Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

giphy.gif

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Well obviously there's free will and no one forced any team to do anything. But in this era where players control teams, Kawhi more or less screwed over the Spurs and the Clippers. And to a lesser degree the Raptors.
he didn't screw over the spurs. the spurs were done being a title contender. if kawhi had stayed, they would've still made the playoffs as a 5-6 seed, but they wouldn't be winning any more titles

and he won a title in toronto, so i wouldn't say he "screwed" them over. more like he screwed himself over by leaving, because they would've most likely repeated as champs this year had he stayed. now he's stuck with the guy he chose to play alongside

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
he didn't screw over the spurs. the spurs were done being a title contender. if kawhi had stayed, they would've still made the playoffs as a 5-6 seed, but they wouldn't be winning any more titles

and he won a title in toronto, so i wouldn't say he "screwed" them over. more like he screwed himself over by leaving, because they would've most likely repeated as champs this year had he stayed. now he's stuck with the guy he chose to play alongside
He screwed everyone he was involved with. Everyone he was affiliated with lost this year, including himself.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

LOL

People seem to really be enjoying the Clippers failure

I dont recall a sports team getting this much ridicule especially from people within game (Lots of players talking trash , taking pleasure in this , etc)

that's what happens when you crown yourself champs before the season starts and talk all that shit

Reactions: The Night King

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
The Raptors supporting cast was hella underrated last year. One of the best defensive teams in memory, all high IQ players and most shot the 3 efficiently. Siakam as a #2/#3 option and Kyle as the PG supported Kawhi perfectly. Kawhi isn't a playmaker, he'll get you iso buckets but he doesn't run the offense. Clippers had no one to run the offense like Kyle can. Raps would have cakewalked the east with Kawhi and probably repeated as champs.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
What a night

Miami and Denver are such likeable teams , they are good for the game of basketball

I know the media wants another Lakers vs Celtics Finals, and I don’t hate either team, but I would rather see Denver and Miami rewarded for their tenacity

Reactions: member 51464

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
The Raptors supporting cast was hella underrated last year. One of the best defensive teams in memory, all high IQ players and most shot the 3 efficiently. Siakam as a #2/#3 option and Kyle as the PG supported Kawhi perfectly. Kawhi isn't a playmaker, he'll get you iso buckets but he doesn't run the offense. Clippers had no one to run the offense like Kyle can. Raps would have cakewalked the east with Kawhi and probably repeated as champs.
I actually thoroughly agree.

Lowry is a perfect PG for Kawhi.

Does all the little things well and is one of the best game managers in the league.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Murray and Jokic are playing out of this world. Might not look good on paper, but Denver is playing like a possessed team. Going to be a huge challenge for the lakers.

At a certain point you would think having to go to the wall in every series (and make all these insane comebacks in individual games) catches up with them though. Especially with a more compressed schedule.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
3rd time a Doc Rivers team blew a 3-1 series lead in playoffs

2003 - Magic blew 3-1 series lead in 1st round vs Pistons
2015 - Clippers blew 3-1 series lead in 2nd round vs Rockets
2020 - Clippers blew 3-1 series lead in 2nd round vs Nuggets

And the last two they were huge favorites. The Magic series I just remember Tracy McGrady saying how nice it was to get out of the first round finally...oops.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well obviously there's free will and no one forced any team to do anything. But in this era where players control teams, Kawhi more or less screwed over the Spurs and the Clippers. And to a lesser degree the Raptors.

I don't think he screwed over the Spurs. He helped them extend their dynasty or whatever you would call it and was a huge reason why they beat Miami in 5. What it came down to was the team wanting him to rush back before he was fully healthy. Based on how he played this year and last, I'd say him sitting out until he was 100% was the right move.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't think he screwed over the Spurs. He helped them extend their dynasty or whatever you would call it and was a huge reason why they beat Miami in 5. What it came down to was the team wanting him to rush back before he was fully healthy. Based on how he played this year and last, I'd say him sitting out until he was 100% was the right move.

Eh, the guy seems like he's pretty high maintenance tbh. He wins on teams with established good culture throughout. I'm not sure he can create that kind of culture himself.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Eh, the guy seems like he's pretty high maintenance tbh. He wins on teams with established good culture throughout. I'm not sure he can create that kind of culture himself.

Spurs of course had a solid core but he was the missing piece that they needed to make another title run. Likewise with the Raps, their core group was good but needed that final guy to truly make a run at the title. Kawhi was an absolute beast last year and ended up scoring the 3rd most payoff points in a single post season ever. Its possible they still make the finals in a LeBron-less east but he pushed them over the hump.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Spurs of course had a solid core but he was the missing piece that they needed to make another title run. Likewise with the Raps, their core group was good but needed that final guy to truly make a run at the title. Kawhi was an absolute beast last year and ended up scoring the 3rd most payoff points in a single post season ever. Its possible they still make the finals in a LeBron-less east but he pushed them over the hump.

He did still kind of screw over those teams though.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
All that will happen is the Clippers will get rid of Doc and bring in a new coach. The FAs they have this season are Morris, Trezz, Green, Patterson, Jackson, and Noah. I imagine the first three will be back but not the last three.

Roll with

Beverly/Lou/Mann
George/Shamet/McGruder
Kawhi/SF/Coffey
Morris/Green/PF
Zubac/Trezz/C

Bring in a 3 and D SF (maybe Moe back?), a couple minimum vets or rookies for the third string front court spots and call it a day.

If they really want to make a splash, they will trade Shamet for either a C or a PG, but I highly doubt that will happen.

member 51464

I don't really follow basketball, but two things are funny to me:

1) How much a historically inept franchise is getting dunked on. Usually it seems like it is only great teams (Lakers in down years, Pats if they don't win the SB, etc...) get dragged this hard.

2) How have their not been any memes or plays on the words of The Klaw getting Clipped? weak, I know. but so obvious.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
All that will happen is the Clippers will get rid of Doc and bring in a new coach. The FAs they have this season are Morris, Trezz, Green, Patterson, Jackson, and Noah. I imagine the first three will be back but not the last three.

Roll with

Beverly/Lou/Mann
George/Shamet/McGruder
Kawhi/SF/Coffey
Morris/Green/PF
Zubac/Trezz/C

Bring in a 3 and D SF (maybe Moe back?), a couple minimum vets or rookies for the third string front court spots and call it a day.

If they really want to make a splash, they will trade Shamet for either a C or a PG, but I highly doubt that will happen.

Hollinger wrote a good piece on the Clippers today:

Get a real point guard

One thing Kawhi Leonard had in both San Antonio and Toronto was a point guard capable of taking the playmaking heat off him when needed, whether to add some variety to the offense, or to just give him a break. The Clippers might consider going in a similar direction

Right now they start a theoretical point guard who can’t actually play point guard in Patrick Beverley, who attempted two short-range floaters in the third quarter of Game 7 and hit the rim zero times. The other option is a point guard-sized player (Lou Williams) who is a shooting guard on offense and a phantom on defense. Both are valuable in their own respect, but neither is helping Leonard much in the playmaking department … which is one reason they tried so hard to make Reggie Jackson work. One can argue that Leonard’s level of play fell off in part because so much was demanded of him at both ends throughout the series.

The part about the point guard is something I agree with. Beverley does some good things but none of it is as the offensive end. None of those players in their projected lineup are good playmakers other than Kawhi and even he probably isn't great in that area. Not only did he have to create his offense but he had to create for others as well only to watch them do nothing with it.

The two names he mentioned in the piece are Dragic and FVV but also said that's going to be tough for various reasons. The main reason is the cap and probably a need for sign and trades to make it happen. I also think Dragic stays in Miami and if FVV leaves Toronto it'll probably be because one of the bad teams (Knicks, Pistons) offered him a ridiculous contract.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Last night Paul George said this wasn't championship or bust, two months after saying it was championship or bust on Kevin Hart's podcast.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think cap is a factor when Steve Ballmer doesn't give an iota of a shit about spending money to build a championship caliber roster.

Only thing is i'm not sure about is if overpaying Dragic or VanVleet is the answer to the Clippers woes.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Kawhi has literally ran from every good team and culture organization he has been apart of.

He can't do it himself... it's embaressing some of the choices this guy has made. Glad it's finally showing.

Kawhi and his camp deserve this. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad