HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Our biggest weakness is goalscoring. Kovalchuk doesn't really fix that. We have two spots left (1 if we keep Domi) on the forward group and you want to spend it on not fixing the main weakness of our forward group?

MB needs to get a goalscorer (as in 25+ goal kinda guy) for 2nd RW. Also sign a good 4th line RW who's big and can somewhat contribute offensively (Maroon, Pitlick, Hathaway). Trade Domi for prospects/picks (or that 2nd RW) or package him with Mete for an upgrade on Chiarot/Edmundson in the top4 (or that 2nd RW).

I'm fine with those moves.
But, the defense is set, barring an offer that blows MB away. I personally would like Lehkonen and Byron to be the 4th line wingers. They'd be great replacements in the top 9 if (when) there are injuries. After Armia, Drouin, Domi's replacement or Domi we need a 64h top 9 winger to play with KK or Suzuki. I'd much prefer Kovalchuk over Byron and Lehkonen. And, I think Byron and Lehkonen would make the 4th line a really good one.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
But, the defense is set, barring an offer that blows MB away. I personally would like Lehkonen and Byron to be the 4th line wingers. They'd be great replacements in the top 9 if (when) there are injuries. After Armia, Drouin, Domi's replacement or Domi we need a 64h top 9 winger to play with KK or Suzuki. I'd much prefer Kovalchuk over Byron and Lehkonen. And, I think Byron and Lehkonen would make the 4th line a really good one.
I'd take pretty much anyone over Kovalchuk going into next season. He's finished.

Reactions: Vachon23

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

If Lehkonen and Byron are on the 4th, the 2 winger (3rd LW and 2nd RW) must make at most 7 million combined to fit. If we can get Rakell for 2nd RW, we would have the money for Kovalchuk on the 3rd line if you insist. If we get Hoffman, Toffoli or any 2RW FA, no way we can afford Kovalchuk.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I can't stand any more of Byron and Lehkonen with Suzuki and KK.

I just can't stomach it. It makes my stomach turn when I'm trying to relax and watch a hockey game.

You definitely may be right in your PROJECTION of what Kovalchuk will do. No question about it. But I'll take my chances that he'll be better. Better that than what we know is absolute offensive horseshit in Lehkonen and Byron.

We have no cap space left once we sign Domi or trade him for a replacement and sign our other RFA's to fill out the roster. Trust me, there's a high probability Tatar and Gallagher will be back with Danault under Julien. He switched them for a couple games, but then switched them right back in the Flyers series.

That means we currently have Drouin, Armia, Domi (or his replacement) and Lehkonen or Byron as KK and Suzki's wingers. And we have no cap space. I'll take Kovalchuk over Lehkonen and Byron, and wouldn't at all be surprised if he does more for KK and Suzuki than Domi on the wing, tunnel vision Armia, and show up then disappear for 27 games Drouin.

Then find another solution. You don't replace offensive sieves for old bums, you're no further ahead.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
They need a very high quality player like Laine or OEL. They need a game breaker. The Habs should offer Caulfield, Domi, a 1st, and Mete for Laine. Something like that. Try abd really build the team, not just compete for 8th place.

I would try those trade before your proposal Domi + 1st round pick + their choice in Mete, Juulsen, Kulak, Fleury or Brook or Domi + Caufield + 2nd round pick + Mete, Juulsen, Fleury or Brook

Reactions: DAChampion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anderson out of Columbus could still be a target.....

He's going to be moved and they are waiting for the best offer (futures). They got 22 players under contract with $7M in cap space... PLD as a RFA to sign. Wonder what happens if they try to bridge him like Point in Tampa? This could be something to watch in the next few weeks.

Regardless, The Blue Jackets don't have cap space for Anderson. So offer them the Blues 2nd and a 4th and call it a day. Who else is going to pay futures and not try to send a contract back?

Reactions: BLONG7

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I would trade Poehling in a heartbeat if it helped in getting a Laine or Ehlers to Montreal.

Domi/Danault + Kulak + Poehling + #16
I trade for Ehlers or Laine no problem.
Hell I'd eventeven in there a Juulsen since they need Def.

Then I sign a 3rd pair veteran D to play and help Romanov and we are good to go!

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I would trade Poehling in a heartbeat if it helped in getting a Laine or Ehlers to Montreal.

Domi/Danault + Kulak + Poehling + #16
I trade for Ehlers or Laine no problem.
Hell I'd eventeven in there a Juulsen since they need Def.

Then I sign a 3rd pair veteran D to play and help Romanov and we are good to go!

For Laine ok but Ehlers I have no real interest he doesn’t bring size or playoff success doesn’t make our team better.

Reactions: Gains

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Unfortunately, with JE signing, the D is set. No space for an add whatsoever. Except if there is something we don't know about Chiarot and he is on his way out, but i reaaly doubt it. Let's hope Romanov is the real deal and he become the best lhd from the get go.

On the wings, alot of options on the trade market and UFA, with Domi and all our picks being available from our side. There is something useful that can be done here. That being said, we would need to trade or dump Byron elsewhere to get the cap space we need to do a real clean job and still have the money to sign our players going forward.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Do you guys think the Habs would go with a 22 man roster instead of 23 ?
Leaf fans are talking they would go down to a 20 man roster, no way I could see that, but 22 could happen and save $$$ that way.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Leaf fans are talking they would go down to a 20 man roster, no way I could see that, but 22 could happen and save $$$ that way.
I doubt it. If anything, I'd expect us to strive to have better players at #12-14 forward slots and #7-8 D. Last season was a clear lesson that we need better depth players then Reilly, Folin, Weal, Hudon and Peca.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Leafs ran with a 20 and 21 man roster most of the year. Habs could go with 22 man roster if they needed to yes. But comes down to who you keep and who has to clear waivers. The other factor is with Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov, we have a potential of $4M in ELC performance bonuses. I think we need at least a $2M cushion cause deferring any performance bonus cap hits to the following season is a disaster with all those UFA's we got to pay!

If we sign Mete at $1M, Evans and Juulsen at $800k, and Domi goes to arbitration (Lets say $5M)... We end up with a 23 man roster and $2.5M in cap space.

Like it or not, this might be it if we can't find a trade partner to make improvements or move Domi. A team is going to have to call us with a good offer for us to move Domi or Danault IMO.

Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Drouin / Suuzki / Armia
Domi / Kotkaniemi / Lehkonen
Poehling / Evans / Byron

Weal

Chiarot / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Romanov / Edmundson

Mete, Juulsen

Price
Allen

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Leafs ran with a 20 and 21 man roster most of the year. Habs could go with 22 man roster if they needed to yes. But comes down to who you keep and who has to clear waivers. The other factor is with Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov, we have a potential of $4M in ELC performance bonuses. I think we need at least a $2M cushion cause deferring any performance bonus cap hits to the following season is a disaster with all those UFA's we got to pay!

If we sign Mete at $1M, Evans and Juulsen at $800k, and Domi goes to arbitration (Lets say $5M)... We end up with a 23 man roster and $2.5M in cap space.

Like it or not, this might be it if we can't find a trade partner to make improvements or move Domi. A team is going to have to call us with a good offer for us to move Domi or Danault IMO.

Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Drouin / Suuzki / Armia
Domi / Kotkaniemi / Lehkonen
Poehling / Evans / Byron

Weal

Chiarot / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Romanov / Edmundson

Mete, Juulsen

Price
Allen
Would this lineup be able to score goals? We could not score goals last year. Another year of laying this on the goalies seems like a huge mistake to me. Our backup is better, and our D does look better for sure, but 2-1 and 3-2 every night seems a stretch.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would this lineup be able to score goals? We could not score goals last year. Another year of laying this on the goalies seems like a huge mistake to me. Our backup is better, and our D does look better for sure, but 2-1 and 3-2 every night seems a stretch.

We might make the playoffs with a good backup, more mature Suzuki and KK, and Drouin and Domi in stable winger spots. But we are not going on deep run. PP will still be an issue. I think Bergevin is looking to make a move but that fit might not be there in a trade. Lots of GM's inquiring right now and the flood gates have not open up yet. Draft day will be very interesting!

That roster is just the boring one in terms of us fans wanting to see better wingers. But I won't be surprised if that's what it ends up like.

We need to be careful with wasting ECL/Bridge years on the talented kids while we have Price and Weber still effective. This is what my focus is on

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I doubt it. If anything, I'd expect us to strive to have better players at #12-14 forward slots and #7-8 D. Last season was a clear lesson that we need better depth players then Reilly, Folin, Weal, Hudon and Peca.
I think the opposite...

Last year (and years prior) was a clear indication that we focus and rely too much on depth players, we rely on them to play roles that demand too much of them.

The Habs have more then enough depth, but depth isn't meant to carry a team. Your best players are supposed to and our best players simply weren't good enough and they need to be enhanced IMO.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the opposite...

Last year (and years prior) was a clear indication that we focus and rely too much on depth players, we rely on them to play roles that demand too much of them.

The Habs have more then enough depth, but depth isn't meant to carry a team. Your best players are supposed to and our best players simply weren't good enough and they need to be enhanced IMO.

Agreed. And if we don't act while we have good talent on ELC/Bridge deals while Price/Weber are still effective, we will go on for many years being mid pack range. Now is the time to make a move. We can afford to dig into the futures a bit IMO.

Reactions: DAChampion

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I like that trade but Poehling for Puljujarvi is not a good move in terms of the expansion draft. Poehling is exempt and Puljujarvi is not.

I agree about Poehling. Need more patience

If Poehling is traded IMO, it's got to be for a much needed forward like Laine in a blockbuster type deal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Poehling is traded IMO, it's got to be for a much needed forward like Laine in a blockbuster type deal.

Agreed. He is a solid add on but not a prime piece in a trade package. We all see this the same I think. But I'm not unloading him just cause he had a meh 1st year as a pro. I think GM's like Poehling's potential. Big boys that can skate well and he is considered a center. He has value in a add on trade package.

Not counting on the Habs being able to get Laine though. Nice to talk about it but we need circumstance to work in our favor. Draft day will be very very interesting!

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Agreed. He is a solid add on but not a prime piece in a trade package. We all see this the same I think. But I'm not unloading him just cause he had a meh 1st year as a pro. I think GM's like Poehling's potential. Big boys that can skate well and he is considered a center. He has value in a add on trade package.

Not counting on the Habs being able to get Laine though. Nice to talk about it but we need circumstance to work in our favor. Draft day will be very very interesting!

Absolutely agree, so then make Danault expandable in that case and stick with Poehling. At the end of the day we have too many players that fill the same role, Bergevin needs to be active and get that needed top offensive forward.
Evans is another one who has been playing great both in Laval and since he came up, I actually wouldn't be surprised if management likes him better than Poehling in the long run.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Absolutely agree, so then make Danault expandable in that case and stick with Poehling. At the end of the day we have too many players that fill the same role, Bergevin needs to be active and get that needed top offensive forward.
Evans is another one who has been playing great both in Laval and since he came up, I actually wouldn't be surprised if management likes him better than Poehling in the long run.

I'm not on board with moving Danault. Only way I trade him is if he is asking for $7M+ or a winger like Laine is available. Danault with Suzuki and KK are great top 3C mix.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I'm not on board with moving Danault. Only way I trade him is if he is asking for $7M+ or a winger like Laine is available. Danault with Suzuki and KK are great top 3C mix.
i am with you on that. Fans are so obsess with the offensive stats that they forget that there's a lot of other things in the mix . Danault is very good to play against top lines , one of the best 5-8 of the NHL . You should do everything to keep him because it will be very hard to replace him with someone as much good .

With all the Suzuki , KK, Caufield, Norlinder, Ylönen, Harris, Romanov that will be added to Gallagher, Tatar Drouin, Weber and Petry, the goals will come very soon . And this without considering all the cards Bergeron gets in his hands to deal or to sign ...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
i am with you on that. Fans are so obsess with the offensive stats that they forget that there's a lot of other things in the mix . Danault is very good to play against top lines , one of the best 5-8 of the NHL . You should do everything to keep him because it will be very hard to replace him with someone as much good .

With all the Suzuki , KK, Caufield, Norlinder, Ylönen, Harris, Romanov that will be added to Gallagher, Tatar Drouin, Weber and Petry, the goals will come very soon . And this without considering all the cards Bergeron gets in his hands to deal or to sign ...

Some fans are thinking offense only. They should go cheer for the Leafs or Oilers. Danault is one of the best 200' centers in the NHL and many teams looking for that piece to make their team more complete.

Fans thinking Suzuki, KK, Domi, Poehling are going to win face offs and do what Danault can do in terms of shutdown ability.

I'd tell Danault our plan is to keep you with Tatar and Gallagher but try to find better wingers for Suzuki and KK. The plan is to roll three 2nd lines. I think Danault would understand that

Reactions: Gains and JAPPO

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Would have been Poehling and Caufield cause the 3rd OA would have been top 10 or lottery protected. If we had ROR, probably not the 15th pick either cause we would have been a better team? Lets say we had Danault and ROR. We probably don't trade Patch and draft KK right? Things would be different. Would be ROR and Tkachuk or Hughes?

What do you like more?

Poehling, Caufield, Suzuki, Norlinder, Tatar, Kotkaniemi
vs
ROR, Patch, Tkachuk or Hughes

We don't really what would have cost ROR but we know that Buffalo was asking for 1st pick 2018 + Poehling + Danault and I think we would have trade Pacioretty even with ROR. This being said for the fun of the exercice a line of Pacioretty - O'Reilly - Tkachuk would have been by far the best line I would have seen in a Habs uniforme ( I follow the Habs since 2004)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad