NBA 2020 NBA Draft

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Raps get their new FVV.

Jay Williams offers nothing on this broadcast.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They gotta ditch these rules on trading 1st round picks, it makes the draft really confusing when a team makes a pick and gets passed off through 2 teams who never had any intention of keeping them

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They gotta ditch these rules on trading 1st round picks, it makes the draft really confusing when a team makes a pick and gets passed off through 2 teams who never had any intention of keeping them

I agree and say the same every year but I’m rethinking things after this moment:

Reactions: punk_o_holic
Sep 19, 2008
The NBA has a lot of odd quirks which don't exist in other leagues. I also share consternation from others here on why a team would draft someone and trade them immediately. What purpose does it serve?

Do you see the Rangers drafting Lafreniere and then trading his rights immediately? No.

It probably has happened in the past but not in a LONG time (In NFL Chargers drafted Eli and immediately traded him to NYG)

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The NBA has a lot of odd quirks which don't exist in other leagues. I also share consternation from others here on why a team would draft someone and trade them immediately. What purpose does it serve?

Do you see the Rangers drafting Lafreniere and then trading his rights immediately? No.

It probably has happened in the past but not in a LONG time (In NFL Chargers drafted Eli and immediately traded him to NYG)
I think it’s the same as trading up and down with picks. NBA none of draft night trades are official until after the draft. They just draft the player for the other team and it’s the same as the team acquiring drafting.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So the Knicks basically trade the 27 and 38 for 25 and 33? How does that happen

200.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

NBA has a rule where you can't trade picks in consecutive years. So teams get around that by asking the other team who they want and just picking the player for them.

The rule is why you see trades that go like this - 2021, 2023 first round pick, 2022 and 2024 pick swaps. Basically trading 4 first round picks but skirting around the rule. Or sometimes teams will just make backdoor agreements, its why the Hawks flipped Doncic right away - if they had traded the actual pick, they would have been prohibited from trading their 2019 1st round pick.

IIRC Lindros is the last #1 (NHL wise) that was traded to another team before he played a game. But much like Manning, it was because he didnt want to play for the team that drafted him and threatened to sit out / not sign.

Sep 19, 2008

NBA has a rule where you can't trade picks in consecutive years. So teams get around that by asking the other team who they want and just picking the player for them.

The rule is why you see trades that go like this - 2021, 2023 first round pick, 2022 and 2024 pick swaps. Basically trading 4 first round picks but skirting around the rule. Or sometimes teams will just make backdoor agreements, its why the Hawks flipped Doncic right away - if they had traded the actual pick, they would have been prohibited from trading their 2019 1st round pick.

IIRC Lindros is the last #1 (NHL wise) that was traded to another team before he played a game. But much like Manning, it was because he didnt want to play for the team that drafted him and threatened to sit out / not sign.

weird

"Let me just give you a pick from 4 years from now."

Sep 19, 2008
Also OT but Lindros sat out nearly an entire year until the next draft where his rights were dealt to Philly :laugh:

You'd never see that today.He basically spent the time playing for other minor clubs

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
weird

"Let me just give you a pick from 4 years from now."

In a vacuum it is pretty funny to see a team like the knicks working so hard to load up on second round picks for the 2023 draft :laugh:

But the NBA has a lot of idiosyncrasies & they think that'll be the double draft year, so it makes sense for a team that's needs tons of work to sort through what they have already and bring in a lot more once they know what they need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad