Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 2

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
61wn2NeDziL._AC_SY445_.jpg

ce3ac8e08fa7746bd36e0ef061e9b12b.gif

I hereby christen this another Mavrik Bourque thread.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Where does Hugo Styf rank on our draft board?

61wn2NeDziL._AC_SY445_.jpg

ce3ac8e08fa7746bd36e0ef061e9b12b.gif

I hereby christen this another Mavrik Bourque thread.

Ever since you wanted “Woo/Groulx” in 2018, but didn’t understand that if you reversed the names into “Groulx/Woo” it sounds like “Giroux,” it’s hard to take your draft name opinions seriously, Chinatown.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
NHL staff mock draft 2020: Changes in the top three, plus an audit by NHL scouts
23. Philadelphia: Noel Gunler, RW, Lulea-SHL

Charlie O’Connor: Philadelphia scouts Sweden extensively, so they’ll have more than enough first-hand information to make an informed decision as to whether the right move is to take a big swing on the polarizing Gunler. In theory, he could fill the glaring organizational need of a sniper on the wing, and considering the fact that he already is keeping his head above water in the SHL, he brings the added benefit of a potentially shorter path to the NHL for a Flyers club beginning to transition into “win-now” mode.

Noel Gunler at eliteprospects.com

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
NHL staff mock draft 2020: Changes in the top three, plus an audit by NHL scouts

Charlie O’Connor: Philadelphia scouts Sweden extensively, so they’ll have more than enough first-hand information to make an informed decision as to whether the right move is to take a big swing on the polarizing Gunler. In theory, he could fill the glaring organizational need of a sniper on the wing, and considering the fact that he already is keeping his head above water in the SHL, he brings the added benefit of a potentially shorter path to the NHL for a Flyers club beginning to transition into “win-now” mode.

Just pointing out that Jacob Perreault was available at that time in that mock draft, as was Lucas Reichel. Perreault probably does most of what Charlie is saying about Gunlar, better than Gunlar. Reichel checks all of those boxes as well with no negative opinions that I have seen. Gunlar is a talent though. I would have gone Perreault. Mysak, Greig and Peterka were also available.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

The Athletic having Charlie make the pick instead of @Appleyard is pretty cringe. I really don't think Charlie should be writing about prospects. People are paying a subscription to read insights about players the author has rarely, or more often never, seen play.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
The Athletic having Charlie make the pick instead of @Appleyard is pretty cringe. I really don't think Charlie should be writing about prospects. People are paying a subscription to read insights about players the author has rarely, or more often never, seen play.

Charlie saw some clips on YouTube! Maybe...

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

That's so not fair, Stiz. I can almost guarantee Charlie has watched no less of these prospects than me.

It's not much different than his organizational prospect rankings being mostly based on development camp and not actual games. A big whatever.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Yeah, Charlie is f***ing awesome but I do find his prospect insight extremely lacking. He seems to think marginal prospects are difference makers like Laczynski and Allison.

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey
Not a fan paying for an opinion, when the internet is full of them for free. Anyway, not a bad spot to pick. Bourque,mysak,brisson,reichel,Perreault, peterka,Gunler,Wallinder that’s a good problem to have!! I just hope they don’t rent a player and trade the pick.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Based on recent events, he probably picked who the Flyers told him to pick, so at least we know what they're thinking. ;)

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I think Charlie chose the guy Appleyard would have. I am pretty sure they discuss prospects occasionally. I am not sure with the cuts to staff at the Athletic if Appleyard even writes for them anymore.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think Charlie chose the guy Appleyard would have. I am pretty sure they discuss prospects occasionally. I am not sure with the cuts to staff at the Athletic if Appleyard even writes for them anymore.

Up in the air is what I can say haha. Hopefully will write more in future for them. But who knows right now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad