Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Once again, why would you trade from a position of strength when you have much more massive holes to fill? Trading Gibson makes zero since when this team has bigger holes to fill. Like, I don't know, potential first line players

And no, just because he has potential doesn't mean he's going to pan out. There's plenty of examples of it not panning out

Look, you could argue that Gibson is in the middle of his prime right now, right? You could bring in a bigger return of assets and get the help this team needs. You have Dostal in the system developing nicely. Gibby could bring in draft picks, and roster ready players in any position barring in net. This 'rebuild/retool on the fly' is so confusing. Either this team does a proper rebuild, or it doesn't. Your right on the potential bit, but who knows. He's looking better and better in every game for SKA.

:oops: I'm honestly a bit surprised that it garnered a negative response toward the idea of drafting a goalie. I'll just keep quiet now lol.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Look, you could argue that Gibson is in the middle of his prime right now, right? You could bring in a bigger return of assets and get the help this team needs. You have Dostal in the system developing nicely. Gibby could bring in draft picks, and roster ready players in any position barring in net. This 'rebuild/retool on the fly' is so confusing. Either this team does a proper rebuild, or it doesn't. Your right on the potential bit, but who knows. He's looking better and better in every game for SKA.

:oops: I'm honestly a bit surprised that it garnered a negative response toward the idea of drafting a goalie. I'll just keep quiet now lol.
Gibson isn't returning draft picks and roster players, no matter how good he is; that's just the thing with goalie trade values.

No one's opposed to drafting a goalie, people are opposed to using a the 6 overall to draft a goalie when we have much more pressing issues to address first.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA

Gibson will not bring in the value you think he will. Especially with there being a flat cap. Yes, Dostal is coming a long nicely, but he's not guaranteed to be an nhl goalie. The ducks have bigger immediate holes that need to be filled. You want a goalie, you don't waste the 6th overall on one.

And you're surprised you got a lot of negative feedback? You don't just trade one of the best goalies in the league, on one of the best contracts, money wise, just because you want to draft another one when you don't need to.

Askarov is not a necessity.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Gibson will not bring in the value you think he will. Especially with there being a flat cap. Yes, Dostal is coming a long nicely, but he's not guaranteed to be an nhl goalie. The ducks have bigger immediate holes that need to be filled. You want a goalie, you don't waste the 6th overall on one.

And you're surprised you got a lot of negative feedback? You don't just trade one of the best goalies in the league, on one of the best contracts, money wise, just because you want to draft another one when you don't need to.

Askarov is not a necessity.

We will see what happens in the end. Askarov was barely 16 playing like an elite goaltender at a U-18 tournament, even Craig Button was signing his praises.

I really think that he may end up having bigger potential than Gibson.

GibsonIsGod666

Jul 15, 2020
According to Scott Wheeler's Q&A today, he thinks the Duck's will go with either a Dman or Holtz. He says he would go Holtz but is hearing they could go either way.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I've read up more on holtz and would be fine taking him. Scouts are really liking his game to start this new season.

Reactions: Deuce22

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I think drafting Drysdale over Sanderson will be a mistake, I think drafting a defensemen over a forward in this draft will be a mistake.

I really think Sanderson will be better than Drysdale, everyone talks about Drysdale skating but Sanderson has that Eichel power stride, he is way better defensively and was showing offensive potential at the second half of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Duck Knight

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I think drafting Drysdale over Sanderson will be a mistake, I think drafting a defensemen over a forward in this draft will be a mistake.

I really think Sanderson will be better than Drysdale, everyone talks about Drysdale skating but Sanderson has that Eichel power stride, he is way better defensively and was showing offensive potential at the second half of the season.

Sanderson just seems so much like a player Madden would covet. If they reach at 6 I'm betting it's him.

I wouldnt be mad at Holtz, I think his game is going to translate to NHL ice really well. As much as I like Raymond's potential I also see the risks in his game.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

I trust our scouts with defensemen. If they take a defensemen I trust it is the right choice over another defensemen.

I really hope we draft a forward though. We need elite talent up front and next year is loaded with defensemen.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I trust our scouts with defensemen. If they take a defensemen I trust it is the right choice over another defensemen.

I really hope we draft a forward though. We need elite talent up front and next year is loaded with defensemen.

Agreed. Next year is STACKED at the top of the draft with dmen. At least 3 guys who project as better prospects than Drysdale/Sanderson.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
According to Scott Wheeler's Q&A today, he thinks the Duck's will go with either a Dman or Holtz. He says he would go Holtz but is hearing they could go either way.

Sounded like he was speculating more than anything. And given how tight lipped we are when it comes to the draft I wouldn’t read into it.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Agreed. Next year is STACKED at the top of the draft with dmen. At least 3 guys who project as better prospects than Drysdale/Sanderson.

After two consecutive drafts that were strong at F and thin on D near the top, the class of 2021 will be defined by the strength of its defensemen, with five prospects of equal or better quality to 2019’s top D prospect Bowen Byram or 2020’s Jamie Drysdale.

Thats from Scott Wheeler of The Athletic.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Next years draft has great D prospects if you win the lottery. If you dont then there are a heap of C prospects through the 1st round where we will likely pick. If we want a D then this year is as good as next with the pick we have.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Next years draft has great D prospects if you win the lottery. If you dont then there are a heap of C prospects through the 1st round where we will likely pick. If we want a D then this year is as good as next with the pick we have.
We will most likely be picking in top 5

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Won’t matter if you win the lottery or not. You still have a chance of getting a great defenseman in the Top 10.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Given the complete uncertainty over next season I don’t think we should be picking based on need this draft when we have no idea where we will be picking next year.

We have no idea if next season will go ahead and if it does there is going to be a huge amount of movement this offseason with good teams dumping off players for peanuts. The chances are high even if we do see a season it’s 50-60 games and over that sample you will see unexpected teams make the playoffs.

So just draft BPA. If it’s Sanderson or Drysdale so be it. Worst case we end up picking a quality dman next year and have an embarrassment of riches at that position. Not a bad thing to happen.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Top 31 in 2021 if anyone is curious. Lots of time for things to change but as of now: 9 Defenders, 13 Centres, 8 Wingers and 1 Goalie. In 2019 there were 10 Defenders taken in the first round.

1Aatu RätyCKärpät U20/KärpätU20 SM-sarja/Liiga
2Brandt ClarkeDBarrie ColtsOHL
3Owen PowerDUniversity of MichiganNCAA
4Carson LambosDWinnipeg IceWHL
5Dylan GuentherRWEdmonton Oil KingsWHL
6Kent JohnsonCUniversity of MichiganNCAA
7Chaz LuciusCU.S National U18 TeamNTDP
8Fabian LysellLWFrölunda HC J20SuperElit
9Luke HughesDU.S. National U18 TeamNTDP
10Simon EdvinssonDFrölunda HC J20/Frölunda HCSuperElit/SHL
11Zachary L’HeureuxCHalifax MooseheadsQMJHL
12Samu TuomaalaRWKärpät U20/KärpätU20 SM-sarja/Liiga
13Matthew BeniersCUniversity of MichiganNCAA
14Mason McTavishCPeterborough PetesOHL
15Daniil ChaykaDGuelph StormOHL
16Jesper WallstedtGLuleå HFSHL
17Cole SillingerCMedicine Hat TigersWHL
18Zachary BolducCRimouski OcéanicQMJHL
19Xavier BourgaultCShawinigan CataractesQMJHL
20Daniil LazutinCSKA-1946 St. PetersburgMHL
21Simon RobertssonRWSkellefteå AIK J20SuperElit
22Prokhor PolpatovRWKrasnaya Armiya MoskvaMHL
23Stanislav SvozilDHC Kometa BrnoCzech
24Zach DeanCGatineau OlympiquesQMJHL
25William EklundCDjurgårdens IF J20/Djurgårdens IFSuperElit/SHL
26Isak RosénLWLeksands IF J20SuperElit
27Sean BehrensDU.S. National U18 TeamNTDP
28Brennan OthmannLWFlint FirebirdsOHL
29Nikita ChibrikovWSKA-1946 St. PetersburgMHL
30Anton OlssonDMalmö Redhawks J20/Malmö RedhawksSuperElit/SHL
31Logan StankovenC/WKamloops BlazersWHL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: rlstine

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
The more I look into this draft the more I think Perfetti is the guy I hope falls to us at 6. He checks all the boxes. I know his skating is questionable but how many of the top players in the league today have "skating" as their best attribute? Maybe McDavid and Point. But most of the best players are the smart players, and Perfetti is so smart (OHL Scholastic Player of the Year!).

If Detroit goes for Raymond/Rossi and then Ottawa takes Drysdale/Sanderson, taking Perfetti at 6 would be my ideal outcome.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
So give up assets to get a guy who most definitely isn’t going in the top 5, and who also doesn’t solve any pressing need and most certainly isn’t going to be the BPA...terrible idea in every aspect lol
I meant trade up from our end of first round pick. Lol not our 6

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I meant trade up from our end of first round pick. Lol not our 6
even then, that's a HUGE leap. Sanderson is probably going in early teens at the latest; so jumping from the 27th pick to there would require moving an asset on the level of Rakell or Manson. Don't think Sanderson is worth that.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The more I look into this draft the more I think Perfetti is the guy I hope falls to us at 6. He checks all the boxes. I know his skating is questionable but how many of the top players in the league today have "skating" as their best attribute? Maybe McDavid and Point. But most of the best players are the smart players, and Perfetti is so smart (OHL Scholastic Player of the Year!).

If Detroit goes for Raymond/Rossi and then Ottawa takes Drysdale/Sanderson, taking Perfetti at 6 would be my ideal outcome.
Perfetti and Rossi are the two I like the most. Id love a d and if madden thinks there is a good one @ 6 I trust him and I'm stoked.

Reactions: Duck Off

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Rossi
Raymond
Perfetti
Sanderson
Drysdale

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
even then, that's a HUGE leap. Sanderson is probably going in early teens at the latest; so jumping from the 27th pick to there would require moving an asset on the level of Rakell or Manson. Don't think Sanderson is worth that.
No way it takes Rakell to go from 27 to the mid teens. Usually you trade up if a guy falls and you had him rated way higher. A good example is probably Sanderson falling to 18 & us trading 27 & our 2nd for the 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->