GDT: 2020 NHL Draft Thread - October 6-7: Should we expect mayhem?

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
I posted earlier, then deleted it.

I’m having second thoughts now.

The gist of it was that if Montreal or Pittsburgh gets the first overall pick, I just might walk away altogether. There is no way in hell that any team IN THE PLAYOFFS should draft number one unless they got that pick in a trade with the team that rightfully deserved it.

Detroit, Ottawa, or Los Angeles deserves that pick. This lottery and this playoff is one massive steaming pile of garbage. Maybe I’ll see you guys when this ridiculous playoff starts.

I’m beyond disgusted.
This really bothers you that much? Honestly it’s one player and really has next to zero effect on the B’s. None of it is perfect but how can it be playing the hand that was dealt? Everyone loves to bitch and I’m not saying they nailed all the decisions but clearly they are just trying to balance all the unknowns of how each team would have ended up. They have to hedge here...no choice really.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
This really bothers you that much? Honestly it’s one player and really has next to zero effect on the B’s. None of it is perfect but how can it be playing the hand that was dealt? Everyone loves to bitch and I’m not saying they nailed all the decisions but clearly they are just trying to balance all the unknowns of how each team would have ended up. They have to hedge here...no choice really.

It's not so much this that's really set me off... it's a lot of things.

The NHL keeps tinkering with the game trying to market the sport of hockey to Americans who don't want it. Or, at least don't want the NHL's version of it. If the NHL really wants to sell the game, how about leaving it alone and let the game sell itself??? All the shootouts, glowing pucks, stupid all star game concepts, and rule-tweaks won't attract a single fan that otherwise wouldn't watch the NHL.

Gary Bettman wants the NHL to be as popular as the NBA.

The NHL will never be as popular as the NBA.

Sorry, Gary. It just won't be. Accept it.

I guess what really angers me, is that everything the NHL does is a money-grab with absolutely no attempt to pretend it isn't. MLB; the NBA; and the NFL at least pretend to care about their paying customers - and once in a while, they actually do care. There is NONE of that from the NHL. Ever.

The Bruins fought all year to be the top seed. Now they have to play an extra game to remain the top seed? Why couldn't the NHL just take the standings as they were and launch into playoffs when play resumed? Too bad for the teams that miss the playoffs, but a pandemic happened and we're sorry about that. But the NHL just had to expand the playoff field to 24 teams to squeeze Chicago and Montreal in, so the Blackhawks and Canadiens could be rewarded for being mediocre all year with playoff revenue. It's just dragging out the playoffs even longer and increasing the chance of COVID-19 infecting more players and staff all for the sake of making more millions. I'm just tired of the NHL's contempt for the paying customers.

Not to mention that the Bruins have exactly one championship in the Jeremy Jacobs Era - and it took a Nathan Horton Game 7 OT goal to stave off elimination in 2011. The Bruins' goose was cooked, and we were thisclose to being 46+ years without a title (1973-2019).

I've always had a stormy relationship with the Bruins. I love the Bruins. I love the game of hockey. But I'm just tired of being taken for granted by Gary Bettman and Jeremy Jacobs. F*** Gary Bettman and f*** Jeremy Jacobs. I've got other things to spend my time and money on.

I'm sure I'll cool off and watch hockey again at some point. Most likely sooner rather than later, but I think I've been giving too much of myself to a league that stands for nothing more than absolute greed. As I said above, if you're going to worship at the altar of the almighty dollar, at least try to hide it.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

It's actually a fairly significant miss by the NHL to give the next franchise player to a bubble team and not the teams who truly need that talent to grow the league.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
It's not so much this that's really set me off... it's a lot of things.

The NHL keeps tinkering with the game trying to market the sport of hockey to Americans who don't want it. Or, at least don't want the NHL's version of it. If the NHL really wants to sell the game, how about leaving it alone and let the game sell itself??? All the shootouts, glowing pucks, stupid all star game concepts, and rule-tweaks won't attract a single fan that otherwise wouldn't watch the NHL.

Gary Bettman wants the NHL to be as popular as the NBA.

The NHL will never be as popular as the NBA.

Sorry, Gary. It just won't be. Accept it.

I guess what really angers me, is that everything the NHL does is a money-grab with absolutely no attempt to pretend it isn't. MLB; the NBA; and the NFL at least pretend to care about their paying customers - and once in a while, they actually do care. There is NONE of that from the NHL. Ever.

The Bruins fought all year to be the top seed. Now they have to play an extra game to remain the top seed? Why couldn't the NHL just take the standings as they were and launch into playoffs when play resumed? Too bad for the teams that miss the playoffs, but a pandemic happened and we're sorry about that. But the NHL just had to expand the playoff field to 24 teams to squeeze Chicago and Montreal in, so the Blackhawks and Canadiens could be rewarded for being mediocre all year with playoff revenue. It's just dragging out the playoffs even longer and increasing the chance of COVID-19 infecting more players and staff all for the sake of making more millions. I'm just tired of the NHL's contempt for the paying customers.

Not to mention that the Bruins have exactly one championship in the Jeremy Jacobs Era - and it took a Nathan Horton Game 7 OT goal to stave off elimination in 2011. The Bruins' goose was cooked, and we were thisclose to being 46+ years without a title (1973-2019).

I've always had a stormy relationship with the Bruins. I love the Bruins. I love the game of hockey. But I'm just tired of being taken for granted by Gary Bettman and Jeremy Jacobs. F*** Gary Bettman and f*** Jeremy Jacobs. I've got other things to spend my time and money on.

I'm sure I'll cool off and watch hockey again at some point. Most likely sooner rather than later, but I think I've been giving too much of myself to a league that stands for nothing more than absolute greed. As I said above, if you're going to worship at the altar of the almighty dollar, at least try to hide it.
I agree with almost everything you said aside from the part about it being unfair for the Bs having to play another game. When you look at it from an overall fairness standpoint and not thru black and gold colored glasses what’s more unfair the Bs having to play an xtra game or a team that was 1 point out of a playoff spot with 25 games to go having their season just end? Don’t get me wrong I think this all stinks but again they were just trying to find the most fair balance between not knowing exactly which teams would have made the playoffs and as a result not knowing which teams would be in the lottery.

Trying to find the silver lining I honestly can’t see a team that the long layoff could help more or hurt less than the Bs. With the older nucleus and the short off season after the finals and all the cumulative playoff mileage and guys like Betgy etc having never gone into the playoffs healthy... I mean there are potentially some benefits. I also don’t really worry about rust as much for the Bruins as I would other teams. Idk maybe I’m playing mental gymnastics with myself and it’s all reaching but I’m just trying to keep some perspective considering everything.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I have no issues with a draft lottery but the way this one ended up is baffling. This one is a fiasco. Every fan of every bubble team should be cheering for their team to lose.

Ya it was kind of odd if you think about it. The play-in teams collectively had a 24.5% chance of winning the lottery, while the worst team in the league (DET) had an 18.5% chance of winning the lottery. The draft lottery should have been held after the play-in round and teams were eliminated and slotted based on their final ranking.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Ya it was kind of odd if you think about it. The play-in teams collectively had a 24.5% chance of winning the lottery, while the worst team in the league (DET) had an 18.5% chance of winning the lottery. The draft lottery should have been held after the play-in round and teams were eliminated and slotted based on their final ranking.

Exactly!!

It's almost as though this is what the NHL hoped for....

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

The 24 team setup, the play in round, and reseeding was the player's decision. (among other things). That's the way they wanted it if they were to return and that's the way it ended up. It was the player's idea to include the teams eliminated from the play-in rounds in the lottery, but let's blame the league!

100% of the people are never going to be happy regarding anything, not just this. But as hockey fans we should be grateful the players and the league took their time and came to an agreement as to what was best for both parties. Did anyone hear of any squabbling that went on between the players and the league during this negotiation that we've seen with the other sports leagues?

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
The great thing for the Bruins is that Sweeney will get the same player whether he drafts at #15 or #60. Trading their first doesn't hurt this drafting and scouting staff.

Just kidding, a little, hope the Bruins snag a keeper in the 2nd.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Time to bump this thread with the draft days away.

This is still the guy I would like to land

FRONTENACS’ ZAYDE WISDOM RECEIVES E.J. MCGUIRE AWARD OF EXCELLENCE

**Maybe mods can edit the title
Yup. Heart in my throat when I saw the bump. “It’s TONIGHT?? How did I f*** that up so hard?!”

Edited. And even with no first round picks for the Bruins, I can not wait to see what I expect to see this year. So many teams in flux. I am maybe more excited for the draft than I was for Game 4 against the Lightning (on).

I wanna see some action!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Time to bump this thread with the draft days away.

This is still the guy I would like to land

FRONTENACS’ ZAYDE WISDOM RECEIVES E.J. MCGUIRE AWARD OF EXCELLENCE

**Maybe mods can edit the title

I'm intrigued. Definitely a memorable name!

Wisdom reminds me a lot of Noel Acciari - both C/RWs, same height, similar weight, same shortish but really solid build, looks strong and tough to knock off a puck, both very good in tight around the net. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and if he can bring Acciari's toughness and selflessness with a higher offensive upside and better hands, then he could be a very good player for the Bruins. Provided he ticks all the necessary boxes when Sweeney and co. do their due diligence, I'd be pretty happy if Boston could land him in the draft.

aguineapig

Simmonds has about 3 inches on him, but Wisdom has 10 pounds on Simmonds. Kid is built like a tank. Would be a fan favorite in Boston.
His stature, short and fire hydrant stout, reminds me of Normand Leveille. He would hit you from the ground up, using his trunk like legs to drive upwards and knock the opponent for a loop. Think it was Ed Hospodar who found that out one night, he saw Normand coming down the wing and was licking his chops, but Normand used his low center of gravity to flip him like a flapjack. He was a rock, would have been a star.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad