GDT: 2020 NHL Draft Thread - October 6-7: Should we expect mayhem?

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Made a Stutzle hype reel - thought you guys might like it :)

If there's a player you'd like me to cover next let me know!

member 96824

I keep coming back to Dylan Peterson for our 2nd. Follows the strategy that it seems this org has put into place recently:Big center (6'4), plays a power driven game, committed to NCAA (BU in fact).

Dylan Peterson is the modern-day power forward who can match his physicality with skill and speed. His ability to create chances has been noticeable this season even if his production has been underwhelming at times. Peterson has been a bit snakebitten this season with some very good chances going unrewarded. He is a good skater, generating power with a strong lower body. He has shown the ability to protect the puck quite well as he works his way through the offensive zone. He has a heavy shot that can be deceptive thanks to an effortless release at times. He likes to drive to the net and can elevate from in tight. He uses his large frame to help him win battles in corners and along the boards. He is a very good defender through the neutral zone, standing up on opposing players at mid-ice and separating the puck from the carrier. Peterson could end up being a player who falls a bit on draft day but could reward a team if he can start to correct some of the mistakes when finishing.
Prospect Ramblings: Looking at USA Hockey’s NTDP

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I keep coming back to Dylan Peterson for our 2nd. Follows the strategy that it seems this org has put into place recently:Big center (6'4), plays a power driven game, committed to NCAA (BU in fact).

Prospect Ramblings: Looking at USA Hockey’s NTDP

Does seem like he fits the mold of what Boston has been looking for in the centers over the last few drafts. A kid I like in the 2nd round (but would need to slide a bit) is Oliver Suni who is a 6'2/188lb Right Wing for Oshawa. @lost peanut had a good write-up on him (link below) and I'd be curious who Dom feels like "style wise" Suni compares to in the NHL. Other reports I've read echo similar thoughts, but true to Dom's write-up, opinions vary on Suni's shooting.

Oliver Suni – Oshawa Generals – Player Profile

Suni is currently ranked anywhere from 47th to 59th, so its possible he could be there when Boston picks in the 2nd round.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Does seem like he fits the mold of what Boston has been looking for in the centers over the last few drafts. A kid I like in the 2nd round (but would need to slide a bit) is Oliver Suni who is a 6'2/188lb Right Wing for Oshawa. @lost peanut had a good write-up on him (link below) and I'd be curious who Dom feels like "style wise" Suni compares to in the NHL. Other reports I've read echo similar thoughts, but true to Dom's write-up, opinions vary on Suni's shooting.

Oliver Suni – Oshawa Generals – Player Profile

Suni is currently ranked anywhere from 47th to 59th, so its possible he could be there when Boston picks in the 2nd round.

Suni's trajectory went down as the season progressed. That has to mean something. Whereas a guy like Zayde Wisdom has gone up - a year ago he was getting less views because of where he played, but this year because Kingston has Shayne Wright, Wisdom had a lot of eyes on him and the rankings started to reflect it.

If I am looking at a RW from the OHL at that spot, I might consider Wisdom over Suni.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Suni's trajectory went down as the season progressed. That has to mean something. Whereas a guy like Zayde Wisdom has gone up - a year ago he was getting less views because of where he played, but this year because Kingston has Shayne Wright, Wisdom had a lot of eyes on him and the rankings started to reflect it.

If I am looking at a RW from the OHL at that spot, I might consider Wisdom over Suni.

I'll have to give him a read. As much as I try to avoid it, I find myself focusing on the 6'2+ wingers and I'm sure I'm missing some better prospects that are just smaller

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Your "Wisdom" on such matters is always highly appreciated Sir. Your OHL insights always provide a "Hardie" read.

Haha. Good one!!

I'm not sure where I am ranking Hardie yet. Central has him in the 6th round I believe? I know some people that have him in the top-20 among OHL players. He's a sniper for sure at the junior level, and I think he has the shot that I consider an NHL shot. And some parts of his game translate to the NHL already.

There might be reason's he's ranked low that I haven't heard (I do hear a lot of them). Then again, it might be that this is just not a typical season of watching prospects.

Those that have had the opportunity to watch these kids from midget on up might have a better read. I have more confidence in the Bruins Ontario based scouts then I've ever had, so I am sure they've done their homework.

aguineapig

Haha. Good one!!

I'm not sure where I am ranking Hardie yet. Central has him in the 6th round I believe? I know some people that have him in the top-20 among OHL players. He's a sniper for sure at the junior level, and I think he has the shot that I consider an NHL shot. And some parts of his game translate to the NHL already.

There might be reason's he's ranked low that I haven't heard (I do hear a lot of them). Then again, it might be that this is just not a typical season of watching prospects.

Those that have had the opportunity to watch these kids from midget on up might have a better read. I have more confidence in the Bruins Ontario based scouts then I've ever had, so I am sure they've done their homework.
Not a Hoffman-lite I hope? I know his shot may be similar, hope not the attitude.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
A team I keep looking at with the draft is Ottawa. They have 7 picks in the first two rounds (all before Boston) and they have three 1st rounders. Could they be a team you could try and trade up with, but I'm not sure how trades would work if the season technically hadn't ended yet. I imagine you could trade current players under contract.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Uncertainty surrounds NHL draft process

But this year’s draft, whenever the league chooses to hold it, has the potential to be an even more pronounced wildcard. Because of the coronavirus shutdown, the annual scouting combine in Buffalo, where teams put over 100 NHL hopefuls through paces both physical and mental, has been canceled. The in-person draft itself, when teams get one more crack at interviewing players and which had been scheduled to take place this year in Montreal’s Bell Centre, is also not happening.

Just when the draft — expected to be conducted remotely like the NFL draft was last month — will take place is still being debated. The league had wanted to hold it in June, before any semblance of the season’s conclusion could take place, but it’s gotten significant pushback from some teams. If such a scenario unfolded, the Bruins, by virtue of their perch atop the standings when play was paused, would be picking last. Picking 31st is more than palatable if your team had just won the Stanley Cup to earn that spot, not so much when you have nothing to show for it.

But no matter when the draft is going to be held, this year’s grab will present challenges like no other.

“The normal course of your calendar is disrupted,” said Bruins’ GM Don Sweeney last week.

“You have late-season viewings, you have playoff stretches, the U-18s is always an important tournament at the end of the year, so yeah, you’re short viewings. Some players have been injured and they’re trying to return to play and now you don’t have a great idea of where they’re at and where their development is over the course of the year. So you’ve got some projections involved.”

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New hype reel for Jack Quinn :) best pure goal scorer in this year's draft

If he falls outside the top 15 would you trade for him?

member 96824

Just ordered Redline's Draft Guide,its ready and is being mailed out next Tuesday if anyone is interested in ordering
Always a treat to talk hockey with Kyle

Kyle’s awesome. Redline finds a great balance between entertainment and informative, love reading their stuff. Also like that they march to their own beat. They don’t care if a guy will to undrafted, if they feel he’s the 60th best player they’re putting him there and vice versa.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Haha. Good one!!

hardie had a pretty sick finish to the season, filling the net at will. 19 goals in final 23 games.
i saw ryan kennedy of THN mentioned "definitely in the top 100", but who knows. this year
is going to be weird. i do like this draft to about the end of round 4, maybe 115 guys that are
really interesting.

what are your thoughts on rory kerins? he seems more under the radar than hardie.

ps...i also like what i've read and seen of reid valade. seems to have bruin qualities.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
hardie had a pretty sick finish to the season, filling the net at will. 19 goals in final 23 games.
i saw ryan kennedy of THN mentioned "definitely in the top 100", but who knows. this year
is going to be weird. i do like this draft to about the end of round 4, maybe 115 guys that are
really interesting.

what are your thoughts on rory kerins? he seems more under the radar than hardie.

ps...i also like what i've read and seen of reid valade. seems to have bruin qualities.

Kerins:

Does all the little things. Good shot that can beat a goaltender with a high shooting percentage, but even at 5'10 drives the net and scores his share of the dirty goals. Excellent on faceoffs. Plays in all situations. Superb work ethic. I'll have him in the high 20's in the OHL, which would put him as a late third, early fourth round pick.

Rory Kerins – Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds – Player Profile

Valade:

Exceptional speed, from 0 to top speed in a flash and a remarkable separation gear. Very good shot, accomplished two-way game. Didn't get a lot of pp time and that might have hurt his numbers. Head and hands need to catch up to his feet. I'm probably putting him in the sixth round, maybe seventh.

Reid Valade – Kitchener Rangers – Player Profile

Honestly, the more I go back and re-watch video, the more I am beginning to like Logan Morrison in the seventh.

Logan Morrison – Hamilton Bulldogs – Player Profile

Reactions: neelynugs

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Kerins:

Does all the little things. Good shot that can beat a goaltender with a high shooting percentage, but even at 5'10 drives the net and scores his share of the dirty goals. Excellent on faceoffs. Plays in all situations. Superb work ethic. I'll have him in the high 20's in the OHL, which would put him as a late third, early fourth round pick.

Rory Kerins – Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds – Player Profile

Valade:

Exceptional speed, from 0 to top speed in a flash and a remarkable separation gear. Very good shot, accomplished two-way game. Didn't get a lot of pp time and that might have hurt his numbers. Head and hands need to catch up to his feet. I'm probably putting him in the sixth round, maybe seventh.

Reid Valade – Kitchener Rangers – Player Profile

Honestly, the more I go back and re-watch video, the more I am beginning to like Logan Morrison in the seventh.

Logan Morrison – Hamilton Bulldogs – Player Profile

liked what i heard about morrison. IQ guy that finds quiet ice.

valade fits into that karson kuhlman mold. no doubt the bruins like his style of play.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
really interesting.

One other thing Nugs. I've been on at least a half dozen podcasts over the last two weeks talking about this.

It's probably the best OHL draft class since 2003. But we are in a different time. We don't have the under-18's and the playoffs and Memorial Cup are not happening, so you don't get to see some of these players play under pressure.

We might see teams in the later rounds lean more to USHL, NCAA and Europe if everything is considered equal. That way, they maintain the rights for 4 years versus two years for CHL players. Longer time to make decisions on players and sign contracts is going to be a bonus for teams under these circumstances.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
One other thing Nugs. I've been on at least a half dozen podcasts over the last two weeks talking about this.

It's probably the best OHL draft class since 2003. But we are in a different time. We don't have the under-18's and the playoffs and Memorial Cup are not happening, so you don't get to see some of these players play under pressure.

We might see teams in the later rounds lean more to USHL, NCAA and Europe if everything is considered equal. That way, they maintain the rights for 4 years versus two years for CHL players. Longer time to make decisions on players and sign contracts is going to be a bonus for teams under these circumstances.

indeed, it's a really impressive group from the O. i counted around 50 guys who are legit draftees,
which includes guys passed over last year. and you're right about the trend of leaning away from
the CHL. last year you'd see teams running into the stands at the end of the draft to talk to agents
of CHL players about invites to prospect camps. that seems like the new normal unless things
change in the next CBA about limits.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

aguineapig

Mr. Peanut if Zayde is gone by our pick, in your wisdom, would young Ethan from Barrie be a Well played card?

Reactions: neelynugs

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New hype reel for Quinton Byfield :) this was my favourite one to make so far

Hope you guys enjoy (although the Bruins have enough skilled players already :p )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->