GDT: 2020 NHL Draft Thread - October 6-7: Should we expect mayhem?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
i like everything i've seen and read about suni, seems like a bruins type player too. expect
he will be available in late 2nd/early 3rd round.

My guess is early third. But I wouldn't mind the Bruins taking him with the 62nd pick.

More on Cuylle:

Who was the OHL player that you were most disappointed in this year? Someone that you had really high expectations for coming into the year, but they failed to meet those expectations.

Brock Otten - That has to be Antonio Stranges. Coming into the year, I was a huge fan based on his skill level and offensive potential. And he certainly still possesses that. He just didn’t have a great year. Some of the issues that plagued his game last year (decision making with the puck, play through traffic, engagement level without the puck, defensive abilities) just didn’t improve. He has gone from a potential first round selection to a fourth-fifth round pick in my eyes.

Tony Ferrari - I think the obvious answers for me are Will Cuylle and Jean-Luc Foudy. The Windsor duo under produced expectations and while I think Foudy may have been a victim of questionable deployment and his teammates not pulling their weight on chances he generated, Cuylle underwhelmed for much of the year. He increased his physicality but his goal-scoring that came into the year as one of the more dangerous weapons on Windsor’s team became ineffective and inconsistent. He was never a razzle-dazzle player but he really seemed to hit a wall this year.

Grant McCagg - Take your pick of Pytlik or Foudy - I guess I'll say Foudy. Is he the next Rico Fata? Skates like the wind..unfortunately he also has to play hockey while he's flying. I kept waiting for the second-half breakout like Liam had in his draft year, but it never came. I question his grit and his hockey sense.

Dominic Tiano - I actually have a pair of Windsor Spitfires here in Jean-Luc Foudy and Will Cuylle. Both came into the season as potential first round picks and didn’t meet expectations or take the next step. That’s something a player can’t afford in their draft year. That said, they both have high potential, more so in Foudy’s case, so all is not lost. But their season was a disappointment to me.

Mark Scheig - Antonio Stranges. I came in thinking first round. I wouldn't take him in the first three rounds. There is talent. There is intrigue. But he is someone who couldn't consistently go up in the London lineup and left so much to be desired. He has time to fix things but he was a major disappointment for me.

Dylan Galloway - Lleyton Moore. I was excited from my viewings last year, especially when he was in Niagara. I was hoping to see more of the offensive upside I came to expect from him. While he still shows some decent offensive upside, his defensive game is questionable at best.

Steven Ellis - I've been a believer in Will Cuylle since his minor bantam season and was hoping he'd take a big step in his game this year. Instead, he improved by just one point and didn't show his dominant offensive edge he had with the Toronto Marlboros. Most scouts I talked to around the OHL draft two years ago said he was as major junior-ready as they came. He had a good rookie year, but his lack of improvement wasn’t lost on me.

Raine Hernandez - Dealing with the off-ice distractions to get to Windsor, Will Cuylle showed tremendous upside in his rookie season with the Spitfires, and on multiple occasions, showcasing one of the greatest release’s that I had seen at the Minor Midget level. In his second season, I was hoping to see a massive jump in improvement from him, and it seemed that he just couldn’t get over that hump.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
@lost peanut from your viewings of Cuylle, any thoughts on why he didn't progress like many thought he would? Read through your writeup again and love the potential if he can take that next step offensively.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
@lost peanut from your viewings of Cuylle, any thoughts on why he didn't progress like many thought he would? Read through your writeup again and love the potential if he can take that next step offensively.

A lot of times, a player gets unreasonable expectations put on him and sometimes things like the quality of his team and teammates plays a role. For example, there's a kid named Brandt Clarke who plays in Barrie who should be one of the top defencemen in the 2021 draft class. This season he posted 6 goals and 32 assists in 57 games. Those are excellent numbers for a rookie defenceman in the OHL. For me personally, I expect 15 + 55 next season while continuing to improve his defensive game. Anything less then that would be a disappointment. (If we have a full season)

I've had many people suggest to me that it is unfair to put statistical expectations on a player. I don't agree with that because I believe I have a good read on his team and his teammates.

I will agree that Cuylle has improved in some areas of his game. What he didn't show is a progression in areas that didn't need as much work while he was improving on those areas that did. Truth is, in his draft year the curve had to have an upward trajectory and he flat lined in a lot of areas.

Why? I don't know the answer to that and if I did, I certainly would have a higher paying job. Maybe it'll come later, maybe it won't. What scouts have to determine is whether he did enough on the ice. Without the combine and in person meetings, that's all they have to base anything on.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I'm skipping ahead to 2021 and hopefully the Bruins will have a first round pick because this kid needs to be a Bruin :D

Harrison.PNG

Harrison 2.PNG

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Where's Dawn Hayes?

But seriously, I wanna know what happens if there are no playoffs. Do the letter cards get picked by 16 teams? Is it by the current standings order, so that Team A is the Habs, etc?

I'm happy to have no skin in this game because we played well this season, but there's always the chance we did it for nothing.

I bet it all on Team A. I WANT CHAOS!!!!

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
On the one hand, the chaos is hilarious. On the other hand, if Pittsburgh, Toronto, or Edmonton get the 1st overall pick, we riot.

I've always thought they need to fix the lottery by limiting how far a team can move up. Maybe be able to move up a maximum of 5 spots.

Reactions: sarge88

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I may be in the minority but I think the draft lottery is absolutely terrible. People say it's suppose to prevent tanking, but why is tanking really such a bad thing. You can only tank so much in a salary cap system with a salary floor. If a bottom-feeder team wants to sell off it's UFAs and guys heading into their final year at the deadline so what? Make for a more interesting deadline I say.

Your a bad team, you should get rewarded with a the best draft selection possible. The Red Wings didn't even try to tank, they were just bad, 23 points less than the 30th overall team. And they are picking 4th? That's just awful for them and their fan-base. Meanwhile we will potentially see a team who was basically 1 point out of a playoff spot at the time of the shutdown pick 1st? I can't see how this draft lottery garbage is good for the league overall.

Reactions: sarge88 and Estlin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad