NFL: 2020 NFL season news & notes discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

What do you guys think? Jimmy G released in offseason? Matt Ryan joins the 49ers?

Anything is possible.

ATL, would move Ryan if they are in position to draft one of the top 3 QBs. But, moving Ryan would result in a big dead cap hit so who knows. Same applies to Cousins in Minny. Big dead cap hit as well. So, these are the 2 veteran QBs who worked with Shanahan in the past.

What do NFL execs feel about Darnold. Some media reports say that the Jets wouldn't get more than a 2nd rounder max. Any team acquiring Darnold would have to decide by March to pick up the 5th year option without him ever playing a snap for them, which would be a $20 plus million commitment. I heard now that the 5th year option is then fully guaranteed, when before it was only fully guaranteed for injury only. So, always possible for SF to do an extension with Darnold to average out the 2 years where is cap hit is $5 mill for 2021 and say its $23 million for 2022, to make it $14 mill or something average for the 2 years. SF, if things don't change for them would be looking at a #13-#17 draft pick if they finish around 8-8.

Who would be bold enough to step up and make the Jets an offer if there are multiple teams like Indy, Wash, NE, Dal who may be looking for a QB in the off-season? That should push up the compensation to a 1st round pick. If not a 1st, can they get a 2nd and 3rd or some combination of compensation that maximizes the return. As some of these teams may be in the top 10 of the draft.

Minimal dead cap to cut Jimmy. Less than $3 million. Just a matter of what their options are to upgrade over him? So, they have the option to move off him.

Reactions: Tuggy

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
So Bourne doesn't have covid, but the league won't let him, Aiyuk or Trent Williams play.

Why even play this game? Just give the f***ing win to GB.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

What do you guys think? Jimmy G released in offseason? Matt Ryan joins the 49ers?

This is feeling a lot like this recent NHL goalie offseason where a whole bunch of teams decide they want something new and merely shuffle names around. Most teams end up no better off but they do succeed in getting change for the sake of change.

The number of desirable QBs in the draft and free agency isn't going to come close to the number of teams wanting a QB.

Reactions: Tuggy

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Wonder if he'd join his brother in Pittsburgh next year?

This is the final year of any guaranteed money for JJ. There is no dead cap charge should Houston cut him in the off-season.

For JJ, how old is Ben and how many years does he have left. JJ may have 2 or 3 good, not great years left. How many does Big Ben have?

Plenty of options out there should he decide to move on. Salary cap is expected to go down next season due to Covid, so JJ could very well be a cap casualty with his $17.5 mill due next season.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

member 157595

Roethlisberger has always been diligent with his behavior around others so I wouldn't worry

Reactions: BSHH

member 157595

I see what you did there, Bengals fan! :naughty: Sadly for Bengals fans, the new, grown up version of Big Ben is more likely to avoid bad situations. Steeler fans should be more worried about his knees right now.

Ben is playing outstanding right now, I think it even took the Steelers a bit by surprise. Dude can sure still throw the football at a high level and anyone that thought Captain Fatf*** was done was dead wrong.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What are the odds? He could indeed return and still disappoint with a Michigan team!

Gruß,
BSHH

It only takes one, but look at the guys the NFL is hiring out of college now and look at Harbaugh.

my guess is he’s with the Fox pre-game show next year.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell

WTF!!!???? This organization is a real gong show unless I am missing something here.

Edit: Wow, Schefter is really blowing up twitter over this....tons of re-tweets from angry people. From what I am gathering she made a political tweet or 2 that was not in line with ownership's views.

Last edited:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Why is that, do you think?

run blocking has been a issue for 2 or 3 years now, especially running inside. They occasionally can do somethings going outside but not with Connor. He just hasn’t got the speed. McFarland has good quickness but he is not a every down back. Even though the Steelers struggle to run it they sometimes abandon it to early in games. I don’t know if that is on Ben or the coaches

Reactions: OmniCube

member 157595

WTF!!!???? This organization is a real gong show unless I am missing something here.

Edit: Wow, Schefter is really blowing up twitter over this....tons of re-tweets from angry people. From what I am gathering she made a political tweet or 2 that was not in line with ownership's views.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

If it was tweets that she made, then that is similar to the Rockets GM who stepped down this off-season. All for Freedom of speech, but you have to remember, especially for someone in PR, that even if its your own social media accounts, you still represent the team when you are that high a level in the company. Haven't seen these tweets, so don't know how or even if they are out of line they would be. But, no one is guaranteed a job. She seems respected and talented, so pretty sure she will land on her feet. If she has a contract she will get it paid out, if no contract, then she'll get a severance for her 7 years with the organization. Given the publicity, Texans should not cheap out on that package.

member 157595

If it was tweets that she made, then that is similar to the Rockets GM who stepped down this off-season. All for Freedom of speech, but you have to remember, especially for someone in PR, that even if its your own social media accounts, you still represent the team when you are that high a level in the company. Haven't seen these tweets, so don't know how or even if they are out of line they would be. But, no one is guaranteed a job. She seems respected and talented, so pretty sure she will land on her feet. If she has a contract she will get it paid out, if no contract, then she'll get a severance for her 7 years with the organization. Given the publicity, Texans should not cheap out on that package.

If we've learned anything from the NBA, it's that it's okay to speak out against social injustice if it's profitable to do so.

EDIT: typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Big Poppa Puck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad