NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yup and I'm fine with him if we are at 4,5, or 6.

But at 2 or 3 it had better be Byfield or Stutzle. We need to take a shot at another elite C.
Everyone that follows hockey would want more size at C than Rossi has ...not a news flash. IMO he would very close to instantly be Ottawa's best C . Now that says something about the Sens lack of highend C's .. But they lack high end at every position and then some. Rossi would find his place .. I mean we are talking about less than an inch difference between him , Perfetti and Raymond 3 out of the top 5-6 players somewhat consensus ranked. This draft does have potential to be a game changer for the Sens... I hope we get 2 picks in the top 5 one in the top 2.
Can't wait for Bob's list (Rossi 7 at mid term)
upload_2020-6-2_12-24-15.png

Reactions: JungleBeat and DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The quote by DJ about wanting size and imposing our will on other teams doesnt exactly scream Rossi, Perfetti or Raymond.

Let's hope Dorion doesnt cave to DJ's demands near the top of the draft and sticks to the BPA.

If Dorion wants to get size later after the first two then fine by me.

Reactions: NB613 and Ed Wood

Bubba Pilks

Jun 21, 2019
Everyone that follows hockey would want more size at C than Rossi has ...not a news flash. IMO he would very close to instantly be Ottawa's best C . Now that says something about the Sens lack of highend C's .. But they lack high end at every position and then some. Rossi would find his place .. I mean we are talking about less than an inch difference between him , Perfetti and Raymond 3 out of the top 5-6 players somewhat consensus ranked. This draft does have potential to be a game changer for the Sens... I hope we get 2 picks in the top 5 one in the top 2.
View attachment 348575

Are those ages at the start of next season? Because Byfield is 17 for another 2 months.

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Feel the same way. I have them at 6&7.

If you told me at the beginning of the season, I would have elated.

If you told me 3 weeks ago with the worst case of 3-4, I would have been pissed.

If it happens now at 5-6, I'll be ok with it, even if I would pick differently.

Personally I have Raymond higher than every CHL player (except Laf and Byfield). I would have Drysdale higher than Holtz, but would rather take the duo based off their chemistry. Don't want to be like those teams that passed on filip forsberg just because he played lesser minutes in the SHL.

I know it's not the way to draft, but having Swedes has always been great for the Senators. They are loyal, and tend to enjoy playing in Canadian cities. Karlsson would have stayed too if he was shown more respect from Melnyk.

Reactions: Crosside

Bubba Pilks

Jun 21, 2019
Personally I have Raymond higher than every CHL player (except Laf and Byfield). I would have Drysdale higher than Holtz, but would rather take the duo based off their chemistry. Don't want to be like those teams that passed on filip forsberg just because he played lesser minutes in the SHL.

I know it's not the way to draft, but having Swedes has always been great for the Senators. They are loyal, and tend to enjoy playing in Canadian cities. Karlsson would have stayed too if he was shown more respect from Melnyk.

I guess we all have different rankings.

Just a note, Forsberg played for Leksands in the Allsvenskan not the SHL. Your point remains, Swedes are very loyal.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Who are your surefire #1Cs in this draft.

IMO Byfield is the surest one, and then I am more confident in Perfetti and Stutzle (could be a wing too - either way I think he's a 1st line forward) to become #1 Cs than Rossi.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
IMO Byfield is the surest one, and then I am more confident in Perfetti and Stutzle (could be a wing too - either way I think he's a 1st line forward) to become #1 Cs than Rossi.

Stutzle I could understand but why Perfetti? Marco plays much much more like a center than Cole and Cole isnt that much bigger, + weaker and slower.

Bubba Pilks

Jun 21, 2019
Measurables are obviously important to discuss but ultimately we are drafting them to play hockey.

OHL coaches polls

Smartest Player:
Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (41) – finished first in 2018-19
2. Shane Wright, Kingston Frontenacs (17)
3. Akil Thomas, Peterborough Petes (10)

Best Playmaker:
Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (45)
2. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, Peterborough Petes (17)
3. Philip Tomasino, Oshawa Generals (16)

Best on Face-Offs:
Eastern Conference:
1. Zach Gallant, Peterborough Petes (36) – finished second in 2018-19, second in 2017-18 and first in 2016-17
2. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (23)
3. Cole Schwindt, Mississauga Steelheads (12)

Best Defensive Forward:
Eastern Conference:
1. Kyle MacLean, Oshawa Generals (24) – finished first in 2018-19
2. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (21)
3. Macauley Carson, Sudbury Wolves (19)

Best Penalty Killer:
Eastern Conference:
1. Kyle MacLean, Oshawa Generals (24)
2. Jacob Paquette, Peterborough Petes (16)
3. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (15)

Best Shootout Shooter:
Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (29)
2. Nick Robertson, Peterborough Petes (23)
3. Philip Tomasino, Oshawa Generals (12)

The kid just does everything to help you win games. Ultimately, that's the goal and I feel like it needs to be reiterated..

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Measurables are obviously important to discuss but ultimately we are drafting them to play hockey.

OHL coaches polls

Smartest Player:
Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (41) – finished first in 2018-19
2. Shane Wright, Kingston Frontenacs (17)
3. Akil Thomas, Peterborough Petes (10)

Best Playmaker:
Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (45)
2. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, Peterborough Petes (17)
3. Philip Tomasino, Oshawa Generals (16)

Best on Face-Offs:
Eastern Conference:
1. Zach Gallant, Peterborough Petes (36) – finished second in 2018-19, second in 2017-18 and first in 2016-17
2. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (23)
3. Cole Schwindt, Mississauga Steelheads (12)

Best Defensive Forward:
Eastern Conference:
1. Kyle MacLean, Oshawa Generals (24) – finished first in 2018-19
2. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (21)
3. Macauley Carson, Sudbury Wolves (19)

Best Penalty Killer:
Eastern Conference:
1. Kyle MacLean, Oshawa Generals (24)
2. Jacob Paquette, Peterborough Petes (16)
3. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (15)

Best Shootout Shooter:
Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (29)
2. Nick Robertson, Peterborough Petes (23)
3. Philip Tomasino, Oshawa Generals (12)

The kid just does everything to help you win games. Ultimately, that's the goal and I feel like it needs to be reiterated..

Wow, he appears to be the complete package. Best playmaker, best shootout shooter, and third best penalty killer in the best junior league in the world.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
View attachment 348575

Taking a look at some of those rankings, woof...

Not sure the upper and lower are correct, as I can see some where a guy is ranked much lower or higher than the stated low and high.

That’s a problem consolidating some of these lists, that use random (for all intents and purposes) guys on the internet, some of their rankings are batshit crazy.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The quote by DJ about wanting size and imposing our will on other teams doesnt exactly scream Rossi, Perfetti or Raymond.

Let's hope Dorion doesnt cave to DJ's demands near the top of the draft and sticks to the BPA.

Just to be clear Smith's comments never mentioned size specifically from my interpretation of his comments both Raymond and Rossi would fit. Perfetti would be a bit more of a question mark as he has received some criticism early in the season that suggested he was lacking in some of those areas but there are also reports that he reinvented his game after being cut by team Canada.

I think Smith comments are generally applicable throughout the draft but I would focus less on the inside the top ten.

Reactions: DJB

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I know that I've been been pretty vocal and often a negative Nancy in regards to our potential lottery picks.

But honestly I'm still pretty stoked that we are going to walk away with two of;

Lafreniere
Stutzle
Byfield
Drysdale
Raymond
Rossi
Perfetti
Holtz

:)
Get prepared for Lundell and Sanderson.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Taking a look at some of those rankings, woof...

Not sure the upper and lower are correct, as I can see some where a guy is ranked much lower or higher than the stated low and high.

That’s a problem consolidating some of these lists, that use random (for all intents and purposes) guys on the internet, some of their rankings are batshit crazy.

The upper and lower aren't the lowest and highest spot any source ranked them, its a range of expected draft spot based the average rankings and the standard deviation of the rankings. It uses schuckers draft pick value chart in place of using the raw rankings when calculating that average ranking and standard deviation, if that makes sense, and then converts the result back to draft spots.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

dorions draft record is big men - Brown, Pinto, Zibby, Cowan - I’d be surprised if we don’t get 2 big players with the top picks. They are building for size and 2way play, like the Blues

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The upper and lower aren't the lowest and highest spot any source ranked them, its a range of expected draft spot based the average rankings and the standard deviation of the rankings. It uses schuckers draft pick value chart in place of using the raw rankings when calculating that average ranking and standard deviation, if that makes sense, and then converts the result back to draft spots.
Ah, makes sense (well, not to me...). Good tool.

I wouldn’t be able to or want to use it for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad