2020 NHL Draft: Fisher’s First Round Mock Scenarios

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Depending on how these conditional picks work out, Rossi at #6, Sanderson at #10 and Askarov at #17 would be the ideal draft, IMO, for the Devils.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Depending on how these conditional picks work out, Rossi at #6, Sanderson at #10 and Askarov at #17 would be the ideal draft, IMO, for the Devils.
Do you think NJ drafts another C with their highest pick, despite having taken both Hischier and Hughes 1st overall in recent drafts?

I don't think they pass on Holtz or Raymond with their top pick if either is still available when they pick. Then they'll hope to grab Askarov with their 2nd, and a Dman (eg. Guhle or Schneider) with the 3rd pick.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Do you think NJ drafts another C with their highest pick, despite having taken both Hischier and Hughes 1st overall in recent drafts?

I don't think they pass on Holtz or Raymond with their top pick if either is still available when they pick. Then they'll hope to grab Askarov with their 2nd, and a Dman (eg. Guhle or Schneider) with the 3rd pick.

I really don’t see Raymond as a solid pick at #6 and if Rossi is off the board, Holtz would be a very solid alternative.

I think a realistic top #3 would be...

- Rossi
- Drysdale
- Holtz

With the 10th overall pick, depending who we pick at #6, I don’t see us passing on Sanderson, if he’s still there. If we were fortunate enough to land Drysdale with our own pick and nobody from the top #8 falls at #10, I’d be thrilled with Jack Quinn.

As for the 17th overall pick, I’d like Jan Mysak or Dawson Mercer if Askarov is old the board. Ideally, we’d use that pick to trade for a proven dmen since that’s our main weakness at the moment.

All in all, New Jersey has a lot of ammo in the current draft to land 3 very stellar prospects or swing a move that can help them out as soon as the hockey season gets underway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I really don’t see Raymond as a solid pick at #6 and if Rossi is off the board, Holtz would be a very solid alternative.

I think a realistic top #3 would be...

- Rossi
- Drysdale
- Holtz

With the 10th overall pick, depending who we pick at #6, I don’t see us passing on Sanderson, if he’s still there. If we were fortunate enough to land Drysdale with our own pick and nobody from the top #8 falls at #10, I’d be thrilled with Jack Quinn.

As for the 17th overall pick, I’d like Jan Mysak or Dawson Mercer if Askarov is old the board. Ideally, we’d use that pick to trade for a proven dmen since that’s our main weakness at the moment.

All in all, New Jersey has a lot of ammo in the current draft to land 3 very stellar prospects or swing a move that can help them out as soon as the hockey season gets underway.

That Vancouver pick, at 17th overall, will be an interesting decision for the league — whether the Devils get it for 2020 or 2021. Vancouver might still have some say in the matter too, depending on the playoff plans.

As for your targets, all good options, but don't underestimate Raymond. I really believe his upside is similar to Elias Pettersson as a winger and better than Patrik Elias in his prime, so that player would look real nice in New Jersey.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
My dream scenario for the sens is

2/3: Byfield & Stutzle
Islanders pick: Jack Quinn, Hendricks Lapierre and Lundell(unlikely to say the least)

Honestly im fine with detroit getting the number 1 pick as long as we can get Byfield and stutzle

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
That Vancouver pick, at 17th overall, will be an interesting decision for the league — whether the Devils get it for 2020 or 2021. Vancouver might still have some say in the matter too, depending on the playoff plans.

As for your targets, all good options, but don't underestimate Raymond. I really believe his upside is similar to Elias Pettersson as a winger and better than Patrik Elias in his prime, so that player would look real nice in New Jersey.

I’m not sold on Raymond just yet and I personally wouldn’t pick him over the 3 players I listed.

Granted, David Conte isn’t in charge anymore and I have the upmost confidence in Paul Castron but the Devils have had their share of flops when it comes to undersized Swedish forwards.

If Raymond is the guy Castron likes, I won’t be mad since he has a ton of upside but let’s just say I’d be happier with Rossi, Drysdale or Holtz.

If he has somewhat of the same career as Patrick Elias had, he’d be going to #3 for sure. Elias is probably one of the most underrated stars to ever play in the NHL. The level of recognition he got was minuscule because he played on a team that had a great system, mostly defensive, with 3 HOF’ers behind him in Stevens, Niedermayer and Brodeur.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptTeneile

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
My dream scenario for the sens is

2/3: Byfield & Stutzle
Islanders pick: Jack Quinn, Hendricks Lapierre and Lundell(unlikely to say the least)

Honestly im fine with detroit getting the number 1 pick as long as we can get Byfield and stutzle

Yeah, that would be a happy ending for the Sens to say the least. We'll find out that draft order soon enough by the sounds of it.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I’m not sold on Raymond just yet and I personally wouldn’t pick him over the 3 players I listed.

Granted, David Conte isn’t in charge anymore and I have the upmost confidence in Paul Castron but the Devils have had their share of flops when it comes to undersized Swedish forwards.

If Raymond is the guy Castron likes, I won’t be mad since he has a ton of upside but let’s just say I’d be happier with Rossi, Drysdale or Holtz.

If he has somewhat of the same career as Patrick Elias had, he’d be going to #3 for sure. Elias is probably one of the most underrated stars to ever play in the NHL. The level of recognition he got was minuscule because he played on a team that had a great system, mostly defensive, with 3 HOF’ers behind him in Stevens, Niedermayer and Brodeur.

That is fair and I realize how special Elias was, but if you've been following my rankings you'd know that Raymond has been my No. 2 prospect from wire to wire for 2020. I really believe in him, really see that elite level — like I said, Elias Pettersson as a winger. Raymond's shot isn't quite as lethal (yet), but he is a better/nicer skater than Pettersson. That is the comparison I'm going with.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.

This would be another home-run scenario, for sure. And it is totally within the realm of possibility.

It is sounding more like the Devils will be getting that 17th pick from Vancouver (via Tampa Bay), but I won't be changing it up for this mock series in the meantime. Once those picks are finalized, I'll have the official draft order for my seven-round mock(s), which will be a work in progress throughout this month — assuming we are gearing up for a June 5 draft.

Reactions: CaptTeneile

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
As always your scenarios are thought-provoking. I think all 3 Germans should go in the first, but would be surprised if it happens

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
As always your scenarios are thought-provoking. I think all 3 Germans should go in the first, but would be surprised if it happens

That is a tough one, I think at least two will, but I've had scenarios with just Stutzle and scenarios with all three. It would be a great story if all three did go in the first round, but it'll be a great story regardless with all three sure to go in the top 50!

Reactions: emptyNedder

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Mock 8 would be favourable for the Rangers and fathomable through the top 20 followed by a few reaches for Ottawa, Dallas and St. Louis in rounding out the first round of the 2020 NHL Draft:

The reaches make some sense: without the U18 tournament it is difficult to know where some scouts will have European players like Niederbach and Hirvonen (both have some 1st round qualities); and who would question St. Louis for drafting a tall blue liner.

Reactions: Larry Fisher

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
The reaches make some sense: without the U18 tournament it is difficult to know where some scouts will have European players like Niederbach and Hirvonen (both have some 1st round qualities); and who would question St. Louis for drafting a tall blue liner.

That was my thinking and just trying to keep this series interesting with a few new selections for each mock, but I also want to keep it as realistic as possible — or within the realm of possibility haha

Reactions: emptyNedder

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
As much as I love Rossi, there’s just no way NJ passes up on Stutzle at #6, none.

Never say never, I'm a big fan of Stutzle and his stock has soared in the online scouting community since the World Juniors, but it sounds like NHL teams aren't all sold on him or still have others ranked ahead of him based on more exposure/bigger sample size. For example, teams have been watching Rossi very closely for two seasons already in the OHL — he is more of a known commodity and he had an amazing draft year, so hard to say no way New Jersey passes on Stutzle for Rossi, especially when New Jersey already has four prospects as junior teammates of Rossi (Bahl, Okhotyuk, Hoelscher and Clarke). The Devils will know Rossi better than anyone, so I could totally see them taking Rossi over Stutzle.

For more analysis on those top-10 picks, revert back to mock 8.0 which is linked prior to the top 10 at the top and again at the bottom (along with all the other mocks in this series).

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Never say never, I'm a big fan of Stutzle and his stock has soared in the online scouting community since the World Juniors, but it sounds like NHL teams aren't all sold on him or still have others ranked ahead of him based on more exposure/bigger sample size. For example, teams have been watching Rossi very closely for two seasons already in the OHL — he is more of a known commodity and he had an amazing draft year, so hard to say no way New Jersey passes on Stutzle for Rossi, especially when New Jersey already has four prospects as junior teammates of Rossi (Bahl, Okhotyuk, Hoelscher and Clarke). The Devils will know Rossi better than anyone, so I could totally see them taking Rossi over Stutzle.

For more analysis on those top-10 picks, revert back to mock 8.0 which is linked prior to the top 10 at the top and again at the bottom (along with all the other mocks in this series).

Thanks for doing this much appreciated.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Mock 9 presents another fairly realistic scenario for the first round of the 2020 NHL Draft despite some surprising fallers that landed in the laps of the Rangers, Capitals, Blues and Ducks, who prevented those prospects from sliding out of the top 31. St. Louis and Edmonton should be ecstatic with these results, but the Rangers’ fans might revolt: https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-mock-draft-first-round-scenarios-9/

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Mock 9 presents another fairly realistic scenario for the first round of the 2020 NHL Draft despite some surprising fallers that landed in the laps of the Rangers, Capitals, Blues and Ducks, who prevented those prospects from sliding out of the top 31. St. Louis and Edmonton should be ecstatic with these results, but the Rangers’ fans might revolt: https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-mock-draft-first-round-scenarios-9/

I like the Ottawa picks . 5 and 6 is pretty much worst case as far as spots but to come away with Drysdale and Raymond .. I am definitely ok with. I have both in my top 5. Mysak at 21 is also a good pick. :thumbu: from this Sens fan and draft enthusiast.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If Colorado are going to reach for Finnish prospect then it will be Topi Niemelä. Not a fan of the others.

I like the boldness with the Gunler pick; think he could be a low-key good pick and his game seems very "NHL" to me, lot's of dirty goals. Jarvis to Chicago at 10 looks intriguing too.

Askarov at 23 and Mercer at 30 would be steals.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think Greig would be an awful first round pick I dont see him having top six potential at all, which is something you should be looking for in a first rounder.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
If Colorado are going to reach for Finnish prospect then it will be Topi Niemelä. Not a fan of the others.

I like the boldness with the Gunler pick; think he could be a low-key good pick and his game seems very "NHL" to me, lot's of dirty goals. Jarvis to Chicago at 10 looks intriguing too.

Askarov at 23 and Mercer at 30 would be steals.

Niemela could certainly go in the first round, even though he has yet to be taken in this series (one more mock to come). I personally prefer those Finnish forwards.

Askarov and Mercer could definitely be steals at those spots.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I think Greig would be an awful first round pick I dont see him having top six potential at all, which is something you should be looking for in a first rounder.

Very few prospects taken in the late twenties (bottom third of the first round) turn into top-six forwards. Many turn into third and fourth liners if they make it. So nothing wrong with drafting a middle-six centre, especially when you have Couture and Hertl anchoring the top two lines for the foreseeable future with question marks for the bottom two lines. Greig would be a bit of a reach, but he could/should be a better version of Noah Gregor or Dylan Gambrell and you certainly need those types to have success. I get what you are saying, but I wouldn’t be too disappointed with Greig at that spot. I wouldn’t rule it out either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->