Red Sox/MLB 2020 Hot Stove VIII - Mookie and Price to the Dodgers ( developing )

Status
Not open for further replies.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
  • Some of the top outfield prospects in the 2020-21 international draft class are profiled by Baseball America’s Ben Badler, who also details which teams are expected to sign these players on July 2. The Reds, Pirates, Red Sox, and Rangers are all thought to have seven-figure bonuses lined up for four players from the Dominican Republic, though the Astros are reportedly ready to pay what may be the biggest bonus given to any player in the 2020-21 class — a deal in the neighborhood of $4MM to 21-year-old Cuban outfielder Pedro Leon. Because of his age, Leon is already eligible to sign, though he will wait until the opening of the next July 2 window because most teams have exhausted most or all of their funds from their 2019-20 international signing pools. The int’l market will take on added importance for the Astros over the next two years, as the club’s pipeline of top young talent will be limited after losing their top two picks in both the 2020 and 2021 amateur drafts as part of their punishment for the sign-stealing scandal.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

So Manfred (yes he works for the owners), is going to black ball Cohen from buying a team for not giving into the dumb shit damands of the Wilpons. The other owners should be shipping Wilpon to the curb. You don't get to sell your team and keep control. Absolutely idiotic shit.

Edit - for those who don't know. The Wilpons want to sell the team but keep control over it for 5 years. That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard and the fact the MLB and other MLB owners will side with that is embarrassing.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

So Manfred (yes he works for the owners), is going to black ball Cohen from buying a team for not giving into the dumb **** damands of the Wilpons. The other owners should be shipping Wilpon to the curb. You don't get to sell your team and keep control. Absolutely idiotic ****.

Edit - for those who don't know. The Wilpons want to sell the team but keep control over it for 5 years. That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard and the fact the MLB and other MLB owners will side with that is embarrassing.

Done with going to games to support them. My five games a year may not matter but I hope another five thousand fans do the same as me

Reactions: smithformeragent

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I don't understand why the Twins part of the deal would change. Trading Graterol for Maeda makes a lot more sense if they don't think Graterol's going to be a starter. Otherwise, that seems like a horrible deal for the Twins. Maeda's value isn't going to magically increase. If anything, the Dodgers would be responsible for making up whatever else Bloom wants.

Honestly, I'm here for the deal falling apart for two reasons:

(1) I didn't like the value and I don't think that's the best deal they could get
(2) it'd be hilarious to watch the baseball world burn down

Reactions: YouTakeTheVan

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Never expected it to fall through. Mookie means too much, but I don't think they'll get anything significant added

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
One thing I saw on graterol’s arm earlier is that the Sox do not think he can handle a starters workload in the near term. What that means to me is that there is a chance that changes down the line with a shoulder strengthening program

there’s also a chance his arm gets held together with chewing gum and rubber bands

Such is life when you have a 101 mph sinker and 90 mph slider I guess

Reactions: N o o d l e s

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah I’m wondering why it would be Minnesota that the Sox would be getting extra from.

Ideally (IF they feel they have to trade him), Verdugo + Downs/Ruiz/Gonsolin is what I’m hoping for. They can throw in Graterol too, sure, but the Red Sox need two high-end pieces, at minimum, for Mookie and Price @ 50% retained.

And I think I’m with some others here on the Verdugo incident. Doesn’t seem like he did anything other than (likely?) being a dumb, drunk, college kid. A mistake to just stand by? Sure, but I’m not sure it is something to derail him forever.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

So Manfred (yes he works for the owners), is going to black ball Cohen from buying a team for not giving into the dumb **** damands of the Wilpons. The other owners should be shipping Wilpon to the curb. You don't get to sell your team and keep control. Absolutely idiotic ****.

It is embarrassing indeed. The Wilpons are way over-leveraged and their demands are insane. The other owners should have stepped in and stopped the nonsense. The sale makes perfect sense for the Mets and for baseball.

Reactions: CDJ

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Yeah I’m wondering why it would be Minnesota that the Sox would be getting extra from.
Exactly.

The Red Sox want Verdugo and a near Major League ready SP with middle of the rotation upside. I doubt they care where the Dodgers get that pitcher from.

Edit: Maybe the deal is Betts and Price for Verdugo and Maeda, and the Red Sox are the ones flipping Maeda to Minnesota for Graterol???

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Exactly.

The Red Sox want Verdugo and a near Major League ready SP with middle of the rotation upside. I doubt they care where the Dodgers get that pitcher from.

Edit: Maybe the deal is Betts and Price for Verdugo and Maeda, and the Red Sox are the ones flipping Maeda to Minnesota for Graterol???

Yeah, it’s all a little strange and bewildering.

Like...if the Red Sox don’t value Graterol as a SP now, and they want a near-ML ready SP as part of the package, then...well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad