Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Just give me #1 and let’s cut out the possibility of shenanigans... please.

Honestly give me top 3 and I'm fine with Lafreniere or the 2 centers. The wings need a superstar winger or franchose center. Getting to number 4 just seems to make the choice more awkward. Drysdale is a stud but the wings are actually pretty solid at right handed D (surprisingly), no chance I want a goalie that high, and after Lafreniere the wingers arent nearly as good.

2 centers or a stud winger and Ill be happy, just stay top 3 and we're golden

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Honestly give me top 3 and I'm fine with Lafreniere or the 2 centers. The wings need a superstar winger or franchose center. Getting to number 4 just seems to make the choice more awkward. Drysdale is a stud but the wings are actually pretty solid at right handed D (surprisingly), no chance I want a goalie that high, and after Lafreniere the wingers arent nearly as good.

2 centers or a stud winger and Ill be happy, just stay top 3 and we're golden

If Lucas Raymond was playing 15 min a night in the SHL instead of 10, or destroying the SuperElit, I think we would feel a lot more excited about him personally.

Same player, but we would look at him differently if he had a better situation. I think Stutzle and Raymond are pretty even in terms of talent.

Reactions: AttilaTheFun

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If Lucas Raymond was playing 15 min a night in the SHL instead of 10, or destroying the SuperElit, I think we would feel a lot more excited about him personally.

Same player, but we would look at him differently if he had a better situation. I think Stutzle and Raymond are pretty even in terms of talent.

I know youre high on Raymond but still the idea of that third tier level winger in the draft doesnt get me as excited as the number one guy or the 2 centers who have separated themselves into a second tier, especially when you consider team needs

Reactions: Christien

Christien

May 1, 2010
For me I'm happy with anything top 4. The higher the better obviously, but choosing between Laf, Byfield, Stutzle, and Raymond wouldn't be such a horrible thing.

Reactions: 14ari13

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
I know youre high on Raymond but still the idea of that third tier level winger in the draft doesnt get me as excited as the number one guy or the 2 centers who have separated themselves into a second tier, especially when you consider team needs

I would also be happy with the centers, but probably not the same ones that you're thinking. Do not want Byfield! Laf, Stutzle, Raymond, or Rossi for me!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If I viewed Stutzle as a sure thing at center like you, I’d agree. I think it’s more like 50/50.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I just can’t with you two....

0d396fd1df160922f97301cb509ffd09.gif

What is your problem with franchise goalies?

giphy.gif

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If I viewed Stutzle as a sure thing at center like you, I’d agree. I think it’s more like 50/50.

So this is the more interesting one if they end up on the wing...

Would you rather have Pasta or Marner? I know my answer but I really do believe Raymond is more from the Kucherov and Pasta caliber of winger and understand why you're so high on him, I see that also not to put words in your mouth, but that would be his ceiling for me while giving both guys players we all could be very happy with. Stutzle pushes a pace at all times and incredibly well, Raymond controls the pace, those guys always intrigue me when they can put it together. Datsyuk is a guy that controlled pace for instance.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So this is the more interesting one if they end up on the wing...

Would you rather have Pasta or Marner? I know my answer but I really do believe Raymond is more from the Kucherov and Pasta caliber of winger and understand why you're so high on him, I see that also not to put words in your mouth, but that would be his ceiling for me while giving both guys players we all could be very happy with. Stutzle pushes a pace at all times and incredibly well, Raymond controls the pace, those guys always intrigue me when they can put it together. Datsyuk is a guy that controlled pace for instance.

Yeah I think Raymond has a much better shot than Stutzle at the current moment. I mean he has beaten that goalie you and @Bench are tripping over each other for quite a bit in international play.

The only concerns I have with Raymond are he has to get stronger and just add a touch more to his skating. Given he is 17 and clearly does not look that fully developed yet physically, it’s not a big concern for me.

I would be happy with either Raymond or Stutzle, but yeah, I see more home run potential with Raymond than Stutzle personally.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Yeah I think Raymond has a much better shot than Stutzle at the current moment. I mean he has beaten that goalie you and @Bench are tripping over each other for quite a bit in international play.

The only concerns I have with Raymond are he has to get stronger and just add a touch more to his skating. Given he is 17 and clearly does not look that fully developed yet physically, it’s not a big concern for me.

I would be happy with either Raymond or Stutzle, but yeah, I see more home run potential with Raymond than Stutzle personally.

i admit if Raymond was playing more minutes I’d feel a little differently about him. It’s just hard to gauge. I see his skill but I don’t see a ton of results. And that may be a minutes thing but we won’t truly know until he gets that opportunity.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What is your problem with franchise goalies?

giphy.gif

Put Merzlikins on our team and he’s probably trash. Put him on a team with Werenski/Jones and he’s a beast.

Let’s build this team up and then we can talk about who we want in net. Building from the net out is not the way to go.

Reactions: jkutswings

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I like Stutzle a lot. I just think there is more change of pace to Raymond. That is why I likened him to a Pasta/Kucherov type. I think Raymond is the purer goal scorer for sure right now. I think Stutzle is more of the jitterbug playmaker. That is why I threw forward the players I did.

I think Stutzle might play center. I do think and while giving him a super high compliment for those that want to get in the position debate there is nothing wrong with him being a Kane or Marner type out on the wing. It might be long-term where he is best. I get wanting to try him at center, frankly the debate existed on the two just listed but ultimately a winger for me when I watch him. Still will not be crying in my beer if we pick him 3rd or 4th for sure.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Put Merzlikins on our team and he’s probably trash. Put him on a team with Werenski/Jones and he’s a beast.

Let’s build this team up and then we can talk about who we want in net. Building from the net out is not the way to go.

Keep in mind I spent the last two seasons calling that guy the best goalie outside of NA, I don't think he would be trash here. I think he is a #1 goalie in this league. I do get the point. Askarov is more Price than Elvis anyway.

Top 5 goalies are top 5 goalies. It doesn't always help you though. Look at Anaheim. I don't think anybody thinks Gibson isn't an elite tender. If you have a really terrible team they cannot fix everything.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Keep in mind I spent the last two seasons calling that guy the best goalie outside of NA, I don't think he would be trash here. I think he is a #1 goalie in this league. I do get the point. Askarov is more Price than Elvis anyway.

Top 5 goalies are top 5 goalies. It doesn't always help you though. Look at Anaheim. I don't think anybody thinks Gibson isn't an elite tender. If you have a really terrible team they cannot fix everything.

If Askarov dominated the U18’s then came in and dominated the WJC, and THEN you wanted to talk about him top 5... that’s fine.

But that’s not what happened. There is a reason he fell to #10 in Bob’s mid-season list. If you are taking a goalie top 5 you don’t want to see any kinks in the armor, and I know it was 1 short tournament, but he looked human as opposed to this unstoppable force we had been seeing.

I think that coupled with the KHL contract scenario is going to lead to him going closer to 10 as opposed to top 5, despite being an elite goalie prospect.

That said, I remember we were interested in Samsonov in 15... and I would have been pissed had we taken him in the 1st... so I’ve been wrong before.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Anton Lundell, after injury, 12 games, 1+9=10 points.

Solid defensive game, 52.0% at faceoffs.
+6 in these games. +7 for season.

Also interesting that 16-year-old Brad Lambert did put 2 assists on last HIFK game. Has played now 2 games and has 0+2.

He could really be 1st overall at 2022 draft. And he is the nephew of Lane Lambert. Somehow his dad ended to Finland many years ago.

Brad Lambert at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
For me I'm happy with anything top 4. The higher the better obviously, but choosing between Laf, Byfield, Stutzle, and Raymond wouldn't be such a horrible thing.

Yzerman was #4. There were 3 before him.
I believe 2 never made it to NHL, while one had a solid career, but nothing nearly as great as Yzerman

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yzerman was #4. There were 3 before him.
I believe 2 never made it to NHL, while one had a solid career, but nothing nearly as great as Yzerman

1. Brian Lawton
2. Sylvain Turgeon
3. Pat LaFontaine
4. Steve Yzerman
5. Tom Barrasso
6. John MacLean
7. Russ Courtnall

I would that a "pyramid"-draft where #4 overall was the best player, 3 and 5 the next best, 2 and 6 the next best and 1 & 7 quite equal.

Really funny. :)

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Anton Lundell, after injury, 12 games, 1+9=10 points.

Solid defensive game, 52.0% at faceoffs.
+6 in these games. +7 for season.

Also interesting that 16-year-old Brad Lambert did put 2 assists on last HIFK game. Has played now 2 games and has 0+2.

He could really be 1st overall at 2022 draft. And he is the nephew of Lane Lambert. Somehow his dad ended to Finland many years ago.

Brad Lambert at eliteprospects.com

1. Shane Wright
2. Brad Lambert
3. Matthew Savoie

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think it is waaaaay too early to call it a weak or strong draft. Right now the top end talent of the 2022 is outstanding. Let's wait a year before analyzing the strength of the draft.

Why wait?

We can analyze if we want? :)

Best GMs do these analyzes and trade picks away from weak drafts etc. Like Dale Tallon did Chicago tanking, he did know when to tank hard etc. You can project many things from the CHL draft etc. Things will change when time goes by, but big lines won't change that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad