HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Ah another "look at the production" and draw conclusions.

He had 4 points in 7 games with WASH in the regular season. That's the production you'd expect from a secondary scorer.

He then had 1 point in 8 games in the playoffs. You know who else had 1 point in the playoffs for Washington, OR ZERO POINTS? Eller, Backstrom, Vrana, Panick.

So by your genius logic, they're all useless. Or do you just apply your double standard to Kovalchuk??
He had one goal in 15 games as a capital and you want him back? Lol

ok man. Go sign a useless 36 year old who can’t skate. You’re living in th past
My logic is so much better than yours. Imagine Kovalchuk on the top 6
Horrendous

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

Horrendous
Semin 2.0 .

Kovalchuk was signed by habs because we had like 5 injuries on the wings. 2 months of Kovalchuk not playing because nobody wanted him in the league until habs called him. Now for some reason hes second line material.

This forum has lost it. They don't know whats skills anymore

Like Kovalchuk would outscore Domi Drouin Gallagher Tatar and Armia on wings. Ridic.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

He had 4 points in 7 games with WASH in the regular season. That's the production you'd expect from a secondary scorer.

He then had 1 point in 8 games in the playoffs. You know who else had 1 point in the playoffs for Washington, OR ZERO POINTS? Eller, Backstrom, Vrana, Panick.

So by your genius logic, they're all useless? Or do you just apply your double standard to Kovalchuk??

He clearly has no conditioning left.

Look at how he started with LA - 7 points in the first 8 games. Then 2 points in his next 9.

He gets bought out and has time to rest. Signs with the Habs. 10 points in first 12 games. Then 3 points in his next 10 (1 in the last 7 games).

Goes to Washington. Only gets points in 2 of the last 7 games of the season. Add the playoffs where 5 months was too much time off, probably didn't take it seriously, and does even worse in the playoffs.

He's toast. In 82 games, you're looking at getting a possible 20-30 games of offensive impact. Not good enough. Let him steal icetime elsewhere.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017

Look at how he started with LA - 7 points in the first 8 games. Then 2 points in his next 9.

He gets bought out and has time to rest. Signs with the Habs. 10 points in first 12 games. Then 3 points in his next 10 (1 in the last 7 games).

Goes to Washington. Only gets points in 2 of the last 7 games of the season. Add the playoffs where 5 months was too much time off, probably didn't take it seriously, and does even worse in the playoffs.

He's toast. In 82 games, you're looking at getting a possible 20-30 games of offensive impact. Not good enough. Let him steal icetime elsewhere.
Indeed id rather have Lekhonen whos good both side and can still end up with the same amount of point thant Kovalchuk.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

You are right, but 20-30 games of offensive impact is still 20-30 more than a guy like Weal. That being said, he should be the absolute last option in terms of adding a forward for this team.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You are right, but 20-30 games of offensive impact is still 20-30 more than a guy like Weal. That being said, he should be the absolute last option in terms of adding a forward for this team.

I don't like Weal, I don't want him on the team. But if they force feed him 20+ mins a game like they were doing with Kovalchuk, he'd probably get 40 points. So I don't really know if there's much of a difference.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Semin 2.0 .

Kovalchuk was signed by habs because we had like 5 injuries on the wings. 2 months of Kovalchuk not playing because nobody wanted him in the league until habs called him. Now for some reason hes second line material.

This forum has lost it. They don't know whats skills anymore

Like Kovalchuk would outscore Domi Drouin Gallagher Tatar and Armia on wings. Ridic.
yet if he is signed at 1.5 million, that almost free on the cap and is same price if not less expenssive then a 4th line player.

So , to me its simple, a player that is good with the younger guys, has potential to still outproduce the price and worst cast can be waved for a mere cost of 500k on the cap. and he wants to be here at a time a younger Russian is joining the team .

It is a no brainer for me, as i sure would like kovy a hard working family man guiding a young romanov, instead of others that guided Alex G straight into white lines.

Reactions: dralaf

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
yet if he is signed at 1.5 million, that almost free on the cap and is same price if not less expenssive then a 4th line player.

So , to me its simple, a player that is good with the younger guys, has potential to still outproduce the price and worst cast can be waved for a mere cost of 500k on the cap. and he wants to be here at a time a younger Russian is joining the team .

