Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 134th Overall Pick, Brett Berard, LW

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
A line of Bretts Howden, Berard, and Ritchie would be intriguing. A mixed skill set.
I also raised an eyebrow seeing Brett Ritchie non-qualified. As a 12-13F he’s pretty good, right?

(or are you talking about the other Ritchie?)

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Marchand comparisons... I dig it.

This players/prospects are awesome because we now have the luxury of letting them develop.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Could be our version of Connor Garland??

I don't know--not sure he's going to have that kind of offense. Garland coming out of the Q put up a shitload of points if I remember right. Off the puck Berard strikes me a lot like a skinnier version of Ryan Callahan. He's kind of like flypaper--once it's on you you can't get it off.

I know a lot of analysts think Berard is one of the best sleepers in the draft. Chicago I think picked up this 6'8 D late in the draft Louis Crevier. He's basically just defense but he uses his size and reach to full advantage and is super difficult to beat. I was interested to see who took him too.

Last edited:
Reactions: RangersFan1994

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Berard will capture the hearts of the fan base by the end of his sophomore season.

bucket!
Are you saying...Berard will “steal” our “hearts”?
upload_2020-11-16_5-1-7.jpeg

I’m thinking I’ll never be able to dis-associate him from Buster now. It’s burned into my brain.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Compared to Brad Marchand, because of his size and style of play - which would be nice.

Scouting report on him -

Recent draft scouting report on Brett Berard -

" Born just six days before the cut-off for the 2021 NHL Draft, Brett Berard is a crafty, offensive winger with a skillset that allows him to carve through the middle of the ice with consistency. In his second year with the U.S. Development Program, Berard grew to be one of the leaders on the U18 team — finishing third in scoring with 16 goals and 18 assists in 41 games, and a 1.38 points-per-game in USHL action. Both those totals represent big jumps from his time with the program last season, where he finished ninth in team scoring. Berard’s point totals would’ve realistically been higher in 2020 had he not suffered in an injury at the Five Nations Tournament in the Czech Republic; by the time he was healthy again, hockey had come to a full stop.

Here’s what we like about Berard. He’s a smart distributor of the puck, showcasing patience beyond his years to allow for options to open up, and utilizing his agility to weave his slight body around the offensive zone to buy some time. His hockey sense and feet allow him to cover a lot of ice, including for his defenders at the top of the zones when needed, and is primarily used as a puck pursuer on the forecheck as he attempts to force turnovers. Due to his size, he’s better in the pursuit role or supporting the forecheck through his positioning rather than being in the battle; and honestly, it’s a better use of his skills as he can make a quick play with the puck once it’s poked free that other players might not see.

While his size is worrying, especially when he can be bullied off the puck at the USHL level, Berard does what he can to try and play his style of game — an antagonizer — despite it. He’s not scared to challenge bigger defenders by driving the puck into the middle of the ice; to battle opposing players (hence his penalty totals); and to attack the top of the circles to unleash a quick wrist shot.

Berard really benefitted from playing with top 2021 prospect Matthew Beniers this season, as the young centre was relentless on the forecheck and opened up space for Berard to fade into coverage. Sometimes, they were paired with Thomas Bordeleau to form a “Killer B’s” line that buzzed both offensively and defensively. In the 28 games that Pick224 has data for, Berard ranked third on the team among draft-eligible players in both even-strength production and primary points-per-game.

Berard is committed to the Providence Friars, where his mother played field hockey and his dad played goalie. Berard’s father was an assistant coach at Providence for much of Brett’s childhood before becoming the head coach of Holy Cross’ men’s program, and Brett credits him for a lot of his hockey sense, even participating in (non-contact) drills with the Friars when he was 14. Berard’s goal is to carve out an identity similar to fellow 5-foot-9 agitator Brad Marchand, and build strength that allows him to grind or bash around as needed. He’ll have one more year with a talented crop of 2021 players in the NTDP before heading off to college, making Berard a more ‘long-term’ project than other players in this draft. That being said, it’s rare to find top-six upside outside of the first-round, and Berard might still be there in round three for a team willing to take the risk. "

He's got some Marchand in him, but thus far he's not as pesky as him or a guy who walks that fine line. I just say that because Marchand strikes a very distinct mental image and I'm not quite sure Berard would match that image if people saw him.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
He's got some Marchand in him, but thus far he's not as pesky as him or a guy who walks that fine line. I just say that because Marchand strikes a very distinct mental image and I'm not quite sure Berard would match that image if people saw him.
Pretty much this.

He gets in the occasional scrum after whistles and is not afraid to put the body on larger opponents, but that's where the comparison begins and ends. He's not exactly devising ways to piss off his opponents on a shift by shift basis.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I remember a young Marchand as being more of a physical pest, and less of an actual annoyance. I feel like he became more of an actual dick once he got the the NHL and settled in. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Pretty much this.

He gets in the occasional scrum after whistles and is not afraid to put the body on larger opponents, but that's where the comparison begins and ends. He's not exactly devising ways to piss off his opponents on a shift by shift basis.

From a build, swagger on the ice perspective --- he reminds me a little bit of Marc Savard as a teenager.

Reactions: CaptTennille

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
From a build, swagger on the ice perspective --- he reminds me a little bit of Marc Savard as a teenager.
Now that you mention it, Savard seems like a much closer comparable than Marchand.

Good instincts, adaptable, more of a playmaker than goalscorer, solid hands but not overly flashy,uses teammates well and willing to get into the mix when needed - seems to fit both Brett and Marc to a T.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Now that you mention it, Savard seems like a much closer comparable... Good instincts, adaptable, more of a playmaker than goal scorer, solid hands but not overly flashy, uses teammates well and willing to get into the mix when needed - seems to fit both Brett and Marc to a T.

maybe not a top 5 NYR worst trade (Middleton deal, Carpenter deal, Norstrom deal, E.Staal deal, ...)
but close - oh if only Neil Smith kept his hands off the phone on draft day '99

1999-Jun-26 Draft pick rights (#4 overall, NYR select Pavel Brendl) traded from Tampa Bay Lightning to New York Rangers for Niklas Sundstrom, Dan Cloutier, round 1 pick in the 2000 draft (#8 overall) and round 3 pick in the 2000 draft

1999-Jun-26 Draft pick rights (#9 overall, NYR select Jamie Lundmark) traded from Calgary Flames with Jan Hlavac and round 3 pick in the 1999 draft (Patrick Aufiero) to New York Rangers for Marc Savard and round 1 pick in the 1999 draft (#11 overall, Oleg Saprykin)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->