Red Sox/MLB 2020 Hot Stove VI - Fenway Sports Group now worth $6.6 BILLiON

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
WAR has no business being considered for something like the HOF. Complete nerd stat that means very little in actual ability to play the sport since it's subjective. UZR being part of it alone makes it useless, and in this case it's even more irrelevant since there is no UZR tallied for the catcher position, which absolutely impacts his overall WAR number.

Simmons WAR is significantly higher than Roy Campanella's....Tells you all you need to know about that stat

Reactions: LSCII

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
This is the issue I'm talking about right here. Evans should be in the HOF because they ****ed up and let a compiler like Baines in? No. Neither of those guys deserve the HOF. Both were good, but not great. You don't make it worse by lowering the standards because the voters ****ed up. This is why the line of demarcation for the watering down of the hall is and will always be Tony Perez. That guy only belongs in the HOF if he pays admission, but since he got in, a **** ton of other pedestrian players leveraged him being there to make a case for themselves.

That is definitely the bigger issue. It has become the Hall of Very Good. That being said, the big problem with Baines is that it was a bag job by Larussa and Reinsdorf to get him in. It sucks in this day and age, that you can still somehow sneak a guy in through the back door like that.

Reactions: LSCII

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Wish they had exit velocity when Simmons played. He'd hit the ball as hard as Jim Rice from left or right side.

But not a Hall of Famer in my mind.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I know we discussed moving Benintendi in August to fill their closer role, but here's a new rumor and it's far worse IMO, because this isn't about making the team better, but getting rid of more money so ownership makes more profit. It's along the lines of moving Mookie for prospects, and should never happen in Boston give this is a big market team. They can afford to be in the luxury tax, and quite frankly, they should be. It's insulting to see them ratchet up the price of tickets and cry poor in the next breath. Total joke.

You want to move a guy like AB to fill a hole elsewhere? Okay, I get it. You want to move him just to entice a team to eat salary for a bad signing the front office made? f*** YOU clown. Deal with your mistakes. Own them. Just don't think anyone is buying your crying poor routine like you can't afford to keep AB, Price, JDM, and Mookie. That's insulting as hell.

Rosenthal: Sox could attach Andrew Benintendi to Price, Eovaldi trades

Reactions: CDJ and Seidenbergy

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
but getting rid of more money so ownership makes more profit.

Rosenthal: Sox could attach Andrew Benintendi to Price, Eovaldi trades

Sorry, but it's always been beyond me why Henry gets so much flack from the fans. He's always been a very good owner who never shied away from spending to the limit. We've had the highest payroll in the game over the past couple of years, haven't we?

I can totally understand their desire to clear enough payroll to get under the threshold and reset the clock. The luxury tax penalties in the CBA were designed for the purpose to hurt offenders very bad.

As far as AB is concerned: You obviously wouldn't give him away, but if the right trade came along, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. I am not a huge fan of him. Fenway LF is the perfect a spot where you can stash a bad defender in order to get the bat in the line-up. If we were to get rid of JBJ or trade Mookie, we could put AB in CF or RF, but that remains to be seen. If it was up to me, I'd keep JBJ around. His defense should age gracefully.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sorry, but it's always been beyond me why Henry gets so much flack from the fans. He's always been a very good owner who never shied away from spending to the limit. We've had the highest payroll in the game over the past couple of years, haven't we?

I can totally understand their desire to clear enough payroll to get under the threshold and reset the clock. The luxury tax penalties in the CBA were designed for the purpose to hurt offenders very bad.

Wanting to reduce spending is one thing. Outright lying to the fan base that they can't afford to keep everyone is another. Take the Patriots for example. They have a budget that Kraft has them operate under. They don't spend crazy on most free agents or big names, but nobody gives them crap for it. The Sox go out and spend bad money, then cry poor afterwards, and that's the problem. Nobody in their right mind here insisted you wasted money bringing in Panda, yet here he was. Why? Because they wanted to make a splash. Same thing with Price. Nobody in the fan base insisted they sign him to the deal they did. You did that on your own. You wanted to have a buzz around the team. Now you want to give a way assets on the actual roster to get out from underneath your bad deal? Uh no. GFYS.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Wanting to reduce spending is one thing. Outright lying to the fan base that they can't afford to keep everyone is another. Take the Patriots for example. They have a budget that Kraft has them operate under. They don't spend crazy on most free agents or big names, but nobody gives them crap for it. The Sox go out and spend bad money, then cry poor afterwards, and that's the problem. Nobody in their right mind here insisted you wasted money bringing in Panda, yet here he was. Why? Because they wanted to make a splash. Same thing with Price. Nobody in the fan base insisted they sign him to the deal they did. You did that on your own. You wanted to have a buzz around the team. Now you want to give a way assets on the actual roster to get out from underneath your bad deal? Uh no. GFYS.

Well, getting Panda and Hanley and trying to make the team better has got to be a good thing, right? You could criticize them for going after the names they went after (Panda is a prime example) and how they spent the money, but their intentions were not wrong.

Every team works in circles, even the huge market New York Yankees. Look at their spending when they weren't contending a few years ago. They took a step back and went into re-tooling mode.

We will do the same: One step back to take two steps forward. When the Yanks eventually get Cole, it may not matter anyway next season. That's why it could make total sense to trade Mookie...even if we were willing to give him a record-breaking deal. We could still do that in free agency and get him back.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Strasburg is getting 7/245 from the Nats
Good for him to stay there.

Cole expects to decide this week too. This is great compared to last year when Harper and Machado dicked us around until February and screwed up the entire market.

Reactions: CDJ

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Wonder where Rendon goes now? I think I would’ve rather kept him than Strasburg if I were the Nats. A lot of money tied up in three pitchers (like Boston), but at least their trio is good and reliable.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Wonder where Rendon goes now? I think I would’ve rather kept him than Strasburg if I were the Nats. A lot of money tied up in three pitchers (like Boston), but at least their trio is good and reliable.

I saw scuttlebutt saying the Texas Rangers are big on Rendon

He is from Texas so and they have a need so that makes sense to me

Reactions: N o o d l e s

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
He was a catcher for the most part though.
Simmons was an outstanding catcher in the 70's and 80's.
Eight time all-star
A .285 career BA and 91 RBI average per season.
He could hit and had a great arm, threw out 34% of base runners, when stealing 20 bases a year was the norm.
I put him a notch below Johnny Bench, my all time best catcher.
I consider Simmons and Fisk to be very close. Fisk played a lot longer but had similar stats.
Simmons deserves to get in.

Reactions: LouJersey

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Pitching and defense wins World Series, not hitting.
The Nats made the right move keep Strasburg.
He was 6-0 in the post season, without him, they do not win the WS.
The difference between the Nats and the Sox is that their 3 starters are the best in baseball.
If Sale comes back to 95% of what he was ( not including last years numbers), our top 3 are somewhere between 8-10 in the majors in my opinion.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Cole is lights out, will get more money than Strasburg.
I say he gets 260M over 7 years.

I’m sure he’ll be great for the first two or three years of that contract too, would also be willing to bet my life that they would be paying a bum $35 million for at least a couple years of that. I’m not sure if a large free agent deal for a pitcher has ever really worked out

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Simmons was an outstanding catcher in the 70's and 80's.
Eight time all-star
A .285 career BA and 91 RBI average per season.
He could hit and had a great arm, threw out 34% of base runners, when stealing 20 bases a year was the norm.
I put him a notch below Johnny Bench, my all time best catcher.
I consider Simmons and Fisk to be very close. Fisk played a lot longer but had similar stats.
Simmons deserves to get in.

66 RBI average per season.

92 is his 162 game average

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The angels just attached their most recent 1st rounder to Cozart to get the Giants to take him

My money says they’re clearing room for a big Cole offer. Everything being equal Cole would go out west. Plus he’s already spurned the Yankees before so it wouldn’t be new territory for him

Still want the yanks to get him for 9/300 tho

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m Angels GM I throw the money at Rendon. You have

Trout
Rendon
Ohtani

I’d check out Price if I’m then and if he looks good get the Sox to take $5/6 M per year

do whet Texas did getting Lynn and Minor

Reactions: CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad