WJC: 2020 IIHF WM U20 D1B in Kiev, Ukraine (12.12-18.2019)

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This is actually going to be a really interesting division, pretty much anyone can beat anyone. If Kombe is indeed attending I don't see Estonians getting relegated either. I think it's finally Italy's turn. Their 9 lives ran out.

It would be really interesting to hear what you guys think.

To me, other than France having an edge on everybody, the rest of the division is pretty damn tight. Hungary isn't impressive at all and Papp isn't attending, Poland looks pretty good, a strong generation but aren't quite on par with France. These Ukrainian boys too have proved to be pretty capable and they will have a great 1st line.

France
Poland
Ukraine/Hungary
Estonia
Italy

Sounds about right? With Kombe Estonia can bite into Ukraine/Hungary as well, without him though they would just have to grind out a win against Italy.

Also who is this Rene Deluca? Stephan's brother?

Last edited:

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
In unrelated news, Siim Liivik has also been playing with the Estonian Senior national team. If they could get Erik Embrich as well, they'd have a real roster.

This should be Estonia's U20 roster. Again, Kombe is listed. We'll see.
Eesti U20 jäähokikoondise koosseis algavateks maailmameistrivõistlusteks Kiievis — Eesti Jäähokiliit

As far as the U20, I don't know if Maverick has the original format link?

On this list (in the link) there are 13 forwards and 7 d's which means Kombe is in. He even got A as reward for his dedication to Estonian NT's so far...

Reactions: kabidjan18

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Interesting to see the towering figure of Artur Cholach being there for Ukraine. He together with Gordei Maslov were pulled out of nowhere by CSKA scouts couple of seasons ago, so I naturally assumed that they are lost as far as Ukrainian national team is concerned. Glad to be wrong about at least one of them. Overall the situation looks pretty bleak for coming years after current 00' born kids will be too old to play there are nobody really in the pipeline to replace them.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Looks like the stream will only be available for the evening game. Seriously Ukraine?

tornaado66

Dec 12, 2019
Tallinn, Estonia
This is actually going to be a really interesting division, pretty much anyone can beat anyone. If Kombe is indeed attending I don't see Estonians getting relegated either. I think it's finally Italy's turn. Their 9 lives ran out.

It would be really interesting to hear what you guys think.

To me, other than France having an edge on everybody, the rest of the division is pretty damn tight. Hungary isn't impressive at all and Papp isn't attending, Poland looks pretty good, a strong generation but aren't quite on par with France. These Ukrainian boys too have proved to be pretty capable and they will have a great 1st line.

France
Poland
Ukraine/Hungary
Estonia
Italy

Sounds about right? With Kombe Estonia can bite into Ukraine/Hungary as well, without him though they would just have to grind out a win against Italy.

Also who is this Rene Deluca? Stephan's brother?

One other notable mention is Klaus Jõgi who was picked up by Finnish national team, but eventually decided to play with his brother for Estonia. We have big hopes for both of them.

When it comes to wether Estonia is good I dont know. They had a really short camp and only one warm up game against TuTo(Jr. A Liiga) and lost 0:9. It was looking bad but maybe few days was enough to get going.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
10 goals on 20 shots by Poland midway though the second period. Honestly, it is displeasing to see such a disparity.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It seems like it and that sucks. Wonder what is the reason behind it.
I bet it's as simple as whoever organized the event is 50-year-old who gets lost in his smartphone and he/they didn't see streaming as a priority. If they know what that is at all. This being post-Soviet environment I wouldn't surprised at all.
When it comes to wether Estonia is good I dont know. They had a really short camp and only one warm up game against TuTo(Jr. A Liiga) and lost 0:9. It was looking bad but maybe few days was enough to get going.
Most of the teams are in the same boat though... They will also have France first which works in their favor - playing the least important game first.

Poland - Italy 15-3 :laugh:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I thought Estonia played a great game, all things considered. They managed to offer some resistance to the French 5 on 5 for most of the game and only lost that part 3-1. It took France like 3 minutes to get the empty-netter as well. At the same time, they have done some stupid stuff as well and were punished for it, this isn't the Estonian league, the guys you are against aren't quite pylons. Kombe was largely invisible.

Overall, they definitely have the chance here which is all you could ask from them. France looked more or less as expected, good but not invincible.

tornaado66

Dec 12, 2019
Tallinn, Estonia

They finally got the stream working after the 1st period.

Estonia down 3:0. Dont understand how.

Estonia is missing K.K.Jõgi, Kuivanen and Puzakov due to sickness or injury.

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
What a comeback and a vital victory for Estonia! Lodeikin is a beast so far.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, what a great win and looks like my guess was more or less correct. I think Italy still would have had a chance to survive if they got at least a point but now they are done.

Poland plays Hungary in the later game where Poland needs a win to stay in contention although their loss to Ukraine yesterday more or less doomed their chances.

Reactions: kabidjan18

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So it looks like after finishing 2nd for 4 years in a row Poles are looking at a 4th or even 5th place finish this year depending on their game against Estonia. They probably felt relieved about not having to worry about relegation after that 15-3 win and decided to mail it in the rest of the way :sarcasm:

Looking through the roster of this Hungarian team really didn't look that impressive but damn, as far as performance on the ice is concerned, I underrated them. These guys have lost to this Ukrainian team in the 2018 U18 championship.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad