NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XIII [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
I wonder if the number of trades are going to be affected if the draft is held virtually? We used to see GMs getting together in small groups talking, then one would take another by the arm & have a sidebar. That used to be fun to see & drive speculation, but won't be happening with a virtual draft.

Do people think there could be less trades because of this, the same or maybe even more? With today's electronics & platforms like Zoom it may not matter, but it should certainly be a little different.
Definitely a possibility. There was zero movement at the top of the NFL draft this year for this reason

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
What I'm hoping for:

3rd: Quinton Byfield
5th: Marco Rossi/Lucas Raymond
28th: Lukas Reichel
33rd: Ozzy Wiesblatt

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Detroit takes Drysdale at #4 and NJ wants Sanderson at #5.

Would you make this trade?

ott: 7, 18
NJ: 5, 28

Assuming that Sanderson goes at 5 and Raymond and Perfetti are to pick so guarantee you get one at #7.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Assuming that Sanderson goes at 5 and Raymond and Perfetti are to pick so guarantee you get one at #7.

Are we legally allowed to hold them to drafting Sanderson as a trade condition?

I'm not sure that's possible.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

No, I want Sanderson at #5. However, if they wanted Raymond, Drysdale, Perfetti or Rossi at #5 I would probably do it, if I could still get Sanderson at #7.

Reactions: Tuna99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

this would be more of ‘you have my word’ I imagine type of deal. Otherwise would have to do NBA style where you draft the players and then trade them after which I always found bizarre.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

If that’s a deal you want to make then you take Sanderson and complete the deal once the pick is made.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
No, I want Sanderson at #5. However, if they wanted Raymond, Drysdale, Perfetti or Rossi at #5 I would probably do it, if I could still get Sanderson at #7.

If they go Sanderson at #5 I think it slows things down a bit. He’s in a Pieternagelo deal when he’s drafted the ceiling is high but needs 3-4 years to develop and not 1-2. Would rather see a player at #5 that can come into their roll full time by the start of the 21-22 season (ie PP and 5 on 5 time) and I think Raymond or Perfetti could do that faster then Sanderson can.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
HOLY SCHNIKES!!!! If he's like this all the time I would not be mad if the Sens picked him at 5. He could very well be the Sens starting goaltender in 2022/23 season.

Reactions: aragorn

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If they go Sanderson at #5 I think it slows things down a bit. He’s in a Pieternagelo deal when he’s drafted the ceiling is high but needs 3-4 years to develop and not 1-2. Would rather see a player at #5 that can come into their roll full time by the start of the 21-22 season (ie PP and 5 on 5 time) and I think Raymond or Perfetti could do that faster then Sanderson can.

I think he's the most NHL ready Dman in this years crop. Drysdale looking great but he still has to get stronger to make it and he'll have to adapt from the OHL where there's very little defensive structure to the NHL where teams are just very good at cloging the NZ making it harder for a Dman to rush the puck. Sanderson already has that grind to his game and he's relying a lot more on passing on the breakout and playing well positionally than Drysdale who's more active on the ice.

I think both of them need a year to figure it out but if I had to take a bet I would put my money on Sanderson having the better chance of adapting quickly. I think I get what you're saying though, It could take more time for Sanderson to reach his full potential.

Reactions: aragorn

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Looks like his athleticism is off the charts
It really is crazy good. Don't think the Sens would take the chance. But what a player this kid will be. My guess it's between Raymond, Sanderson following with Rossi/Perfetti/Drysdale pretty close. Askarov is the darkhorse pick and the Sens have to be discussing him at 5 for sure.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It really is crazy good. Don't think the Sens would take the chance. But what a player this kid will be. My guess it's between Raymond, Sanderson following with Rossi/Perfetti/Drysdale pretty close. Askarov is the darkhorse pick and the Sens have to be discussing him at 5 for sure.
Would be a terrible choice at 5 when we need high end players at every other position

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Would be a terrible choice at 5 when we need high end players at every other position
Yeah for sure they do need high end talent. Just stating it's probably in discussion at 5. Having a generational goaltender would really set up the future for the Sens.

Again the likelihood of the Sens actually making this pick happen is pretty slim.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It'd be pretty dissapointing to grab him at 5 for sure given our situation. I could see a team like Toronto try and trade up to get him or otherwise Edmonton could make sense. Maybe Carolina.

He likely goes in that 13-15 range.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Used Bob’s Ranking. Took no prisoners.

(3) Quinton Byfield, C
(5) Marco Rossi, C
(28) Noel Gunler, RW/LW
(33) Jan Mysak, LW/C
(51) Roby Jarventie, LW
(58) Eemil Viro, LD
(59) Joni Jurmo, LD
(63) Brandon Coe, RW
(70) Jaromir Pytlik, C
(94) William Villeneuve, RD
(154) Maximilian Glotzl, LD
(157) Axel Rindell, RD
(180) Ville Ottavainen, RD

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
HOLY SCHNIKES!!!! If he's like this all the time I would not be mad if the Sens picked him at 5. He could very well be the Sens starting goaltender in 2022/23 season.

Would be a silly pick for the Sens given that we have Hogberg, Sogaard, Daccord, Mandolese and Gustavsson.

Not that any of those guys are on Askarov's level, but we have so many needs elsewhere and you have to at least hope one of those goalies can develop into a starter.

We should look to acquire an established starter over the next couple years, don't need another prospect in the pipeline.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I don't know about that, I guess we'll have to wait & see, but I think Sanderson helps this team become a playoff team quicker than either of those two. And with these 9 forwards below the need is greater on defence with the 5th OA pick IMO.

Tkachuk - L. Brown - Batherson
Duclair - Norris - C. Brown
Formenton - White - Pinto

Would also love for them to find a way to make a trade to acquire Askarov.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I still prefer the following picks for 3rd and 5th:
3rd - Byfield/Stutzle
5th - Byfield/Stutzle/Raymond/Drysdale (in that order if available)

Hopefully Dorion can trade up to get a third but higher first round pick by spending the NYI pick plus some of the 2nd and 3rd round picks we have. I would like to get Sanderson, Lapierre or Askarov with that third higher pick.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Goalie is irrelevant for me. Anton Khudobin is leading the Stars to the Cup right now. On the way to the Cup he beat a goalie that has been tossed around the league and acquired by Vegas for peanuts.

On top of that, big money goalies almost always become huge cap problems for their teams and rarely deliver results proportionate to the investment. They are also often incredibly difficult to move should the necessity arise.

Might be getting ahead of myself in regards to Askarov but it's something to consider. Obviously good goaltending is important but given the extended and uneven development period for goaltenders and the common refrain of otherwise average goaltenders going on playoff hot streaks, there is just no way I can support spending a high pick on a goaltender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->