Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 103rd Overall Pick, Dylan Garand, G

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I believe in picking goalies every year or second year at worst. They're so hard to predict and take so long to develop, why not stockpile at the most important position in hockey?
Not remotely true. Dallas just made the finals with a 35 year old career backup in net. All you need is for your goalie to get hot at the right time. Murray and Binnington for example.

Reactions: CasusBelli

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Not remotely true. Dallas just made the finals with a 35 year old career backup in net. All you need is for your goalie to get hot at the right time. Murray and Binnington for example.

All you need? Please explain how to time it so a good team's run is not ruined. So many examples of solid teams being ruined by a weak goaltending.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Hard to be too mad at the pick. As much as people dislike taking goalies because of perceived lack of value, teams sure are eager to draft them. He's the 8th goalie taken (5 more after him as well already). People seem to be decently high on him as well.

Love his confidence as well, hope his words come true.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The chances are that this guy will be much worse than Murray.
Chances are a fourth round goalie won’t be as good as an NHL goalie

Ds8xoVGVYAAlvrh.jpg

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I think that taking a goalie every year is a very good policy to have. I would prefer to always use one of our last couple picks on them, and never to take them inside of some arbitrary cutoff which hovers around where we've taken Garand.

But whatever, he's a very good prospect, and it's much better than if we had taken him with #60.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath

So did Murray and Binnington magically appear or were they drafted?....think you need to research what "not remotely true " means

Reactions: kovazub94

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Garand - A technically sound goalie who always seems to be in position to make the save and doesn't waste a lot of energy. He looks bigger in the net than his size because he makes himself a target. Doesn't make a ton of acrobatic saves, but he doesn't have to. Was excellent at following the puck.

At 103, I'm comfortable taking a flyer on a goalie.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Wouldn't it be a good thing to have a guy you can rely on to be hot in the playoffs instead of crossing your fingers?

Reactions: kovazub94

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I think that taking a goalie every year is a very good policy to have. I would prefer to always use one of our last couple picks on them, and never to take them inside of some arbitrary cutoff which hovers around where we've taken Garand.

But whatever, he's a very good prospect, and it's much better than if we had taken him with #60.
Im also of the ilk that it's good to pick up insurance for the G position.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I like this pick. A small, athletic, technically sound goalie is right in Benoit Allaire's wheelhouse. He probably ends up like Lafleur or Halverson, but we also got Lundqvist and Shesterkin this way, and in the 4th round that strikes me as a pretty good gamble.

Reactions: egelband

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The chances are that this guy will be much worse than Murray.
What are the chances a F here is worse than Tanner Glass?
Yyea sure let's just find the career backup 35 year old every year. Or the AHLer who comes up and transforms into a god. Easy.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
The reality is that the only positions that come open at forward and defense will be for players dealt to to cap reasons. The roster will pretty much never have any open spots due to the absurd amount of depth on the team and in the farm. So, with teams every year looking to fix their crappy goaltending or trying to replace the old fart they are using in net due to desperation, late round goalie picks aren't a bad idea. When you have 2 to 3 first round picks year after year, you really aren't going to have to find that many late round gems at forward and defense if your scouts do their job well.

Take Georgiev for example. Let's say he plays quite a few games this season. Plays very well. A team like Detroit continues to be a joke in goal. They eventually will have to pony up. Maybe a player like Wall plays lights out in the AHL. Rangers can get a lot for Georgiev. Detroit is clueless. They made a huge mistake not taking Askarov. They probably could have traded back a few spots, got some good extra picks and then took him.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He will be one of the best goalies in the WHL next season. Hes a very good goalie and will get alot of praise and attention across the WHL over the next couple seasons and will be named to allstar teams I have no doubt about.

Obviously his size is a huge question mark though. His hockeydb page says 6'1 but there is not a chance he is that size. I would say he is about 5'10 right now at the VERY most.

I dont mind teams taking chances on these goalies that are smaller and are top goalies in junior, but I really dont see him becoming an NHL goalie.. I hope I am wrong and i hope he makes it, but i just think size will be a factor with him

I probably would have taken a chance with him in the 6th or 7th round... not the 4th

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
You can never have enough goalies. Plus we have one of the best goalie development systems in the NHL. We've turned shit into backup gold for us and even drafted a hall of famer. We should always take a mid round goalie. Look at Shesto.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Interesting pick here in the 4th, really young player for this draft with already strong results I n junior. Just turned 18 in June. Very quick and athletic, has his own style but in the Raanta, Georgiev and Shesty mould. I think he’ll be one to keep an eye on.

if you ignore the order and tell me we got Berard, Vierling, Tarnstrom and Garand in the 3 thru 5th, it’s a solid group.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm fine with this pick. The Lindom pick was awful because Ryan McLeod, Body Wilde, Jack Drury, and Akil Thomas were still available. All players I would have preferred, especially 3 of them being centers.

Wasn’t my preference to take a goalie there. But the sad thing is that once again Lindbom is playing very well when healthy. The problem is keeping him in the lineup.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Take Georgiev for example. Let's say he plays quite a few games this season. Plays very well. A team like Detroit continues to be a joke in goal. They eventually will have to pony up. Maybe a player like Wall plays lights out in the AHL. Rangers can get a lot for Georgiev. Detroit is clueless. They made a huge mistake not taking Askarov. They probably could have traded back a few spots, got some good extra picks and then took him.

Hanging on to Georgiev may have been a smart move. Huge shakeup in goalies this offseason so the return may have not been there. Then at the deadline or next offseason the Rangers could be holding a young goalie capable of starting and get a bigger return.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I definitely think the Rangers want to deal Georgiev. I believe they are hoping to get a late first for him. So if a contending team suddenly becomes unhappy with their goaltending or one goes down before the deadline, they might give Gorton a call. I love the idea of having 2 or 3 first rounders every year. It will really help keep the team deep as they have more and more 8+ million contracts.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Draft round of the goalies who played >20 starts last season by GSAx:
1: 4
2: 9
3: 3
4: 3
5: 3
6: 1
7: 2
UDFA: 6 (Halak was a ninth-round/270+ pick)

Your top goalies seem to come most often from the top two or three rounds in the draft. Which, that makes plenty of sense. If you really need to add some elite goaltending prospects to your system you use a top-60 pick. Beyond that, guys picked in the 6th, 7th, or signed as UDFA make up just as many of the league's starting goalies as guys picked 3rd, 4th, and 5th.

It just seems to me that if you are feeling you are pretty set in goal (we are; and yes I know that can change quickly), you're better off taking goalies at the very end of the draft and signing them as UDFAs (or making minor trades to acquire them like Raanta) rather than taking them in the middle rounds when there are still interesting skater prospects available.

Talbot was an UDFA. Raanta we acquired for a mediocre AHL player. Georgiev was an UDFA. Lundqvist was a 7th round pick. Vally and Biron basically played for the the minimum or really cheap. Wall who looks promising was taken in the sixth. Huska in the seventh. Of course, Lundqvist was the key--we got lucky there which allowed us to find these other guys using minimal draft capital and other resources. But we've seemingly done it again with Shesterkin--we found that stud that now allows us to use late picks, fringe players, and UDFA signings to try to supplement the system.

Jury is out on Lindbom (2nd). Halverson (2nd) was a fail. Skapski (6th) and Stajcer (5th) were fails. I'd rather fail with Skapski and Stajcer than Lindbom and Halverson. Lafleur (2nd) was a terrible fail--same year we signed Wiikman and Zaba. They also sucked, though less than Lafleur, and didn't cost a 2nd.

I don't really have a problem with Garand, honestly. He could have gone higher and he's not a bad value here. It's more just about the philosophy of drafting goalies. As long as we're "set" I don't think we should invest anything more than a 6th, 7th, or UDFA contract on a goalie. I just about Ollas but that's a good pick. You take flyers on these guys and hope in a few years you have another starting-calier guy waiting in the wings. I don't think, given our current situation, that you actively pursue them with higher picks. I think that's the wrong approach.

But what do I know?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad