Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 197th Overall Pick, Giant Swedish Goalie

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I think the Rangers are on a mission to find the next really good back up type behind Shesterkin so they can trade Georgiev for a good return. I already believe they have it in Wall but let's see how he does in the AHL.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think the Rangers are on a mission to find the next really good back up type behind Shesterkin so they can trade Georgiev for a good return. I already believe they have it in Wall but let's see how he does in the AHL.
I mean no doubt they're looking for someone to replace Georgiev, but by the time this kid is ready (if that ever happens) Georgiev will be long gone.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
important development,
deserves a bump and some spotlight

it could be the Tyler Wall arc, all over again
(but with the Fogarty/Hughes, gap year before NCAA, as well)

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
Thank god we passed over Wallstedt what with this brick wall in our pipeline lol. Can't wait to see how the other 7 foot gorilla these idiots drafted this year does? Sigh.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Found some game footage...

walrus-goalie.gif

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

meh its just the natire of the position. Only 2 goalies per team, and up until recently playing time was heavily tilted towards your starter rather than the 1a/1b trend.

Many teams have just as many if not more misses than us in the same time period.

Blackburn was also well on his way to becoming a great goalie until injured. And Shesty looks to be a top goalie. So not too bad.

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
tbf i feel like actually drafting your starting goalie (in this case, elite/HOF material and another with potential to be one of the top in the league) once a decade is actually quite good.. would be nice to hit on a 1b or good backup though.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
this was the guy's first game in how long? yeah it sucked.
but his commitment to NCAA a game-play and conditioning arc that may suit him

Reactions: will1066

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. He's one of three goalies on the roster. The presumptive starter is a sophomore who started 15 games last season. There's also the guy who was the starter two years ago before having Covid and injury issues last year. Neither of those two are very good--they won't be leaving early to turn pro--but Ollas will probably have to beat them out for starts. It possible at least for a season or two that he doesn't see many starts.

They had a Finnish kid who split time with the starter two years ago who only got a handful of games last year, and is now back in Mestis.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
this was the guy's first game in how long? yeah it sucked.
but his commitment to NCAA a game-play and conditioning arc that may suit him

Yeah, his commitment to Merrimack means we retain his rights for one additional year (assuming he stays until he graduates)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. He's one of three goalies on the roster. The presumptive starter is a sophomore who started 15 games last season. There's also the guy who was the starter two years ago before having Covid and injury issues last year. Neither of those two are very good--they won't be leaving early to turn pro--but Ollas will probably have to beat them out for starts. It possible at least for a season or two that he doesn't see many starts.

They had a Finnish kid who split time with the starter two years ago who only got a handful of games last year, and is now back in Mestis.

Yeah, at the same time, it sounds like he should beat out those guys ‘if he is any good’.

Saw an interview in Sweden, the organization pushes for the move to the NCAA.

Also, saw that someone above thrashed this pick for his sv%. But I mean, history isn’t short of goaltenders who was crappy or at least had crappy sv% when they were juniors.

I can certainly not thrash or vouch for this pick, haven’t seen enough of the 7th round candidates. But like, just like someone like Chara was god awful when he was 18 and could improve by building up a tremendous physic, you hope this kid can do to.

And lastly, it’s not like he is “just” big. He is pretty accomplished being at the top of his age group for a long time and so forth.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
In fairness I think it was more a shot at not taking wallstedt. Just it was so loosely connected that it falls kinda flat
I like taking big goalies with late picks, they always seem to take longer to get in their groove and develop right.
I think people are sleeping on Huska. He’s another big kid who has enough talent to be a solid nhl back up. I doubt he’ll ever be a full time starter. But he looked solid for us in the preseason against the Flyers not too long ago. He really came on in Hartford and helped solidify the goal tending situation there. He at least gave the team a chance to win every night, not too many stinckers.
Hartford wasn’t exactly a powerhouse last season either. I think we are going to see a vast improvement of his numbers with Hartford’s revamped defense this season. He’s going to open some eyes.
Right now, talent wise There’s still hope for him and Garand imo.
I would have absolutely taken Wallstedt when he fell as well, but over the next 4 seasons we are going to need the help at wings cheap/ELC top 9, then in goal.
There’s still 2-3 season to find a potential next starting goalie via the draft before shesty new deal enters the discussion. Hopefully Ollas can find his game in that timeframe as well

Last edited:
Reactions: will1066

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I like taking big goalies with late picks, they always seem to take longer to get in their groove and develop right.
I think people are sleeping on Huska. He’s another big kid who has enough talent to be a solid nhl back up. I doubt he’ll ever be a full time starter. But he looked solid for us in the preseason against the Flyers not too long ago. He really came on in Hartford and helped solidify the goal tending situation there. He at least gave the team a chance to win every night, not too many stinckers.
Hartford wasn’t exactly a powerhouse last season either. I think we are going to see a vast improvement of his numbers with Hartford’s revamped defense this season. He’s going to open some eyes.
Right now, talent wise There’s still hope for him and Garand imo.
I would have absolutely taken Wallstedt when he fell as well, but over the next 4 seasons we are going to need the help at wings cheap/ELC top 9, then in goal.
There’s still 2-3 season to find a potential next starting goalie via the draft before shesty new deal enters the discussion. Hopefully Ollas can find his game in that timeframe as well
Húska was mediocre last year and mediocre the year before. He hasn't been consistently good since he was a sophomore in college. I've been his biggest cheerleader, but time is running out for him. If he doesn't show real progress this year (at age 24) I'd expect him to be out of the organization next year. Guys who can do what he did the past two seasons are literally a dime a dozen.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Húska was mediocre last year and mediocre the year before. He hasn't been consistently good since he was a sophomore in college. I've been his biggest cheerleader, but time is running out for him. If he doesn't show real progress this year (at age 24) I'd expect him to be out of the organization next year. Guys who can do what he did the past two seasons are literally a dime a dozen.

And replaced by Lindbom! I'm kidding haha. Garand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad