Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 134th Overall Pick, Brett Berard, LW

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Finding guys like Berard late helps soften the blow of picks like Lindbom but it’s really hard to avoid the what if scenarios when thinking about it.
While most of us, if not all, disagreed with the Lindbom pick, he was clearly targeted by the Rangers. Much like Tarnstrom this year. That said, I think that every organization's management is going to to have some hits and some misses. As well as some head scratchers. Overall, there is more than enough to like about the way that they have been drafting.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
That I can wholeheartedly agree with.

I still believe Berard and Vierling dropping was caused by the pandemic affecting hockey in NA, with so many European prospects playing in the weeks leading up to the draft, it just feels like a lot of them had a late surge in where they eventually ended up being picked.

I haven't really had the time to dive into this to see if it's correct, it's just a theory, but both Berard and Vierling IMO could have easily been 3rd rounders if not 2nd rounders

You are not wrong, every player on this WJC team that was a 2020 draftee was hilariously under drafted. Even Brisson who was a late 1st. He should have gone long before the Russians CBJ and Toronto drafted. He probably goes top 10 in a redraft right now. Bordeleau for sure goes in the 1st round of a redraft.

Faber is going to be one of many steals by the Kings who have by far the best pool in all of hockey. Slagert probably should have gone in round 2 as well.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
A head scratcher from the moment the pick was announced. I don’t think Bode Wilde was ever a consideration for them, not a player type they target, but how the hell was Drury not the pick there? Makes no sense.

Finding guys like Berard late helps soften the blow of picks like Lindbom but it’s really hard to avoid the what if scenarios when thinking about it.

There are going to be misses. That is inevitable. Some will be guys the board loved, others will be guys the board hated.

The obvious key is having more hits than misses.

If we have a Miller, Lundkvist, Kravtsov, Berard, Schneider, Chytil, Barron for every Lindbom and Andersson, we will be doing very well for ourselves.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
And none of the guys who haven’t done well can be marked down as misses just yet either.

I’m merely basing it off early returns and whether the progress since being drafted has been positive or negative.

no definitely not misses at this time. But the last top 6 or top 4 (f/d) we've actually drafted and developed is... Buch? Facts are our record is spotty and I really hope these guys or a majority of them pan out. but we still don't know yet. Chytil is obv the furthest along but he's not there yet.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
no definitely not misses at this time. But the last top 6 or top 4 (f/d) we've actually drafted and developed is... Buch? Facts are our record is spotty and I really hope these guys or a majority of them pan out. but we still don't know yet. Chytil is obv the furthest along but he's not there yet.

I’m gonna tap our right now.

I’ve debated our track record for drafting and developing more times than I care to recall.

I have as much desire to engage in that conversation again as Lias Andersson had of playing for the Rangers in 2020.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
There are going to be misses. That is inevitable. Some will be guys the board loved, others will be guys the board hated.

The obvious key is having more hits than misses.

If we have a Miller, Lundkvist, Kravtsov, Berard, Schneider, Chytil, Barron for every Lindbom and Andersson, we will be doing very well for ourselves.
Yeah, I’m not making a comment on aggregate draft success here. That’s just one pick that never made any sense. Pick value was off, not an organizational need, “surprise” fallers available, etc.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Drafted and/or developed:

Kreider, Miller, Dubinsky, Callahan, McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Fox, TDA, MDZ (he was top 4 for a few years). I'm sure I'm missing some. You seem to be going back to 2017 only.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The thing with Berard is he was one of the youngest players in his draft class---also one of the lightest and one with more likely potential to grow into a larger framed player. I think making player comparison predictions on him at this current point in time is premature.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The thing with Berard is he was one of the youngest players in his draft class---also one of the lightest and one with more likely potential to grow into a larger framed player. I think making player comparison predictions on him at this current point in time is premature.

Yes and no. Even being on the younger side in his draft it is still quite unlikely that Berard grows into 6”2 200 lb power forward. Dubinsky was rather an exception than a rule. Most likely we will have someone around 5’10”-5’11” and in 180s lb weight category.

When I made a comparison to Callahan it wasn’t only the statute, maybe not even the primary. The hustle and willingness to do hard-working dirty little plays all over the ice was / is the can’t miss calling card. Neither can overpower opponents physically. Also like Callahan his other attributes are not weakness but at the same time are not exceptional to the extent of allowing to “cheat”, and I’m sure Berard knows that the only way for him to succeed is to play the right way all the time.

Finally being drafted in the fifth round provides both chip on a shoulder and a warning that nothing will be given - everything will have to be earned if he were to become an NHLer. Just like Callahan.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Don't get me wrong, we all love to see kids turn into stars.

But consider me thrilled if this kid can keep progressing and translate his game into a fun and energizing bottom six role, while popping in a few points.

Getting the offense from Berard would be great, but it's really not going to be the defining aspect for me. Give me the NHL, support player version of the player we've seen thus far. I'll take it.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Don't get me wrong, we all love to see kids turn into stars.

But consider me thrilled if this kid can keep progressing and translate his game into a fun and energizing bottom six role, while popping in a few points.

Getting the offense from Berard would be great, but it's really not going to be the defining aspect for me. Give me the NHL, support player version of the player we've seen thus far. I'll take it.

Also considering we cant ice twelve top-6 forwards, we *do actually need* some of our kids to be 3rd and 4th liners.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Also considering we cant ice twelve top-6 forwards, we *do actually need* some of our kids to be 3rd and 4th liners.

There was a thread on the mainboards that I disagreed with but some people consider it a top 9 and not a top 6. 3rd liners are supposed to have some offense in them. That said I disagreed with them because there's a significant difference between the top 6 and 3rd line. But there's an even bigger difference between the 3rd and 4th line.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
We’re so used to having to hope that guys like this turn into top 6ers that it’s nice to just sit back and hope he becomes an NHLer at all because he’s not a prospect that is going to make or break us. Bottom six energy guy I’d be ecstatic.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
There was a thread on the mainboards that I disagreed with but some people consider it a top 9 and not a top 6. 3rd liners are supposed to have some offense in them. That said I disagreed with them because there's a significant difference between the top 6 and 3rd line. But there's an even bigger difference between the 3rd and 4th line.

Checking lines are really a thing of the past.

Most teams run 3 scoring lines and the 4th line is a hodgepodge of whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->