, maintains possession with relative ease, excellent vision, patience and playmaking skills. Played down on the depth chart because of all the veterans on the Saginaw blue line, so we didn't get the opportunity to see that offense night in and night out.

Of course, with a 5'10" defender, the question is how is his defensive game? Was pretty surprised how effective he is. Keeps his gap tight and can close quickly. Has an excellent stick when defending and breaks more than his share of opportunities that way. But he isn't going to win a lot of battles.

I'm not sure where I am going to rank him just yet. I see some have him in the 5th or 6th round. He might be one of those guys that slips through to 2021 and teams will wish they grabbed him this year.

That's the issue with Smith with the cancelled season. Played on a very good team with a lot of depth, but didn't get to see him in the high pressure games like the playoffs.

Going to be a weird draft my friend.

aguineapig

Born on Sept 15 he makes the draft by the skin of his teeth and the youngest player in the draft. Small guy at 5'10", excellent skater who can go end-to-end, maintains possession with relative ease, excellent vision, patience and playmaking skills. Played down on the depth chart because of all the veterans on the Saginaw blue line, so we didn't get the opportunity to see that offense night in and night out.

Of course, with a 5'10" defender, the question is how is his defensive game? Was pretty surprised how effective he is. Keeps his gap tight and can close quickly. Has an excellent stick when defending and breaks more than his share of opportunities that way. But he isn't going to win a lot of battles.

I'm not sure where I am going to rank him just yet. I see some have him in the 5th or 6th round. He might be one of those guys that slips through to 2021 and teams will wish they grabbed him this year.

That's the issue with Smith with the cancelled season. Played on a very good team with a lot of depth, but didn't get to see him in the high pressure games like the playoffs.

Going to be a weird draft my friend.
How about thoughts on Brandon Coe if you are still around Sir?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
In my own scoring system that has done me well over the last few years, I have Wisdom at a 9.6 and Coe at 9.8 (lower the better). At this point, and looking at the system, I prefer Wisdom over Coe.

they both seem to be trending around the same spot in the draft as well (3rd/4th)

aguineapig

In my own scoring system that has done me well over the last few years, I have Wisdom at a 9.6 and Coe at 9.8 (lower the better). At this point, and looking at the system, I prefer Wisdom over Coe.
Is that a wide disparity or fairly close? I know Zayde is a riser, if he's gone would Coe be a huge reach from your scoring?I saw Brock had Coe as a riser, but he liked him better than some other scouts he stated.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
My son mentioned Carter Savoie?
Savoie would be a very good value pick but he screams early second round to me,you never know though
Continuing my deep dive for the second round,I'm liking Will Cuylle LW, 6-3/204 from Windsor, Oliver Suni RW,6-2/195 Oshawa,Will Dufour RW,6-2/196 Drummondville
Not to get ahead of myself I think I've found a gem for round 3
Bogdan Trineev aka Bogdan Trineyev RW 6-3/180 Dynamo Moscow, has corrected his heavy feet,his write up is very similar to a former Vancouver Giant of years past,minus the fisticuffs/physical play

Reactions: PepeBostones

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Savoie would be a very good value pick but he screams early second round to me,you never know though
Continuing my deep dive for the second round,I'm liking Will Cuylle LW, 6-3/204 from Windsor, Oliver Suni RW,6-2/195 Oshawa,Will Dufour RW,6-2/196 Drummondville
Not to get ahead of myself I think I've found a gem for round 3
Bogdan Trineev aka Bogdan Trineyev RW 6-3/180 Dynamo Moscow, has corrected his heavy feet,his write up is very similar to a former Vancouver Giant of years past,minus the fisticuffs/physical play

With Cuylle it's how high you see his potential being. Just never took that next step this year and I worry about that. Talent suggests second round pick but I have concerns about him achieving them. Personally, I would look somewhere else.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
With Cuylle it's how high you see his potential being. Just never took that next step this year and I worry about that. Talent suggests second round pick but I have concerns about him achieving them. Personally, I would look somewhere else.
The search continues!

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The search continues!

He will go in the second round and probably should based on potential, but remember how many players drafted in the second round actually make it. He was touted as a first rounder coming into the year even by me. He'll be ranked ahead of Suni, but IMO Suni has a better chance of success in the NHL. Haven't seen enough of Dufour to comment on him.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
He will go in the second round and probably should based on potential, but remember how many players drafted in the second round actually make it. He was touted as a first rounder coming into the year even by me. He'll be ranked ahead of Suni, but IMO Suni has a better chance of success in the NHL. Haven't seen enough of Dufour to comment on him.

i like everything i've seen and read about suni, seems like a bruins type player too. expect
he will be available in late 2nd/early 3rd round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->