Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I bet Yzerman looks for homeruns in the skill department - not so much size.
Looking at his draft record - sure he's drafted some 6'1, 6'2 and 6'3 guys with 3-7th round picks. But outside of drafting Sosunov - a 6'8 monster, that's about it. No 6'4 or 6'5 guys.

He mixed in guys like Howden, Erne, Katchouk, Raddysh who were grittier forwards who likely projected more as bottom 6 forwards... and gritty defenseman like Hajek, Foote to complement the skill types you mention.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He mixed in guys like Howden, Erne, Katchouk, Raddysh who were grittier forwards who likely projected more as bottom 6 forwards... and gritty defenseman like Hajek, Foote to complement the skill types you mention.

Yeah - but my guess is that size-wise, he had one of the smallest draft records of his peers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah - but my guess is that size-wise, he had one of the smallest draft records of his peers.

Maybe, not sure.

I just think with how many replaceable players we have on the Wings roster, he will look to mix in some more “sure bets” this year as opposed to guys like Phillips/Mastrosimone to get some needed depth.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Maybe, not sure.

I just think with how many replaceable players we have on the Wings roster, he will look to mix in some more “sure bets” this year as opposed to guys like Phillips/Mastrosimone to get some needed depth.

Well, I just clicked on about 40 profiles at hockeydb... lots of 5'10 to 6'2 guys. Yzerman didn't draft a lot of monsterss... at least not beyond round 2.

Looking at Tampa's roster - what kind of guys are you thinking of?
Killorn. Did he predate Yzerman? I believe so. Pacquette would be a guy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Size is just one part of it.

Here’s the scouting report on their first pick from 2018:

Tampa Bay Lightning 2018 Draft Profile: Gabriel Fortier
Fortier, who projects as a bottom six energy forward, was the Lightning’s second round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft.

Mitchell Stephens, their first pick in 2015 had a pretty similar scouting report. Then there were the bigger guys I already mentioned in Howden and Raddysh. Erne as well.

My point is he mixed in guys who projected more as bottom 6 energy players in with the home runs you speak of. Considering last year we took some guys I believe are boom/bust in Phillips, Mastrosimone, and Tyutyev... would not be surprised if he goes for some guys like that to balance things out.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

Fortier, who projects as a bottom six energy forward, was the Lightning’s second round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft.

Mitchell Stephens, their first pick in 2015 had a pretty similar scouting report. Then there were the bigger guys I already mentioned in Howden and Raddysh. Erne as well.

My point is he mixed in guys who projected more as bottom 6 energy players in with the home runs you speak of. Considering last year we took some guys I believe are boom/bust in Phillips, Mastrosimone, and Tyutyev... would not be surprised if he goes for some guys like that to balance things out.

I could see that, he could also continue to pick boom or bust in an attempt to maximize his chances at the boom.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

I think he'll likely mix in some guys that are less boom/bust, but his drafting points towards drafting based on his teams current lifecycle. Early on he took more skill and then his later drafts they focused on more NHL ready types like Volkov, Lipanov, Fortier, etc. I would prefer we go all in on skill at all times, though I understand the reasoning behind targeting some safer selections.

On another note, after looking through TBs draft history from 2011-2017 I'm wondering if we should be concerned about Yzerman and his scouts ability to identify/develop defenceman? They spent numerous high 2nds on "safer" types of defenceman that have never amounted to anything and it wasn't just a 1 year trend either. Blujus in 2012, Masin & MacLeod in 2014, Spencer in 2015, and Hajek in 2016 were all 6'2 or taller and drafted in the 2nd round and have not developed into anything. It is a small sample of defenceman, but I think it clearly shows Yzerman has a type of defenceman that he really likes to focus on. The only defenceman that was developed by TB during his tenure was Cal Foote and he's still developing. So that's 1 out of 6 defenceman, you could argue 7 if you include Koekkok, that were 1st or 2nd round picks and did not even become NHLers. DeAngelo was drafted and subsequently traded a year after he was drafted so I'm not including him in this exercise.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think he'll likely mix in some guys that are less boom/bust, but his drafting points towards drafting based on his teams current lifecycle. Early on he took more skill and then his later drafts they focused on more NHL ready types like Volkov, Lipanov, Fortier, etc. I would prefer we go all in on skill at all times, though I understand the reasoning behind targeting some safer selections.

On another note, after looking through TBs draft history from 2011-2017 I'm wondering if we should be concerned about Yzerman and his scouts ability to identify/develop defenceman? They spent numerous high 2nds on "safer" types of defenceman that have never amounted to anything and it wasn't just a 1 year trend either. Blujus in 2012, Masin & MacLeod in 2014, Spencer in 2015, and Hajek in 2016 were all 6'2 or taller and drafted in the 2nd round and have not developed into anything. It is a small sample of defenceman, but I think it clearly shows Yzerman has a type of defenceman that he really likes to focus on. The only defenceman that was developed by TB during his tenure was Cal Foote and he's still developing. So that's 1 out of 6 defenceman, you could argue 7 if you include Koekkok, that were 1st or 2nd round picks and did not even become NHLers. DeAngelo was drafted and subsequently traded a year after he was drafted so I'm not including him in this exercise.

Excluding DeAngelo doesn't make sense to me, but I have pointed out quite a few times that Yzerman did not have the best track record in drafting defenseman prior to coming here.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Excluding DeAngelo doesn't make sense to me, but I have pointed out quite a few times that Yzerman did not have the best track record in drafting defenseman prior to coming here.

Yeah, that's the biggest learning process he went through at Tampa. Hopefully, he is now the result-maker with us.

2011: (only 1 defenceman drafted)
5th round - Nikita Nesterov (good call for low-round, panned almost, now in KHL)

2012:
1st round - Slater Koekkoek on #10 overall (bust, Top5 best guys Murray,Rielly,Lindholm,Dumba,Trouba went just in front of this pick)
2nd round - Dylan Blujus (bust)
6th round - Jake Dotchin (kind of bust, AHL def currently)

2013:
No defenceman drafted, skipping Seth Jones #3 overall for Jonathan Drouin. Then trading Drouin for Sergachev to fix a hole created by himself.

2014:
1st round, #19 overall, Tony DeAngelo. Kind of panning out now at Rangers, but looked like a bust and traded away.
2nd round, #35 overall, Dominik Masin (bust)
2nd round, #57 overall, Jonathan MacLeod (bust)
4th round, Ben Thomas (bust)

2015:
2nd round, #44 overall, Matthew Spencer (bust)
5th round, Ryan Zuhlsdorf (bust)

2016:
2nd round, #37 overall, Libor Hajek (ok defenceman, but traded to Rangers, for McDonagh)
6th round, Oleg Sosunov (bust)

2017:
1st round, #14 overall, Cal Foote (seems ok, but too early to tell)
6th round, Niklaus Perbix (?)

2018: - too early to tell.

Skipping Seth Jones in the biggest mistake ever. After that, he has been hunting those RhDs like every season. Tampa defence would be unbelieveable with Hedman and Jones.

Now that RhD thing looks like it's already at good shape at Detroit, thanks to Hronek, making that Seider-pick instead of any "drouin", and thanks to development of Lindström. Tuomisto looks also promising, but that credit goes mostly Tyler Wright (Yzerman trusted for the leaving guy, and not walking over, kind of a good GM move).

If these are our future D at right side, 50% of credit goes to Yzerman doing the right things, and rest goes to Ken Holland. and 50% of these GM credits go to Håkan Andersson. Quite sure Lindström and Hronek were his findings.

Just one thing, all these RhDs are European findings. Who's the scouting Director at Europe? Yes - Håkan Andersson. Germany, Sweden, Finland, Czech. No wonder Stevie showed door for many of our North-American scouts. That side has been lacking eye for too long.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, that's the biggest learning process he went through at Tampa. Hopefully, he is now the result-maker with us.

2011: (only 1 defenceman drafted)
5th round - Nikita Nesterov (good call for low-round, panned almost, now in KHL)

2012:
1st round - Slater Koekkoek on #10 overall (bust, Top5 best guys Murray,Rielly,Lindholm,Dumba,Trouba went just in front of this pick)
2nd round - Dylan Blujus (bust)
6th round - Jake Dotchin (kind of bust, AHL def currently)

2013:
No defenceman drafted, skipping Seth Jones #3 overall for Jonathan Drouin. Then trading Drouin for Sergachev to fix a hole created by himself.

2014:
1st round, #19 overall, Tony DeAngelo. Kind of panning out now at Rangers, but looked like a bust and traded away.
2nd round, #35 overall, Dominik Masin (bust)
2nd round, #57 overall, Jonathan MacLeod (bust)
4th round, Ben Thomas (bust)

2015:
2nd round, #44 overall, Matthew Spencer (bust)
5th round, Ryan Zuhlsdorf (bust)

2016:
2nd round, #37 overall, Libor Hajek (ok defenceman, but traded to Rangers, for McDonagh)
6th round, Oleg Sosunov (bust)

2017:
1st round, #14 overall, Cal Foote (seems ok, but too early to tell)
6th round, Niklaus Perbix (?)

2018: - too early to tell.

Skipping Seth Jones in the biggest mistake ever. After that, he has been hunting those RhDs like every season. Tampa defence would be unbelieveable with Hedman and Jones.

Now that RhD thing looks like it's already at good shape at Detroit, thanks to Hronek, making that Seider-pick instead of any "drouin", and thanks to development of Lindström. Tuomisto looks also promising, but that credit goes mostly Tyler Wright (Yzerman trusted for the leaving guy, and not walking over, kind of a good GM move).

If these are our future D at right side, 50% of credit goes to Yzerman doing the right things, and rest goes to Ken Holland. and 50% of these GM credits go to Håkan Andersson. Quite sure Lindström and Hronek were his findings.

Just one thing, all these RhDs are European findings. Who's the scouting Director at Europe? Yes - Håkan Andersson. Germany, Sweden, Finland, Czech. No wonder Stevie showed door for many of our North-American scouts. That side has been lacking eye for too long.

I think Jiri Fischer's Czech connections were big on Hronek if I remember right.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
That's how I'm feeling, too. Lots of home run swings
I think that’s a good idea too because it appears we have a lot of guys who are in that mold of gonna be a solid NHL’er (rass, Svech (less sure but still likely), McIsaac, lindstrom, Valeno, Rass, Hirose,etc) so we have the depth guys down just need the stars. So swinging on skill is smart imo because even if we bust in rounds 3-7 we still have a lot of solid future NHL’ers already. Hitting a home run on one of those makes it a massive draft as we should get a great player with our 1st

Christien

May 1, 2010
Steve walks to podium... with the #4 pick the Red Wings select from Salvat Yulaev of the KHL, Rodion Amirov.

And then everyone’s jaw hits the floor.
I shit you not I had a dream that this happened the other night :help:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Steve walks to podium... with the #4 pick the Red Wings select from Salvat Yulaev of the KHL, Rodion Amirov.

And then everyone’s jaw hits the floor.
Only if he fell to #32, than not a bad deal

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Agreed. With the #1 pick we can trade down and take the goalie. Brilliant idea.

I just can’t with you two....

0d396fd1df160922f97301cb509ffd09.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad