NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
dorions draft record is big men - Brown, Pinto, Zibby, Cowan - I’d be surprised if we don’t get 2 big players with the top picks. They are building for size and 2way play, like the Blues

Except Byfield is the only top pick who's big. I'd expect Dorion to draft the best player and be confident that if they're not big he's got players with size who can insulate them.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Taking a look at some of those rankings, woof...

Not sure the upper and lower are correct, as I can see some where a guy is ranked much lower or higher than the stated low and high.

That’s a problem consolidating some of these lists, that use random (for all intents and purposes) guys on the internet, some of their rankings are batshit crazy.
Don't disagree with that. I guess I really did not need it to support my point
Alexis Lafreniere
Quinton Byfield
Tim Stutzle
Marco Rossi
Lucas Raymond
Jamie Drysdale
Cole Perfetti
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
Ottawa should draft Stutzle & Drysdale.

The only way to get a right shot puck moving D is to a draft one. Drysdale can quarterback the power play with Chabot for the next 10-15 years and play 20 -25 minutes game.

Stutzle- "Makes everyone around him better" He plays against men who are older bigger and stronger yet excels playing against them. He has a high ceiling with high floor.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The only guy I really want out of the top 6 is Byfield & with their next pick or first pick if they get the top 2 picks one of Lafreniere, Stutzle, Drysdale, Holtz or Sanderson. I would love to see them make a deal (one of their own goalies could be part of a package) to also target Askarov, imagine drafting the best centre in this draft, the best D & the best goaltender, Byfield, Drysdale & Askarov. Best player would be nice too.

Bubba Pilks

Jun 21, 2019
Now Bubba .. I am not 100% sure but I am going to guess Age on Draft day

LiStEn hErE mIsteR sONS..... It can't be age on draft day unless the person who put that together is clairvoyant and knows what day the draft is. If thats the case, we need to add 0.08 of 365 days and add it to Byfields birthday of August 19th. Which means the draft is either Thursday September 17th or Friday September 18th. wE dId It bOis.

Its probably the original scheduled opening date of the NHL season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Measurables are obviously important to discuss but ultimately we are drafting them to play hockey.

OHL coaches polls

Smartest Player:
Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (41) – finished first in 2018-19
2. Shane Wright, Kingston Frontenacs (17)
3. Akil Thomas, Peterborough Petes (10)

Best Playmaker:
Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (45)
2. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, Peterborough Petes (17)
3. Philip Tomasino, Oshawa Generals (16)

Best on Face-Offs:
Eastern Conference:
1. Zach Gallant, Peterborough Petes (36) – finished second in 2018-19, second in 2017-18 and first in 2016-17
2. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (23)
3. Cole Schwindt, Mississauga Steelheads (12)

Best Defensive Forward:
Eastern Conference:
1. Kyle MacLean, Oshawa Generals (24) – finished first in 2018-19
2. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (21)
3. Macauley Carson, Sudbury Wolves (19)

Best Penalty Killer:
Eastern Conference:
1. Kyle MacLean, Oshawa Generals (24)
2. Jacob Paquette, Peterborough Petes (16)
3. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (15)

Best Shootout Shooter:
Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (29)
2. Nick Robertson, Peterborough Petes (23)
3. Philip Tomasino, Oshawa Generals (12)

The kid just does everything to help you win games. Ultimately, that's the goal and I feel like it needs to be reiterated..
Also
Smartest Player:
Eastern Conference:

Also named MVP of the OHL...Across the CHL 2nd to only Alexis Lafreniere in primary pts /gp . 1st in TP, 1st in TP1, 2nd in TP/GP, 1st in EV GF,(goals scored when on the ice at even strength), 1st in EV GF% (% of even strength goals scored when player is on the ice) . Also has the best EV GA numbers out of the top 4 CHL forwards (Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi, Perfetti). We see how driven the kid is and what a great motor he has.. Lets say we pass and he is a brilliant player or at least an Alfredsson level player. How many hammers do we need to hit us upside the head to take notice.

Speed? In Tim Scouch's tracking data (7 games for each player.. hand tracked stats) Rossi was clocked blueline to blueline in 1.61; Same speed as Stutzle. Faster than Amirov, Raymond, Lundell, Gunler, Reichel, Holloway, Holtz. .. Perfetti hasn't been tracked yet. He is not as fast in tracked data as Jarventie, Pashin, Foudy, Hirvonen

Last edited:
Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
LiStEn hErE mIsteR sONS..... It can't be age on draft day unless the person who put that together is clairvoyant and knows what day the draft is. If thats the case, we need to add 0.08 of 365 days and add it to Byfields birthday of August 19th. Which means the draft is either Thursday September 17th or Friday September 18th. wE dId It bOis.

Its probably the original scheduled opening date of the NHL season.
Draft cut off date *guessing

Reactions: Bubba Pilks

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Best goalie prospect since Price :) would you guys gamble on him with the NYI pick? Or go with a safer bet?

Reactions: aragorn

Bubba Pilks

Jun 21, 2019
Also
Smartest Player:
Eastern Conference:

Also named MVP of the OHL...Across the CHL 2nd to only Alexis Lafreniere in primary pts /gp . 1st in TP, 1st in TP1, 2nd in TP/GP, 1st in EV GF,(goals scored when on the ice at even strength), 1st in EV GF% (% of even strength goals scored when player is on the ice) . Also has the best EV GA numbers out of the top 4 CHL forwards (Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi, Perfetti). We see how driven the kid is and what a great motor he has.. Lets say we pass and he is a brilliant player or at least an Alfredsson level player. How many hammers do we need to hit us upside the head to take notice.

Speed? In Tim Scouch's tracking data (7 games for each player.. hand tracked stats) Rossi was clocked blueline to blueline in 1.61; Same speed as Stutzle. Faster than Amirov, Raymond, Lundell, Gunler, Reichel, Holloway, Holtz. .. Perfetti hasn't been tracked yet. He is not as fast in tracked data as Jarventie, Pashin, Foudy, Hirvonen

Crazy that he won smartest player in back to back years.

The way I look at it. If we had kept our pick last year and it won the lottery and drafted Rossi #1 (hypothetical). If that #1 pick had the season that Rossi just had, I think every Sens fan would be salivating at the thought of adding him to the lineup.

He literally destroyed every production statistic, while being the second ranked defensive forward, second ranked faceoff, best shootout shooter, third best penalty killer. He was also the obvious leader on the 2nd best team in the CHL that went 50-11-0-1. The 67s didn't lose a single game in overtime and only once in a SO. Yes the 67s were deep but Rossi had his hands all over that.

Career OHL stats

109 GP
68 Goals
117 Assists
185 Points
+120 (thought I read somewhere that this is one of, if not the highest plus/minus per gp in OHL history).

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Measurables are obviously important to discuss but ultimately we are drafting them to play hockey.

OHL coaches polls

Smartest Player:
Eastern Conference:

Best Playmaker:
Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (45)
2. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, Peterborough Petes (17)
3. Philip Tomasino, Oshawa Generals (16)

Best on Face-Offs:
Eastern Conference:
1. Zach Gallant, Peterborough Petes (36) – finished second in 2018-19, second in 2017-18 and first in 2016-17
2. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (23)
3. Cole Schwindt, Mississauga Steelheads (12)

Best Defensive Forward:
Eastern Conference:
1. Kyle MacLean, Oshawa Generals (24) – finished first in 2018-19
2. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (21)
3. Macauley Carson, Sudbury Wolves (19)

Best Penalty Killer:
Eastern Conference:
1. Kyle MacLean, Oshawa Generals (24)
2. Jacob Paquette, Peterborough Petes (16)
3. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (15)

Best Shootout Shooter:
Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (29)
2. Nick Robertson, Peterborough Petes (23)
3. Philip Tomasino, Oshawa Generals (12)

The kid just does everything to help you win games. Ultimately, that's the goal and I feel like it needs to be reiterated..

I've got no problem saying he could be our next Daniel Alfredsson. Come @ me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I gamble on him if we fall to 5 and 6
Yikes... No way for me. So much risk in goalies and while the reward is a quality or even elite starter, the reality is goalie is a position that can very often be adequately filled through trades unlike #1 centers and top pair D.

Highest i take him is around 12.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
IMO Byfield is the surest one, and then I am more confident in Perfetti and Stutzle (could be a wing too - either way I think he's a 1st line forward) to become #1 Cs than Rossi.
What do see see in Perfetti that gives you higher confidence ?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
What do see see in Perfetti that gives you higher confidence ?
I have them very close. I like Perfettis offensive game to translate better to the NHL and I think he has more overall upside. But again they’re close and if you have Rossi over Perfetti, I totally understand. What Perfetti did this year blows Rossi’s season last year out of the water for production.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yikes... No way for me. So much risk in goalies and while the reward is a quality or even elite starter, the reality is goalie is a position that can very often be adequately filled through trades unlike #1 centers and top pair D.

Highest i take him is around 12.
Might as well throw the pick in the wind

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The only guy I really want out of the top 6 is Byfield & with their next pick or first pick if they get the top 2 picks one of Lafreniere, Stutzle, Drysdale, Holtz or Sanderson. I would love to see them make a deal (one of their own goalies could be part of a package) to also target Askarov, imagine drafting the best centre in this draft, the best D & the best goaltender, Byfield, Drysdale & Askarov. Best player would be nice too.
Askarov would be a waste of assets IMO. There must be some analytics tool showing that the best goalie over a 3 year period is worth very few wins vs the league average starter.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I have them very close. I like Perfettis offensive game to translate better to the NHL and I think he has more overall upside. But again they’re close and if you have Rossi over Perfetti, I totally understand. What Perfetti did this year blows Rossi’s season last year out of the water for production.
I’m worried about Perfetti not having the highest compete level and he has not shown any defensive acumen. Neither of those are uncommon at that age but I wonder how much his production would drop if he played as responsibly as Rossi.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ottawa should draft Stutzle & Drysdale.

The only way to get a right shot puck moving D is to a draft one. Drysdale can quarterback the power play with Chabot for the next 10-15 years and play 20 -25 minutes game.

Stutzle- "Makes everyone around him better" He plays against men who are older bigger and stronger yet excels playing against them. He has a high ceiling with high floor.

I'll take Lafreniere and Byfield over those two. But that just makes me greedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->