NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XIII [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Of course the NHL draft is rigged. The aliens would have it no other way.

Watching Pierre-Luc Dubois, a 6”3 215 lbs centre break out and become a dominant 1C makes me think LA at #2 will take Byfield over Stuetzle.
At the same time watching Barzal and Pettersson makes me want Stutzle on this team. I think the chances of him getting to that level are pretty high.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Yes, and then the Senators traded him for something worth next to nothing!

Safe to say that former G.M John Muckler was running on a few burnt fuses during his time here.

He was half way to dementia I think by the end of his tenure and was making some very odd moves. Not only that, he could barely pronounce the names of players he traded for himself starting with Mike "Cromrie" and Tyler "Arvedson".

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
With the exception of Karlsson, Havlat was the Senator I loved to watch play more than anyone.

Same. I was absolutely devastated when he was traded. (Especially because the return was sooooo bad)

As you mentioned, I likewise enjoyed watching Karlsson, but he wasn’t the same sort of threat to score on any play.

Mach9 was worth the price of admission, every damn night.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Same. I was absolutely devastated when he was traded. (Especially because the return was sooooo bad)

As you mentioned, I likewise enjoyed watching Karlsson, but he wasn’t the same sort of threat to score on any play.

Mach9 was worth the price of admission, every damn night.

I agree too. But Havlat told Muckler he was only going to sign a one-year deal, then explore free agency.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I agree too. But Havlat told Muckler he was only going to sign a one-year deal, then explore free agency.
'
People always forget this. The first instinct is to always criticize and insult. Fans always think they are so much smarter than the guy at the top making the decisions. I don't know why it bugs me so much but it does.

Being a GM of a pro sports team is a really hard job. They are not dumb people. They are also dealing with highly intelligent GMs who would love nothing more than to see them fail.

AS Flamingo posted, Havlat was going to free agency and Muckler got what he could. Trading a player who is not going to re-sign with you ties your hands. It's a lot like what happened with Karlsson, Stone etc.

Reactions: Sweatred

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Havlat was a really good player for Ottawa, my favourite game though was when he started all those fights in the Philly game. lol

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
PPG electric game breaker... and you want someone better? If not for injuries he would have had illustrious career.
Frankly....yes.

Marty Havlat was a good player but we're getting a little nostalgic here. Yes, we need a better player than Havlat with both picks.

Reactions: Sweatred

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Frankly....yes.

Marty Havlat was a good player but we're getting a little nostalgic here. Yes, we need a better player than Havlat with both picks.

For 3rd at C sure I can see your point. But for 5th? If we draft a healthy Havlat capable player with our 5th we are laughinggggg to the bank. That’s a PPG game breaking player who steps up in playoffs.

We ain’t talking Havlat’s career. We are discussing getting a player of Havlat’s prime mixed with longevity. That’s like 1000 points.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
For 3rd at C sure I can see your point. But for 5th? If we draft a healthy Havlat capable player with our 5th we are laughinggggg to the bank. That’s a PPG game breaking player who steps up in playoffs.

We ain’t talking Havlat’s career. We are discussing getting a player of Havlat’s prime mixed with longevity. That’s like 1000 points.

Right. And with this draft reputed to be as strong as it is...does one of the forwards in that 4 to 12 tier hit that mark? That's the guy we need. It's an issue of which one.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Right. And with this draft reputed to be as strong as it is...does one of the forwards in that 4 to 12 tier hit that mark? That's the guy we need. It's an issue of which one.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Perfetti could have the highest scoring ceiling in this draft. A capable 90 point guy, IMO.

Raymond could be a consistent 75-85 point player who plays a puck hound 2 way game a la Alfie.

Rossi could be a 70 point all around heart and soul centre or winger who matches top lines(man hard to see this unless he really improves his speed or he’ll be worn down).

Quinn/Holtz can be consistent 30+ goal guys who play a big mans game and score clutch goals during tough goings.

Lundell could be a 55-65+ point consistent 2 way beast who matches against toughest matchups and dominates corsi/puck stats.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Perfetti could have the highest scoring ceiling in this draft. A capable 90 point guy, IMO.

Raymond could be a consistent 75-85 point player who plays a puck hound 2 way game a la Alfie.

Rossi could be a 70 point all around heart and soul centre or winger who matches top lines(man hard to see this unless he really improves his speed or he’ll be worn down).

Quinn/Holtz can be consistent 30+ goal guys who play a big mans game and score clutch goals during tough goings.

Lundell could be a 55-65+ point consistent 2 way beast who matches against toughest matchups and dominates corsi/puck stats.

It's a very deep draft.

Whoever we take at 5....as long as that guy is no worse than 6th ten years down the line when HF is doing the redraft thing... we're likely going to be pretty happy with what we have

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
I haven't done the SIM in a while, so I tried my luck a few minutes ago. Traded Pick #21 (Mysak), Pick #33 (Ponomaryov), and Pick #158 (Langenbrunner) for Pick #11. Probably a bit of an overpayment, but I had to follow the SIM's draft rating system to get my boy at #11. This would be pretty close to my dream draft, although I missed on picking a RD, but we can fill that gap in 2021.

3. Quentin Byfield (C)
5. Cole Perfetti (C/LW)
11. Jake Sanderson (LD)
52. William Wallinder (LD)
53. Ridly Grieg (LW)
55. Roby Jarventie (LW)
64. Ozzy Wiesblatt (RW)
71. Luke Evangelista (RW)
95. Tyler Tullio (C)
152. Yegor Sokolov (LW)
185. Gage Goncalves (C)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I haven't done the SIM in a while, so I tried my luck a few minutes ago. Traded Pick #21 (Mysak), Pick #33 (Ponomaryov), and Pick #158 (Langenbrunner) for Pick #11. Probably a bit of an overpayment, but I had to follow the SIM's draft rating system to get my boy at #11. This would be pretty close to my dream draft, although I missed on picking a RD, but we can fill that gap in 2021.

3. Quentin Byfield (C)
5. Cole Perfetti (C/LW)
11. Jake Sanderson (LD)
52. William Wallinder (LD)
53. Ridly Grieg (LW)
55. Roby Jarventie (LW)
64. Ozzy Wiesblatt (RW)
71. Luke Evangelista (RW)
95. Tyler Tullio (C)
152. Yegor Sokolov (LW)
185. Gage Goncalves (C)

I don't think 33 and 158 is enough to move up 10 spots from 21 to snag Sanderson.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->