Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 60th Overall Pick, Will Cuylle, LW

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Whats not to like twice the size of Lias and a much better skater.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just sounds like he was the BPA on the board at that point. @Edge said the Rangers had him rated 30th overall in the draft. Could be a steal.

He's got a good balance here. The offense didn't quite come along as well as had been hoped, and so that drops him a bit.

But Cuylle has a hell of a shot and good hands in close. The key for his offensive success is going to be about learning how to use those tools in a way that has a higher probability of success. I think he's already learned he's not necessarily going to be the most skilled guy on the ice. However, if he can stop over-thinking the offense, and just use his gifts to wreak havoc in front of the net, he's talented enough to bury the pucks.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't get the Ryan Gropp comparison at all. This guy is big in ways that Ryan Gropp is not. He also is physical and mean in ways that Ryan Gropp is not. This is a great pick IMO. The next best to him for me would have been Zayde Wisdom. Between the two I would have gone with Cuylle though.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I don't get the Ryan Gropp comparison at all. This guy is big in ways that Ryan Gropp is not. He also is physical and mean in ways that Ryan Gropp is not. This is a great pick IMO. The next best to him for me would have been Zayde Wisdom. Between the two I would have gone with Cuylle though.

Every failed Ranger draft pick becomes the go to comparison if someone doesn't like the pick. I've been hoping the Ranger take this kid for a good two months...absolutely thrilled with this pick.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's got a good balance here. The offense didn't quite come along as well as had been hoped, and so that drops him a bit.

But Cuylle has a hell of a shot and good hands in close. The key for his offensive success is going to be about learning how to use those tools in a way that has a higher probability of success. I think he's already learned he's not necessarily going to be the most skilled guy on the ice. However, if he can stop over-thinking the offense, and just use his gifts to wreak havoc in front of the net, he's talented enough to bury the pucks.

I can see this guy actually becoming a hard nosed 3rd liner--somebody you could go to war with in the playoffs.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Every failed Ranger draft pick becomes the go to comparison if someone doesn't like the pick. I've been hoping the Ranger take this kid for a good two months...absolutely thrilled with this pick.

There were a bunch of forwards I had for the second round if we managed to get a pick and Cuylle was one of them.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I was waiting for LAK to step in at some point. Happy to hear from locals I respect that they like Cuylle. Looks like another attempt to get a player the Rangers were / still hoping Lemieux would become.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
This is turning a negative into a positive. Hope this kid pans out, even as a bottom six addition. I like him naturally because he's also a Will. Tom Wilson 2.0 or Tom Wilson lite.

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
Love this pick
Took him in many of my mock simulations haha
These are the kind of guys we need
Let him and Lem reek havok

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Hopefully picking Cuylle was Wisdom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->