WJC: 2020 IIHF WM U20 D1A in Minsk, BELARUS (9.12 - 15.12 2019)

Who will promote to the WJC top division?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I mean, this isn't even a contest between two teams. Those calls are ruining the game. p***y ass refs are the worst. Just let them play.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Also, the scorekeeper is doing a poor job. He gave Huber an assist on the first goal, though I don't think he actually got one, but didn't on the second goal, where he did, so that kinda evens out. But Senna Peeters also should have had an assist on the second goal and he didn't get one.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Not the way I'd prefer to win. I'm happy the boys will be happy, and especially some of them probably played in excess of 25 minutes so they really worked for it. But the game didn't play out in a very meaningful way. The call that led to the first goal was a mistake, I think. And the rest were very soft calls. I think smaller and weaker teams usually benefit from soft refs, and this was probably an extreme case of that.

Once I talk to the guys and hear how happy and excited they are, I'm sure I'll be happier too, but for now, the way this played out makes it harder to enjoy. And if I were latvian, I would be beside myself with rage.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Latvia 60 PIM
Austria 4 PIM

I don't know if someone wanted us to lose, but this wasn't a fair contest

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
Can't believe Austria is doing this without Rossi. He might get to play in the WJC after all...

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Sorry but the "slap" with the stick from that Latvia player was sick, he can be lucky that he didn't get a Game miss Penalty...
Just because there were a boatload of borderline calls going one way we somehow didn't deserve to get called on our penalties? Is that what you think I was saying?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Just because there were a boatload of borderline calls going one way we somehow didn't deserve to get called on our penalties? Is that what you think I was saying?
I think he's referring to the penalty with 2:30 left in the game. I also thought that was the least borderline penalty, it actually looked somewhat nasty. However, I kinda understand because the latvian players were probably so frustrated by that point from the ref's past performance.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Can't look past Slovenia. I've seen chokes bigger than this. Still gotta bring it home.

I think one good thing is that not only the first line should be able to score today. Slovenia is objectively smaller and slower than the teams we have already played. That will make it easier for Tim Harnisch to go on his solo runs. So in addition to the one line, I think Tim could also score.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
All hopes on a team that hasn't put more than 14 shots on goal in any of their previous four games... I hope Austria puts this one to bed early on and I don't have to suffer too much. :)

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
All hopes on a team that hasn't put more than 14 shots on goal in any of their previous four games... I hope Austria puts this one to bed early on and I don't have to suffer too much. :)
14 shots sounds rather optimistic. 0 (zero) after 20 minutes today.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Come on, kabidjan, let's not fool ourselves.

Congrats on the win and you actually have a very talented group of kids. At this rate Austria will overtake a few teams at the senior level too.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Come on, kabidjan, let's not fool ourselves.

Congrats on the win and you actually have a very talented group of kids. At this rate Austria will overtake a few teams at the senior level too.
In my dreams haha. We'll see. Top few players are pretty good.

Latvia is supposedly in your "down years" after a golden generation, and still dominated that game.

20 minutes left. Schmidt has been our best player and he will need to continue to be that.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
In my dreams haha. We'll see. Top few players are pretty good.

Latvia is supposedly in your "down years" after a golden generation, and still dominated that game.

20 minutes left. Schmidt has been our best player and he will need to continue to be that.
Looking at the Austrian hockey infrastructure and player base, you should be at the level of Denmark, Latvia or higher.

It shouldn't be too hard to overtake Norway, Belarus and France in the rankings in a few years time.

Any of these teams, including Latvia, would be ecstatic to have someone like Rossi or Baumgartner. Even Deniss Smirnovs made a big splash in the news back at home, and he's a year older and not quite as good as Baumgartner.

Reactions: kabidjan18

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Looking at the Austrian hockey infrastructure and player base, you should be at the level of Denmark, Latvia or higher.

It shouldn't be too hard to overtake Norway, Belarus and France in the rankings in a few years time.

Any of these teams, including Latvia, would be ecstatic to have someone like Rossi or Baumgartner. Even Deniss Smirnovs made a big splash in the news back at home, and he's a year older and not quite as good as Baumgartner.
You'll have Bluegers, Abols, Balcers, Girgensons and Dzierkals for many years. I'm still working on a way to deal with that, though I suspect there is none :laugh:

Thanks though. My heart...during that game. I'm young and yet I'm getting too old for these kinds of rodeos. The boys will celebrate this one.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Congrats Kabidjan! Hopefully this promotion will give Austrian youth hockey some deserved time in spotlight and spur on future progress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->