• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hershey has been fine. This is his 3rd or 4th time doing it. I think it’s a little overblown to be honest. The one you can really gripe about is trading up to take Nathan Walker. Other than that, the jury is still out. He traded up for Vanecek who could easily be on the roster this year. If the players make the NHL, who cares?

This is the 8th time GMBM has done it. He's traded up at least once in each of the past three drafts. I agree that Nathan Walker is the most flagrant example, but trading up in the mid and later rounds is poor form in general (since all later round picks are generally low percentage, it's best to hedge your bets with multiple picks). So far the only player he's traded up for that's made the NHL is Jonas Siegenthaler. They've already decided to walk away from Alex Kannok-Leipert by not offering him a contract, and he was one of the targets they valued enough to trade up for.

And with the Lundqvist rumors, it's looking increasingly like Vanecek won't be on the roster. Trading up from 44 to snatch Vanecek at 39 was a panic move when there had been a mini-run on goalies in the picks before that point. Vanecek was not forecast to be a 2nd rounder, and I'm relatively confident they could have still got him at 44 if they wanted. And you also have to consider that they moved up for Vanecek while Ilya Sorokin, Elvis Merzlikins, Joe Johansson, and Ville Husso were still on the board. Even if they missed out on Vanecek, they could have easily grabbed a goalie with similar or better promise at 44 (or later) anyway.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Bogdan Trineev - #80 on RLR's list. "Plays like a freight train barreling down the tracks."

Big power winger was written off by most scouts after last August's Hlinka Cup, when his boots appeared heavy and ponderous. But he has vastly improved his skating since last summer, and he's always been a horse down low around the net. Nobody can stop him from getting wherever he wants to go as he just runs over any defender in his way. Sets up shot in the crease, causing traffic and screening goalies - impossible to move. Makes great wide drives on the rush, cutting hard to the net while dropping the leg to protect the puck. Has a long reach on spins and wrap-around shots. Adjusts hands well to receive tough passes in tight. Understands who he is as a player and plays to his strengths. Does excellent work stationed down beside the net on the PP, getting cross-crease fees through and creating havoc. Powerful horse doesn't get enough credit for his finesse skills.

Projects: Crease-crashing 3rd line power winger.
Style compares to: James van Riemsdyk

#3 on RLR's Mid-round sleepers worth a look: Big, strong, physical tank with good hands. Some scouts knock his skating, but they must not have seen him recently, 'cause his boots improved dramatically.

(Personal note - his name's Bogdan; I'm in.)

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
This is the 8th time GMBM has done it. He's traded up at least once in each of the past three drafts. I agree that Nathan Walker is the most flagrant example, but trading up in the mid and later rounds is poor form in general (since all later round picks are generally low percentage, it's best to hedge your bets with multiple picks). So far the only player he's traded up for that's made the NHL is Jonas Siegenthaler.

And with the Lundqvist rumors, it's looking increasingly like Vanecek won't be on the roster. Trading up from 44 to snatch Vanecek at 39 was a panic move when there had been a mini-run on goalies in the picks before that point. Vanecek was not forecast to be a 2nd rounder, and I'm relatively confident they could have still got him at 44 if they wanted. And you also have to consider that they moved up for Vanecek while Ilya Sorokin, Elvis Merzlikins, Joe Johansson, and Ville Husso were still on the board. Even if they missed out on Vanecek, they could have easily grabbed a goalie with similar or better promise at 44 (or later) anyway.
Traded up for Siegenthaler, he’s been one of the Caps’ better non 1st round picks of the last 25 years, for Protas, looks like one of the best non 1st or 2nd round picks of the same 25 years.
Washington Capitals Draft Picks | Hockey-Reference.com

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Dynamo Moscow, not Dynamo Minsk.

Chromiak to LAK.

He's not even in the KHL, he's in the MHL. And even so, he's part of the Dynamo Minsk organization, not the Dynamo Moscow org.

Ah you guys are right. I just noticed the Dynamo MSK. I didn't realize that its 2 different leagues, locations and teams.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This is the 8th time GMBM has done it. He's traded up at least once in each of the past three drafts. I agree that Nathan Walker is the most flagrant example, but trading up in the mid and later rounds is poor form in general (since all later round picks are generally low percentage, it's best to hedge your bets with multiple picks). So far the only player he's traded up for that's made the NHL is Jonas Siegenthaler. They've already decided to walk away from Alex Kannok-Leipert by not offering him a contract, and he was one of the targets they valued enough to trade up for.

As always, we all know YOU would have done much better and completely aced each and every pick and trade options, for the last 7 years.

Beyond reproach.

We get it. We really do.

Reactions: crab

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Traded up for Siegenthaler, he’s been one of the Caps’ better non 1st round picks of the last 25 years, for Protas, looks like one of the best non 1st or 2nd round picks of the same 25 years.
Washington Capitals Draft Picks | Hockey-Reference.com

That's a rather optimistic view of Siegenthaler only 90 games into his NHL career. I have hope he can stick at the NHL level for a while, but non-1st rounders for the Capitals in the past 25 years include Braden Holtby, Dmitry Orlov, Philipp Grubauer, Mathieu Perreault, and Johnny Oduya. I'm definitely not ready to put him in the company of those players yet. He's not even on the level of Eakin, Stephenson, or Neuvirth yet.

And Protas is promising, but let's have a little patience here. We were all pretty hyped on Stan Galiev and Madison Bowey in their Draft+1 seasons, and we saw how that worked out.

More to the point, they've also traded up for guys like Nathan Walker (who I've written about his bizarre asset management in the past before), Alex Kannok-Leipert (who they didn't offer a contract), Martin Hugo-Has, and Steven Spinner (also not offered a contract).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Some remaining options: Rashevsky, McClennon, Miettinen, Francis, Hardie, Pashin, Sedoff, Rolston, Oksentyuk, Kerins, Rafkin, Suni, Malik, Hlavaj, Novak, Zlodeyev, Kubicek.

The RD Rafkin pops as someone fitting their profile.

I've liked Toronto's draft.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
That's a rather optimistic view of Siegenthaler only 90 games into his NHL career. I have hope he can stick at the NHL level for a while, but non-1st rounders for the Capitals in the past 25 years include Braden Holtby, Dmitry Orlov, Philipp Grubauer, Mathieu Perreault, and Johnny Oduya. I'm definitely not ready to put him in the company of those players yet. He's not even on the level of Eakin, Stephenson, or Neuvirth yet.

And Protas is promising, but let's have a little patience here. We were all pretty hyped on Stan Galiev and Madison Bowey in their Draft+1 seasons, and we saw how that worked out.

More to the point, they've also traded up for guys like Nathan Walker (who I've written about his bizarre asset management in the past before), Alex Kannok-Leipert (who they didn't offer a contract), Martin Hugo-Has, and Steven Spinner (also not offered a contract).
I had Sieg behind all those players except Neuvirth as the 8th best player since Zednik. If you’ve got him 9th that’s still very high from an enormous sample size of guys that never made it to the NHL because non 1st round pick aren’t worth much.

Maybe I’m biased because I’m a sizeist and Protas is one of the biggest things I’ve ever seen on skates but he’s easily ahead of that group of guys.

Last edited:

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Bear Hughes at eliteprospects.com

The most exciting part of Bear's game is that he's, well, a bear on the puck. Strength allows him to win battles from disadvantage positions and shrug off checks. He keeps the puck across his hips, putting weight over stick and making him tricky to dispossess. With pressure bearing down, he integrates look offs and changes of pace to misdirect defenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad