Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Tkachuk Byfield Batherson
Formenton Norris Raymond
Duclair Brown White
Paul Pinto Brown
I would take drysdale/Sanderson with 5 and then a forward(Jarvis?foerster?) with the nyi pick(Or askarov if he’s there somehow)
And then go..
Tkachuk Byfield Batherson
Formenton Brown Norris
White Pinto Duclair/nyi pick
Kastelic/Hawryluk Paul Brown/Abramov

Chabot
Drysdale/Sanderson
JBD
Brannstrom
Thomson
Wolanin
Jaros
Future picks

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Anybody have any thought on Sokolov as high as a late third ?

May be a nice piece for Belleville with Kastellic and possibly Formenton and Abramov. We have a bit of a prospect gap coming and he sorta fills a hole and reduces the 2020 haul of prospects a bit with his advanced age.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Here are all the notable guys that cracked 50 NHL points in our pick positions since 2005.

#3 : 13 players, 87%
Jack Johnson, Jonathan Toews, Kyle Turris, Zach Bogosian, Matt Duchene, Erik Gudbranson, Jonathan Huberdeau, Alex Galchenyuk, Jonathan Drouin, Leon Draisaitl, Dylan Strome, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Miro Heiskanen

#5: 10 players, 67%
Phil Kessel, Karl Alzner, Luke Schenn, Brayden Schenn, Nino Niederreiter, Ryan Strome, Morgan Rielly, Elias Lindholm, Noah Hanifin, Elias Pettersson

#21: 7 players, 47%

Riley Nash, John Moore, Riley Sheahan, Stefan Noesen, Mark Jankowski, Robby Fabbri, Colin White

# 33: 4 players, 27%

James Neal, Ryan O'Reilly, Rocco Grimaldi, Ivan Barbashev

# 46: 1 player, 7%
Joel Edmundson

# 52: 1 player, 7%
Richard Panik

#53: 3 players, 20%
Travis Hamonic, William Karlsson, Filip Hronek

#64: 2 players, 14%
Tyson Barrie, Vincent Trocheck

# 74, 1 player, 7%
Esa Lindell

#95: 2 players, 14%
Alec Martinez, Josh Anderson

#157: 2 players, 14%
Cam Atkinson, Jesper Fast

#158: 0 players

#185: 0 players

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Who are some guys you really like with the Isles pick ?

For me I really like Zary. He's been my crush for a while now. I feel like at minimum he's a #3 C in the NHL with upside to be a #2. Reminds me of Horvat somewhat . A smart responsible 2 way C who's good on draws and can match up against the opposing teams top line. Plays gritty as well

Reactions: NB613 and Icelevel

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Anybody have any thought on Sokolov as high as a late third ?

May be a nice piece for Belleville with Kastellic and possibly Formenton and Abramov. We have a bit of a prospect gap coming and he sorta fills a hole and reduces the 2020 haul of prospects a bit with his advanced age.
They’ve see a ton of him, more than a vast majority of the guys in this draft seeing they had all hands on deck at the World Juniors, he played on Mandolese’s team and he played in the Maritimes which is a frequented area by the Sens.

His skating will hold him back at the pro level, he will still be bigger than nearly everyone, but it’s going to be tougher to create space when you aren’t lined up against 165 pound 17 year olds as a 250 pound machine.

He will be picked ~3rd-4th, he’s got size and scoring touch over a guy like Leason, but that’s it. If we take him I think he will need to work on his skating full time to make it in the NHL.

Francis was the straw that stirred his line, even though Sokolov was the more efficient guy.

Last edited:

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
People saying Byfield lacks puck control and playmaking, would you move him to the wing in the NHL?

Or would you be satisfied that he becomes a version of Eric Staal.

Flame away.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Just for fun, I randomly sampled a pick from each draft position owned by the sens, pulling from players drafted between 2005-2015. We're going to need some luck if we're going to replace all the players we traded away in this one draft alone, although that 3rd run would probably do the trick. Let's hope this draft class is very good.

Here's what I got:

1: Matt Duchene, Noah Hanifin, Bob Sanguinetti, Adam Erne, Gustav Olofsson, Keith Seabrook, Andrew Kozek, Jonathan-Ismael Diaby, Ryan Howse, Felix Girard, Tim Harrison, Christoph Bertschy, Paul Karpowich

2: Jonathan Toews, Michael Dal Colle, Riley Nash, Igor Makarov, Gustav Olofsson, Jeremy Lauzon, Mark Alt, Brandon Hickey, Jeff Zatkoff, David Warsofsky, Jesper Fast, Levi Nelson, Nick Larson

3: Jonathan Toews, Elias Lindholm, Frederik Gauthier, John Mcfarland, Colby Robak, Oscar Moller, Brian Hart, Vincent Trocheck, Andrew Campbell, Alec Martinez, Brent Gwidt, Levi Nelson, Nikita Korostelev

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
People saying Byfield lacks puck control and playmaking, would you move him to the wing in the NHL?

Or would you be satisfy that he becomes a version of Eric Staal.

Flame away.

If Byf is the #1 Center on a Cup winning team I’d be happy with that.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Just for fun, I randomly sampled a pick from each draft position owned by the sens, pulling from players drafted between 2005-2015. We're going to need some luck if we're going to replace all the players we traded away in this one draft alone, although that 3rd run would probably do the trick. Let's hope this draft class is very good.

Here's what I got:

1: Matt Duchene, Noah Hanifin, Bob Sanguinetti, Adam Erne, Gustav Olofsson, Keith Seabrook, Andrew Kozek, Jonathan-Ismael Diaby, Ryan Howse, Felix Girard, Tim Harrison, Christoph Bertschy, Paul Karpowich

2: Jonathan Toews, Michael Dal Colle, Riley Nash, Igor Makarov, Gustav Olofsson, Jeremy Lauzon, Mark Alt, Brandon Hickey, Jeff Zatkoff, David Warsofsky, Jesper Fast, Levi Nelson, Nick Larson

3: Jonathan Toews, Elias Lindholm, Frederik Gauthier, John Mcfarland, Colby Robak, Oscar Moller, Brian Hart, Vincent Trocheck, Andrew Campbell, Alec Martinez, Brent Gwidt, Levi Nelson, Nikita Korostelev

This draft is seen as deeper then average. Look at our spots in 2003, 2005, 2008 and 2015. Even only looking at strong drafts it isnt a sure thing, if we got the first 4 spots in 2008 we'd have bogosian l.schenn gustafsson and mcrae, what a disaster that would be with pietrangelo karlsson, josi et al being available

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
3. Disco Stutzle C
5. Raymond RW
21. Quinn (LOL) RW
33. Khuznutdinov C
49. W. Villeneuve RD
52. Sam Colangelo RW
55. Roby Jarventie LW
64. Tyler Kleven LD
74. Justin Sourdif C
95. Jack Finley C
152. Oliver Fatul LD
158. Logan Morrison C
185. Brady Burns C

Obviously I'd take that but somehow I don't think Quinn will be there at 21.

OK, Disco Stutzle for the win.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The whole LAK telling Byfield that they don't think they'll be drafting that high doesn't make much sense. It sounds like a polite way to tell a player that they aren't being considered.

It's not like LAK jumped from 12 to 2. They were 4th, with a downside of 6th.

By that logic, they wouldn't have interviewed Stutzle either, because the odds of him being available at 6 are pretty low.

Either they are trying to play 4D chess with a huge smoke screen (which teams don't really do as much in the NHL, more of an NFL thing). Or, they are not that interested in Byfield.

If it is true Detroit likes Perfetti at 4, purely from a position standpoint, us walking away with a big C and a RD (Drysdale) would be really good. There is no guarantee each player hits their ceiling, but it would shape up into a core of Chabot, Tkachuk Byfield, Drysdale, and then on that second tier guys like Norris, White, Batherson, and Brannstrom.

LAK had a downside of 7, not 6, and the probability of drafting top 3 was low, where Byfield was projected by most to go. However, it was still a silly thing to say to Byfield , if indeed the reference is true.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Or would you be satisfied that he becomes a version of Eric Staal.

Flame away.

People say all kinds of things.. Some are true. Some have a basis in fact. We get the full spectrum there.
He is 4th in even strength primary assists / gp among draft eligibles across the CHL this year. And he played on a weak team. I have heard people say that if he had line mates that could convert he would be higher on that list.

If Eric Staal is the floor I will take it but I think he skates better already.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not sure how we keep the high level of interest in the prospects ... with how much time there is to do evaluations. So easy to overthink this and get overly critical. I do wish the Sens had more voices in the room from Europe for some balance in perspective.

Its one thing to watch video and another to have been in the stands watching ... The scouts reporting from live scouting have an advantage in watching where the camera isn't and having personal contacts in the rinks at the games.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Who are some guys you really like with the Isles pick ?

For me I really like Zary. He's been my crush for a while now. I feel like at minimum he's a #3 C in the NHL with upside to be a #2. Reminds me of Horvat somewhat . A smart responsible 2 way C who's good on draws and can match up against the opposing teams top line. Plays gritty as well
I'm with you on Zary. Seems like an ottawa type pick as well. I got my fingers crossed. But there should be other good options there too. I mean if Jarvis is around please grab him. Foerster(not sure about TF, he at least looks like mark stone out there :)) should be there, Guhle, Holloway, Reichel, Wallinder. There's going to be some really good players there.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613 and DJB

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I hate the NHL draft system. I think it should be changed to a system similar to the NFL draft where Draft order is determined in a reverse-record order (the previous season's worst team picking first, the Super Bowlwinner picking last). That helps the worst teams. The concerns about tanking are overblown.

Edited to add:

When I consider the salary cap system with limited revenue sharing between teams and large USA market teams having significantly higher revenues that enable them to pay the highest salaries and retain/attract UFAs , move their contract mistakes to the minors, buy out players that don’t work out, trade their LTIR players to low budget teams, and other advantages, the stupid lottery system of today just does not make sense if you want to make the league more competitive by assisting the teams at the bottom of the league.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would rather have Coe, Colangelo or Groshev

Would you settle for two of those guys & one Cuylle? After all, we have four 2nds & two turds, I mean two 3rds. Cuylle & Groshev shoot left while the other two shoot right & a couple of those guys could still be available in the 3rd.

Cuylle would add another element on LW like BT IMO that could really help a line especially one with smaller skilled players. It's not like Cuylle is unskilled, he's been a pretty good forward & likes to get his nose dirty, Ottawa could always use another player like that to mix it up. I like those three too though.

Reactions: DJB

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
They’ve see a ton of him, more than a vast majority of the guys in this draft seeing they had all hands on deck at the World Juniors, he played on Mandolese’s team and he played in the Maritimes which is a frequented area by the Sens.

His skating will hold him back at the pro level, he will still be bigger than nearly everyone, but it’s going to be tougher to create space when you aren’t lined up against 165 pound 17 year olds as a 250 pound machine.

He will be picked ~3rd-4th, he’s got size and scoring touch over a guy like Leason, but that’s it. If we take him I think he will need to work on his skating full time to make it in the NHL.

Francis was the straw that stirred his line, even though Sokolov was the more efficient guy.
Sokolov seems to have improved his skating by a meaningful amount over recent years. What issues do you still see with his skating? Also how would you compare Sokolov with Mark Stone? Stone certainly has elite hockey IQ but he is an example that some prospects don't have to be the best skaters to become elite first line players.

But even if Sokolov caps out as a bottom six guy he could still be valuable and might even be a versatile type that can move up and down the lineup.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sokolov seems to have improved his skating by a meaningful amount over recent years. What issues do you still see with his skating? Also how would you compare Sokolov with Mark Stone? Stone certainly has elite hockey IQ but he is an example that some prospects don't have to be the best skaters to become elite first line players.

But even if Sokolov caps out as a bottom six guy he could still be valuable and might even be a versatile type that can move up and down the lineup.
His skating isn’t a strength even in the Q, he’s able to overcome and shadow that because he can overpower everyone, and even if he gets caught on the boards on a rush he can just force his way past. It’s going to hinder him at the pro level, but he is extremely skilled for a big man.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wouldn’t mind taking a swing with Mark Hillier in the later rounds, likewise with Jordan Power. Power seems like an Ottawa type pick, wouldn’t be surprised if he was on our radar.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Would you settle for two of those guys & one Cuylle? After all, we have four 2nds & two turds, I mean two 3rds. Cuylle & Groshev shoot left while the other two shoot right & a couple of those guys could still be available in the 3rd.

Cuylle would add another element on LW like BT IMO that could really help a line especially one with smaller skilled players. It's not like Cuylle is unskilled, he's been a pretty good forward & likes to get his nose dirty, Ottawa could always use another player like that to mix it up. I like those three too though.
Are you suggesting drafting 3 of Groshev, Coe, Colangelo and Cuylle, with one of the picks being Cuylle? I am not sure I would go that route. Even with bigger forwards I might consider a larger list of players to pick from. There are also some decent skill forwards with either average size or a stocky build which I would consider. Then for just the size element there are prospects I like that should be available in rounds 4 to 7. I am all for adding size and grit in this draft but we still need to be strategic in how we go about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad