NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

FightLikeMike

May 16, 2010
Ok ... IMO keep Logan see what we have ... move Connor for a 2nd and the throw ins

I think CB for a second would be a solid return.

That said, I don't think LB has or will have the mettle to make the jump to the show. I would consider trading him for Jesse Puljujarvi although I could understand that's not a popular opinion. They are two lost souls on their respective teams. I worry that the fanbase is overvaluing the assets we have in the same regard as Ceci.

Anyway....this isn't the thread for that debate.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Imagine thinking a 2nd is better than our leading scorer.

Lol. Maybe not the place for this debate, but a second would be more valuable than our leading scorer if he's signed to an asinine contract.

Reactions: GCK

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I've been thinking about what phenoms Raymond and Holtz have been for Sweden, and yet they're not considered candidates for first overall, or likely even top three. I don't want to say that if they were Canadian they might go first, because clearly if a Swede is as good as Dahlin they can go first. But I do think they're being underrated a little by Canadian media and fans.

Since they were 13 or 14 they were breaking records every year for most points in their age group in a given league. Particularly Holtz early on, but by 16 Raymond had caught up and then surpassed him.

Based on the 2001 age group, there was no way Sweden should have come anywhere close to a silver at Hlinkas or gold at U18s last year. Their D was stacked, yes, but the offense would have been anemic. But underaged Raymond and Holtz played on the first line and led them to the silver and gold - and it's not just that they were the first line, there was times that it felt like they played every other shift.

Raymond drove possession most of the time, both because offensively he carried the puck and made plays, and defensively he was relentless in his pursuit to regain posseasion. But Holtz was always there to capitalize. They were dominant against most teams, but even the games against Canada when they were outmatched against bigger, older, highly skilled players, that was when Raymond in particular really shone. Forget about everything he did off the puck; just when Sweden couldn't get anything going for a long stretch, suddenly Raymond would work some magic and create something out of nothing.

The thing that makes this draft class special is that there are elite prospects coming from all over the world. Often North America will have a big year while Europe has a down year, or vice versa, but this year they're coming from all over. It is making for some interesting questions regarding prospects dominating junior vs. being effective in top pro leagues (vs. being impact players in lesser pro leagues).

Lundell or Rossi?

Raymond, Byfield or Stützle?

Holtz, Amirov, Perfetti or Quinn?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think CB for a second would be a solid return.

That said, I don't think LB has or will have the mettle to make the jump to the show. I would consider trading him for Jesse Puljujarvi although I could understand that's not a popular opinion. They are two lost souls on their respective teams. I worry that the fanbase is overvaluing the assets we have in the same regard as Ceci.

Anyway....this isn't the thread for that debate.
logan brown is not a lost soul hes not even done his second pro season. (both his pro seasons have been quite successful)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Here's another thought....would anyone trade our two top 10 picks for 1OA?

Stacked draft. Pundits think everyone in the top 10 ends up a player. Numbers kind of say someone in that top 10 flames out and amounts to nothing

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
logan brown is not a lost soul hes not even done his second pro season. (both his pro seasons have been quite successful)

I think the big thing is that he's shown progress from one year to the next. Sure he still has some questions marks to resolve, but until he stops progressing I don't kow why anybody would start to worry about him as a prospect.

The problem Brown will have is if we draft a couple high end centers this year. Say we end up with Byfield and Lundell, or Rossi, that puts a lot of pressure on Brown particularly with Norris performing well. This draft will go a long way in stetting the stage for Brown. If we draft a couple wingers, he's got a clear path to be the #1 or #2 center. If we end up with a couple centers, things get crowded in a hurry.

Reactions: FightLikeMike

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Stacked draft. Pundits think everyone in the top 10 ends up a player. Numbers kind of say someone in that top 10 flames out and amounts to nothing

See, two top 10 or top 5? If it's top 5 no. Stutzle/Byfield+ Raymond/Drysdale too good to pass on. Perfetti + Holtz however? Give me Laferniere.

If it's 2 top 10, easily. We need a superstar above all else.

Laferniere
Batherson
Norris
Chabot
Brannstrom
JBD

is a hell of a core to build around. If it's 1 top 5 and 1 top 10 pick.... thennnn it gets interesting.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I posted this before, I asked this exact question to a writer for a scouting magazine I follow on twitter. been following his stuff for a while and his colleagues stuff his answer was:

he would take Byfield + another player in the top ten over Lafreniere. OR Lundell + Raymond. so going by his ranking he would NOT trade #2 + # 3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 for Lafrenier. he would also NOT trade #3 + #4 for laf either.

Reactions: JD1

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think the big thing is that he's shown progress from one year to the next. Sure he still has some questions marks to resolve, but until he stops progressing I don't kow why anybody would start to worry about him as a prospect.

The problem Brown will have is if we draft a couple high end centers this year. Say we end up with Byfield and Lundell, or Rossi, that puts a lot of pressure on Brown particularly with Norris performing well. This draft will go a long way in stetting the stage for Brown. If we draft a couple wingers, he's got a clear path to be the #1 or #2 center. If we end up with a couple centers, things get crowded in a hurry.

I agree with this. It's also why I'm good with moving Pageau with Tierney still controlled. We obviously need to draft BPA and that could result in no room for Pageau in the near future, regardless of cost

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I've been thinking about what phenoms Raymond and Holtz have been for Sweden, and yet they're not considered candidates for first overall, or likely even top three. I don't want to say that if they were Canadian they might go first, because clearly if a Swede is as good as Dahlin they can go first. But I do think they're being underrated a little by Canadian media and fans.

Since they were 13 or 14 they were breaking records every year for most points in their age group in a given league. Particularly Holtz early on, but by 16 Raymond had caught up and then surpassed him.

Based on the 2001 age group, there was no way Sweden should have come anywhere close to a silver at Hlinkas or gold at U18s last year. Their D was stacked, yes, but the offense would have been anemic. But underaged Raymond and Holtz played on the first line and led them to the silver and gold - and it's not just that they were the first line, there was times that it felt like they played every other shift.

Raymond drove possession most of the time, both because offensively he carried the puck and made plays, and defensively he was relentless in his pursuit to regain posseasion. But Holtz was always there to capitalize. They were dominant against most teams, but even the games against Canada when they were outmatched against bigger, older, highly skilled players, that was when Raymond in particular really shone. Forget about everything he did off the puck; just when Sweden couldn't get anything going for a long stretch, suddenly Raymond would work some magic and create something out of nothing.

The thing that makes this draft class special is that there are elite prospects coming from all over the world. Often North America will have a big year while Europe has a down year, or vice versa, but this year they're coming from all over. It is making for some interesting questions regarding prospects dominating junior vs. being effective in top pro leagues (vs. being impact players in lesser pro leagues).

Lundell or Rossi?

Raymond, Byfield or Stützle?

Holtz, Amirov, Perfetti or Quinn?

Yup, if we don't get Laferniere, nabbing Raymond + Holtz would be unbelievable. People don't really know what these guys are doing over there, especially Raymond.

Let me compare Raymond to a recent Swedish phenom: Elias Petersson.

Raymond blows Petersson off the waters in their D-1 stats.

This guy scored 2 goals in 10 games as a 15-16 year old in the SHL. WTF.

He's also one of the youngest guys in the draft. Also, he isn't just a scoring machine, he's a very responsible and hardworking 2 way forward.

Same thing with Holtz, he is a nasty scoring machine. Guy had 30 goals in 38 games in u20 SuperELITE league as a 16/17 year old.

Raymond-Brown-Holtz
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson

would be ridiculous in a couple of years.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
T0cIIxh.jpg

Beautiful.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

no

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Pick a trio:

Laferniere + Rossi + Sanderson

Raymond + Holtz + Sanderson

Raymond + Drysdale + Quinn

Raymond + Holtz + Holloway

Stutzle + Drysdale + Quinn

Stutzle/Byfield + Drysdale + Gunler

outside of Laf, which trio do y'all want? You can custom your own. Go.

I'd imagine Mavrik Bourque becomes a high % pick now

Rather go Sanderson/Gunler/Quinn

Go bigger

Reactions: guyzeur

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018

I hope they use all of the picks in the first 3 rounds. We have a lot of prospects but no world beaters and I don't really think there's this big logjam....because none of our guys have panned out yet.

No giving players spots. I'm not calling Brown a bust but he's not won a spot yet. Batherson seems like a good player from our system. But that's the only one so far and he's still not exactly a Hossa. We're lucky to have a lot of picks, use the top ones to pick good players and hopefully we end up with a lot of good players.

When I look at our system I see a few good prospects and a bunch of "stuff". They need quantity as much as quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad