2020 NHL Dmen Rankings #13

13th

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So Eric Karlsson of the Sharks goes 12th probably his lowest ranking in many years after a couple a so so seasons by his standards. Tremendous dman, now healthy could easily climb this list if we do again next off season. Anyways 13 is NEXT. Let me know if you want someone added

1 TB Hedman 82% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #1
2 NASH Josi 76% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen #2
3 COLU Jones 40% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #3
4 Pieterangelo LVGK 59% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #4
5 DALL Heiskanen 39% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #5
6 WASH Carlson 26% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #6
7 CAR Slavin 40% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #7
8 COL Makar 33% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #8
9 CAR Hamilton 23% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #9
10 VAN Hughes 19% 2020 NHL Dmen Rankings #10
11 BOS Macavoy 26% 2020 NHL Dmen Rankings #11
12 SJ Karlsson 19% 2020 NHL Dmen Rankings #12

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Talk about what have you done for me lately. Doughty, Letang, Giordano etc behind a player such as Hughes...wow
this isnt asking who had the better career.

Unless you acutally think those guys are currently better than Quinn Hughes? I guarantee that they arent now, and wont be going forward.

Reactions: majormajor

bov

Nov 13, 2010

Unless you acutally think those guys are currently better than Quinn Hughes? I guarantee that they arent now, and wont be going forward.

They're all better in most facets of the game. Hughes looked overmatched defensively and physically when the going got tough. Many of the players in this poll have not only maintained respectable offense but are playing heavy minutes against the best players in the league every game for years on end. Hughes has a long way to go to overtake these guys, I honestly think his rank in this poll is laughable although not surpising.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
They're all better in most facets of the game. Hughes looked overmatched defensively and physically when the going got tough. Many of the players in this poll have not only maintained respectable offense but are playing heavy minutes against the best players in the league every game for years on end. Hughes has a long way to go to overtake these guys, I honestly think his rank in this poll is laughable although not surpising.
sure, hes not the best defensively at the moment, but his offense and puck handling/possession skills definitely make up for it. I dont think any coach or GM would take the 3 you mentioned over Hughes in a playoff game at all. I mean, the kid had 16P in 17GP!! What did the others do int he playoffs that impressed you exactly?

Doughty had an awful season, hes pretty much on a steep decline. Letang lost a big step in his overall play, he didnt even have a single point vs MTL, and Gio sure as hell didnt look like the Norris winning Dman he was 2 seasons ago.

No way would I take thier defense over Hughes' offense. No way in hell.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
sure, hes not the best defensively at the moment, but his offense and puck handling/possession skills definitely make up for it. I dont think any coach or GM would take the 3 you mentioned over Hughes in a playoff game at all. I mean, the kid had 16P in 17GP!! What did the others do int he playoffs that impressed you exactly?

Doughty had an awful season, hes pretty much on a steep decline. Letang lost a big step in his overall play, he didnt even have a single point vs MTL, and Gio sure as hell didnt look like the Norris winning Dman he was 2 seasons ago.

No way would I take thier defense over Hughes' offense. No way in hell.

Pretty much. I mean Doughty? is this guys TV stuck in 2017 or something he's been terrible 2 years now. Gio is going on 37 and Hughes had more points in one playoff run than the guy has over the entirety of his career!

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Don’t know why you are singling out Hughes. A similar player (but imo worse) in Makar went 2 spots higher and he struggles a lot more with defending and physicality.

Also, Hughes was playing through an injury in the beginning of the Vegas series. After the 2 days of rest he was much closer to healthy and played really well.

That being said, I agree that Hughes (and Makar and McAvoy) should not have gone this high. McAvoy should be around 15 and the other 2 should be around 20-25.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Pretty much. I mean Doughty? is this guys TV stuck in 2017 or something he's been terrible 2 years now. Gio is going on 37 and Hughes had more points in one playoff run than the guy has over the entirety of his career!
Giordano is still a #1 defensemen, and I would go with him ahead of Hughes. His 2019 season was dominant.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Don’t know why you are singling out Hughes. A similar player (but imo worse) in Makar went 2 spots higher and he struggles a lot more with defending and physicality.

Also, Hughes was playing through an injury in the beginning of the Vegas series. After the 2 days of rest he was much closer to healthy and played really well.

That being said, I agree that Hughes (and Makar and McAvoy) should not have gone this high. McAvoy should be around 15 and the other 2 should be around 20-25.

Yeah no. Makar is a lot stronger than Hughes. His defense improved markedly by the postseason.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Not so sure on Doughty. I totally buy into the "not motivated on a bad team" theory. Is that a good look? No. Would Doughty winning another Norris after LAs kids start developing shock me? No.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Honestly after the top 4 there is a big grouping of guys that are interchangeable for a good bit depending on how you want to build your team. There is no way I take Carlson or Hamilton over McAvoy, for instance, but I know that most wouldn't agree and I understand their reasoning.

Reactions: travis scott

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Honestly after the top 4 there is a big grouping of guys that are interchangeable for a good bit depending on how you want to build your team. There is no way I take Carlson or Hamilton over McAvoy, for instance, but I know that most wouldn't agree and I understand their reasoning.
How many players are in that group? Because from the looks of things; Werenski will be lucky to be in the top 20. And I too understand the arguments HF has against Werenski (Jones as a partner) yet we are constantly called a defensive team? Zach's been consistently scoring 10+ goals and 40+points his first 4 years while playing against other teams top lines. BTW he's scored more than anyone else on that list this year while playing in Tort's defensive system.

5 DALL Heiskanen
7 CAR Slavin
8 COL Makar
9 CAR Hamilton
10 VAN Hughes
11 BOS Macavoy
12 SJ Karlsson

smh

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Carlson and Hamilton are both overrated. Carlson is borderline top 15 but Hamilton is closer to 30 imo.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
He had injuries that slowed him. Will be well rested when the season starts.
Unfortunately thats highly doubtful. He was the 14th oldest player in the nhl last year and will be top 10 next. Players at that age dont have resurgences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad