GDT: 2020 NHL Draft Thread - October 6-7: Should we expect mayhem?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
WHEN IS THE ACTUAL F****ING DRAFT FFS!?!?!?
CAN THEY MAKE IT MORE COMPLICATED???

they probably could.

the draft is after the season is over, whenever that is. and i would guess that if the
season never gets started, the draft would happen shortly after knowing there is
not going to be any playoffs.

Reactions: Strafer

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
WHEN IS THE ACTUAL F****ING DRAFT FFS!?!?!?
CAN THEY MAKE IT MORE COMPLICATED???

It's not that complicated. First pick will be determined from the 8 teams that lost in the preliminary round - 4 from the EC, 4 from the WC.

It's done this way to preserve the intent of the lottery:

1) You can't win the Cup -AND- get first pick overall. (Well, not without trades.)

2) In fact, you can't be a "playoff team" and still get a shot at the top picks.

3) If you DO get eliminated in the preliminary round and one of the 8-15 slots get chosen, you now have an equal shot at getting the pick, instead of the old 6%-5%-3.5%-etc. odds. Why this? Teams 1-7 from the bottom all failed miserably, but ended their seasons with different degrees of failure according to their PTS% - just like a normal NHL year, their season ended. Teams 8-15 from the bottom didn't have this fate - they all had the chance to go on to the playoffs with a 5 game preliminary series, but lost. But they're all "equally ranekd" in that they lost that series. In a way, this is a consolation prize in case, say, a very high ranked team like Philly loses their playoff spot. It's unfair in that in a normal season, they wouldn't have had to play that round - but as a consolation, their share of the lottery pick is higher than just being "Team H".

Now, you can say that they could have delayed tonight to the day after the preliminary round. That way you just do one lottery. That's a legit gripe. But did you have anything better hockey-related to watch? Probably not. Plus, it gives the scouting departments of teams of the bottom teams some extra time to fine tune their first round pick. They're probably stressed out enough without having the combine and regular in-person interviews. Knowing where your first round pick is going to land can be quite helpful in adjusting your focus.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
It's not that complicated. First pick will be determined from the 8 teams that lost in the preliminary round - 4 from the EC, 4 from the WC.

It's done this way to preserve the intent of the lottery:

1) You can't win the Cup -AND- get first pick overall. (Well, not without trades.)

2) In fact, you can't be a "playoff team" and still get a shot at the top picks.

3) If you DO get eliminated in the preliminary round and one of the 8-15 slots get chosen, you now have an equal shot at getting the pick, instead of the old 6%-5%-3.5%-etc. odds. Why this? Teams 1-7 from the bottom all failed miserably, but ended their seasons with different degrees of failure according to their PTS% - just like a normal NHL year, their season ended. Teams 8-15 from the bottom didn't have this fate - they all had the chance to go on to the playoffs with a 5 game preliminary series, but lost. But they're all "equally ranekd" in that they lost that series. In a way, this is a consolation prize in case, say, a very high ranked team like Philly loses their playoff spot. It's unfair in that in a normal season, they wouldn't have had to play that round - but as a consolation, their share of the lottery pick is higher than just being "Team H".

Now, you can say that they could have delayed tonight to the day after the preliminary round. That way you just do one lottery. That's a legit gripe. But did you have anything better hockey-related to watch? Probably not. Plus, it gives the scouting departments of teams of the bottom teams some extra time to fine tune their first round pick. They're probably stressed out enough without having the combine and regular in-person interviews. Knowing where your first round pick is going to land can be quite helpful in adjusting your focus.
Pretty much anything on YouTube regarding hockey, the Bruins etc is better than that shitshow...

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
There are not enough facepalm emojis in the world for this.

Watching teams fight each other to lose ought to be fun.

It's an interesting thought. Would any of the 16 teams in the 'play in' round deliberately lose their series for a 1 in 8 chance of landing the top draft pick, rather than a 1 in 16 shot at a Cup? There are a few teams that have no realistic chance of making it to the finals that I could foresee might consider it - possibly the Blackhawks, Panthers, Wild, Habs, Rangers, Predators and Canucks, maybe one or two others too. This lottery outcome certainly throws one more spanner in the works of how that knockout round is going to play out.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
On the one hand, the chaos is hilarious. On the other hand, if Pittsburgh, Toronto, or Edmonton get the 1st overall pick, we riot.

I've always thought they need to fix the lottery by limiting how far a team can move up. Maybe be able to move up a maximum of 5 spots.
Bang on

If they get through the first round and they have this lottery it should break all records for a non hockey game viewership

putting Lafreniere on Edmonton or Toronto Pittsburgh Winnipeg all ridiculous

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Maybe it'll be Nashville :D

It's just amazing to me that with how horrendously bad Detroit was this year, they end up with the fourth pick. Hey, that's what they get for beating the Bruins twice, though. :sarcasm:

Also....Yzerman is already starting to look old. Almost didn't recognize him.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Setup...NHL wants to bring more drama to the play-in games and this was their way to do it. The teams that know they have no real chance to win the cup have more incentive to lose than try and upset the higher seed.

Players and coaches don't think that way though, management does.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i like lafreniere and he's gonna be a really good player, but this isn't crosby or mcdavid
or anything like that. certainly we hope that 87.5% chance he doesn't end up in montreal
comes through, but let's be thankful it's not a year with a generational guy.

Reactions: lost peanut

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Maybe it'll be Nashville :D

It's just amazing to me that with how horrendously bad Detroit was this year, they end up with the fourth pick. Hey, that's what they get for beating the Bruins twice, though. :sarcasm:

Also....Yzerman is already starting to look old. Almost didn't recognize him.

You know that's the first thing I thought of when I saw him on the screen, I was shocked. Then again being GM of a major sports franchise is an incredibly high stress job.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I actually wouldn't even be that angry if Montreal got the top pick. Lafreniere makes them a better team, but they'd still be a ways away from being contenders.

My problem is that the Penguins were the 7th best team (by point %) in the league this year, and they've got a shot at the 1st overall pick. Then you've got Edmonton and Toronto who really don't need (or deserve) another top pick.

My preference would be Arizona or Minnesota gets it.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Pretty much anything on YouTube regarding hockey, the Bruins etc is better than that shitshow...

Yep. I've been watching NHL.tv archive games. Plenty of hockey there.

That draft is embarrassing. The bubble teams don't need a 1st overall pick. Since the NHL is set on this one time tournament and one time draft, they could have had the lottery for teams not eligible for the one time tournament. Easily.

An all star 1st overall draft pick, or getting demolished by a team like TB or Boston... difficult.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I posted earlier, then deleted it.

I’m having second thoughts now.

The gist of it was that if Montreal or Pittsburgh gets the first overall pick, I just might walk away altogether. There is no way in hell that any team IN THE PLAYOFFS should draft number one unless they got that pick in a trade with the team that rightfully deserved it.

Detroit, Ottawa, or Los Angeles deserves that pick. This lottery and this playoff is one massive steaming pile of garbage. Maybe I’ll see you guys when this ridiculous playoff starts.

I’m beyond disgusted.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I posted earlier, then deleted it.

I’m having second thoughts now.

The gist of it was that if Montreal or Pittsburgh gets the first overall pick, I just might walk away altogether. There is no way in hell that any team IN THE PLAYOFFS should draft number one unless they got that pick in a trade with the team that rightfully deserved it.

Detroit, Ottawa, or Los Angeles deserves that pick. This lottery and this playoff is one massive steaming pile of garbage. Maybe I’ll see you guys when this ridiculous playoff starts.

I’m beyond disgusted.

The NHL becomes a worse league by the year over the last five or so seasons.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
i like lafreniere and he's gonna be a really good player, but this isn't crosby or mcdavid
or anything like that. certainly we hope that 87.5% chance he doesn't end up in montreal
comes through, but let's be thankful it's not a year with a generational guy.
I liken him to Iginla.

Montreal had a bad team and is rebuilding nicely

but there are going to be a handful of good teams knocked out in round one

my feeling is Lafreniere ends up on a good team - Rangers would be my hunch

Reactions: neelynugs

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I have zero issue with the Habs getting the first overall.

I f****** them and this would be more fuel to the fire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->