It is a no brainer for me, as i sure would like kovy a hard working family man guiding a young romanov, instead of others that guided Alex G straight into white lines.
Patrick marleau is a good family man too. Let’s offer another useless veteran a contract

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't like Weal, I don't want him on the team. But if they force feed him 20+ mins a game like they were doing with Kovalchuk, he'd probably get 40 points. So I don't really know if there's much of a difference.
Koavlchuk still has a shot though, something Weal or any other winger besides Tatar(and maybe Armia when he is hot) don't have. I don't see Weal producing regardless of ice time, he's really bad. Even if the difference is small, at least Kovalchuk has some size and like I said, a shot. We have like 12 Weal-style players who are better at the things he brings, I don't see anyone besides the 2 wingers I mentioned bringing what Kovalchuk brings.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Patrick marleau is a good family man too. Let’s offer another useless veteran a contract
Last i heard he is not russian . Except if his real name is vladimir marleov.
I am of the strong belief , if he is signed here, it is simply to be around Romanov and make him feel more at home.
I will certainly not criticise such a move. I had the fortune /misfortune of living for many years in a building that housed canadian players in the old port.
I can safely say , the team had failed badly surrounding some young players.
2 of those were Kamisarek, and Higgins, who lived a few doors from me. All i can say i never wonder why they never reached their initial promise.
For every bad ones though was a good one, as Mike Cammalleri and his girlfriend also lived on the same floor , and it was easy to see how a complete respectable professional he was and how seriously he took his job

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Money vs. health & production.

Frankly, you want to move him before all of his value is gone. He has another injury riddled season, at his age and history? You won't get anything for him, at all, and his cap hit isn't really good for a bottom 6 guy.
Let's be honest though, do you think his value at the moment is anything more than like a 4th round pick or a J. Olofsson type of prospect? I doubt it given how little value a guy like Bjugstad had. In my opinion, this is one of those rare occasions where a guy like Byron is more valuable to keep right now than whatever we'd get for him. He does have 3 seasons remaining on his contract but I could see him getting some super value a year from now if we retain his salary (esp if TB wins the cup based on their Coleman and Goodrow acquisitions who I consider to be somewhat similar in terms of caliber/depth). That being said, I do get where you're coming from, we've been burned before with guys like Moen and Darche when we decided to keep them for a similar reasoning as the one I provided at the start of my post and they either ended up getting hurt (Moen in 2012) or declining big time. Even then, I'd rather trade Drouin/Domi (for the right value obviously) then get rid of Byron for a subpar return to clear cap or make a move for the sake of making a move.

Reactions: tazsub3

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Let's be honest though, do you think his value at the moment is anything more than like a 4th round pick or a J. Olofsson type of prospect? I doubt it given how little value a guy like Bjugstad had. In my opinion, this is one of those rare occasions where a guy like Byron is more valuable to keep right now than whatever we'd get for him. He does have 3 seasons remaining on his contract but I could see him getting some super value a year from now if we retain his salary (esp if TB wins the cup based on their Coleman and Goodrow acquisitions who I consider to be somewhat similar in terms of caliber/depth). That being said, I do get where you're coming from, we've been burned before with guys like Moen and Darche when we decided to keep them for a similar reasoning as the one I provided at the start of my post and they either ended up getting hurt (Moen in 2012) or declining big time. Even then, I'd rather trade Drouin/Domi (for the right value obviously) then get rid of Byron for a subpar return to clear cap or make a move for the sake of making a move.

Depends on how many real dollars are owed, but his value right now isn't very good but it goes up at the deadline because he's the type of player that teams will want to bring on for a cup run. He still would have some value, probably in the range of a 3rd round pick.. but another injury riddled season with a lack of production and it's gonna be an anchor we have to deal with.

The ideal time was when he was a pending UFA and we were missing the play-offs. That deadline teams were giving out draft picks like candy and a Byron on a pending UFA as a pure rental? That would have been gold at the time.. but this Bergevin, who values his own draft picks and his "finds" too much and refuses to give them up.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017

ah yes now we have to sign Kovalchuk to guide the young Romanov. Holy terrible argument , Weber and Petry can do that better than Kovalchuk since atleast they are f***ing D-mans . Im pretty sure Kovalchuk is far from known to have elite defensive plays which would probably put Kovalchuk as the same lvl as Drouin defensively.

The arugments in this board to sign useless players are beyond imagination , another proof that fans on this team fall in love for absolutely nothing because he had a good 9 games stretch in the last 100.

Id rather waste 2 2nds and take a chance on Poolparty than giving 1.5m to a washed up russian whos 37.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Id rather waste 2 2nds and take a chance on Poolparty than giving 1.5m to a washed up russian whos 37.

The purpose of signing Kovalchuk is to try and scramble for 8th place. It's an extremely low ambition move, but maybe this year Bergevin will hit a hole-in-one by trading Kovalchuk for a 5th rounder at the deadline.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
The purpose of signing Kovalchuk is to try and scramble for 8th place. It's an extremely low ambition move, but maybe this year Bergevin will hit a hole-in-one by trading Kovalchuk for a 5th rounder at the deadline.
Then he will pass for a genius cause he got a 5th round :laugh::laugh:

Legit if we need size and someone with a shot id do 2nd + 4th for pool party. Hes a winger with potential. If we wanna hit this road id rather go younger.

Reactions: DAChampion

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Horrendous

LMAO.

Lars Eller had 1 goal in his last 14 games and the same amount of points as Kovalchuk over his last 15 games.

Therefore, by your stupid logic, he's useless. Oh wait, because he's 31, he's not 36. lol.

Trying to have a logical conversation with you is a waste of time. You'll just keep pulling small sample sizes out, applying double standards to one player and not another, citing goal totals while ignoring assists when it's convenient, etc...

Total waste of time. Just spouting stupidity. I'll move on to more interesting conversations about the issues. Next.

Reactions: tazsub3

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
LMAO.

Lars Eller had 1 goal in his last 14 games and the same amount of points as Kovalchuk over his last 15 games.

Therefore, by your stupid logic, he's useless. Oh wait, because he's 31, he's not 36. lol.

Trying to have a logical conversation with you is a waste of time. You'll just keep pulling small sample sizes out, applying double standards to one player and not another, citing goal totals while ignoring assists when it's convenient, etc...

Total waste of time. Just spouting stupidity. I'll move on to more interesting conversations about the issues. Next.
Difference is Eller is known for is 200 feet game , Kovalchuk main production are points.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
LMAO.

Lol this is just idiotic. You’re like the only one who wants him and you’ll say anything to fit your narrative. Kovalchuk is useless. He will not be signed by anyone
And using Ellet and and backstrom , 2 guy who have produced in the NHL In the last 7 years is completely idiotic
might as well say Kovalchuk is as good as mark stone cuz he struggled in the playoffs as well. Dumb dumb dumb

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I can't stand any more of Byron and Lehkonen with Suzuki and KK.

I just can't stomach it. It makes my stomach turn when I'm trying to relax and watch a hockey game.

You definitely may be right in your PROJECTION of what Kovalchuk will do. No question about it. But I'll take my chances that he'll be better. Better that than what we know is absolute offensive horseshit in Lehkonen and Byron.

We have no cap space left once we sign Domi or trade him for a replacement and sign our other RFA's to fill out the roster. Trust me, there's a high probability Tatar and Gallagher will be back with Danault under Julien. He switched them for a couple games, but then switched them right back in the Flyers series.

That means we currently have Drouin, Armia, Domi (or his replacement) and Lehkonen or Byron as KK and Suzki's wingers. And we have no cap space. I'll take Kovalchuk over Lehkonen and Byron, and wouldn't at all be surprised if he does more for KK and Suzuki than Domi on the wing, tunnel vision Armia, and show up then disappear for 27 games Drouin.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Difference is Eller is known for is 200 feet game , Kovalchuk main production are points.

That and Eller makes 4 million and Kovalchuk will probably sign for close to 1M - and we have no cap space. Zero, zilch, now that MB spent 8 million on a backup goalie and a 4/5 dman.

Sure there a tones of wingers I'd take at 4 million dollars over Kovalchuk. But we don't have the cap space to sign them! Thanks Marc!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
LMAO.

Honestly, if the Habs had a better GM I'd be fine with signing Kovalchuk for 1 year, 1.5 million/year. He could play 10-12 minutes a game on the bottom six, maybe second unit PP and maybe move up a little if there are multiple injuries, otherwise he could play with Jake Evans, Ryan Poehling, etc.

But this is Bergevin and he's in love with depth moves and bargains such as Drewiske, King, Ott, Martinson, Logan Shaw, megacontracts for Byron, etc. I'm afraid, and I think that other posters are afraid, that Bergevin is going to sign Allen, Edmundson, Kovalchuk, resign Domi, draft all 31 players in the 6th round, and call it a day.

And you know those aren't awful acquisitions. They're fine. But they're not what the Habs need. They need a very high quality player like Laine or OEL. They need a game breaker. The Habs should offer Caulfield, Domi, a 1st, and Mete for Laine. Something like that. Try abd really build the team, not just compete for 8th place.

Reactions: 26Mats

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
ah yes now we have to sign Kovalchuk to guide the young Romanov. Holy terrible argument , Weber and Petry can do that better than Kovalchuk since atleast they are f***ing D-mans . Im pretty sure Kovalchuk is far from known to have elite defensive plays which would probably put Kovalchuk as the same lvl as Drouin defensively.

The arugments in this board to sign useless players are beyond imagination , another proof that fans on this team fall in love for absolutely nothing because he had a good 9 games stretch in the last 100.

I agree with everything you have said here about Kovalchuk, he is finished at the NHL level, he was a goal scorer and he is not that anymore. The NHL game is too fast for him at his age and conditioning, he is better suited to play back home in the Russian version of the AHL

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

So by your genius logic, they're all useless? Or do you just apply your double standard to Kovalchuk??

Our biggest weakness is goalscoring. Kovalchuk doesn't really fix that. We have two spots left (1 if we keep Domi) on the forward group and you want to spend it on not fixing the main weakness of our forward group?

MB needs to get a goalscorer (as in 25+ goal kinda guy) for 2nd RW. Also sign a good 4th line RW who's big and can somewhat contribute offensively (Maroon, Pitlick, Hathaway). Trade Domi for prospects/picks (or that 2nd RW) or package him with Mete for an upgrade on Chiarot/Edmundson in the top4 (or that 2nd RW).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->