Red Sox/MLB 2020 Hot Stove VI - Fenway Sports Group now worth $6.6 BILLiON

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The baseball has been for the most part has been excellent I was talking more about the business part of it the Fenway game day experience feel's more like WWE than other teams in MLB. I enjoy traveling to other ballparks because it feels a lot more like your watching a baseball game and not a overproduced nesn show.

It’s not cheap but the other venues are worse Garden and Gillette are brutal. Sure it’s time to put Sweet Caroline to bed but your still watching the game in the same place as always.

And honestly you want a new stadium like they have in the Bronx where they fence off the good seats. You can’t walk down in the 9th inning of a blowout and sit behind the plate. You can at Fenway. You’ve never bought 10 dollar tickets found free street parking and not drank alcohol?

Devastated Baseball Tavern is closing getting a drink after for under 9 bucks isn’t happening anymore.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'm not sure JJ can be considered a weak link anymore - Once he yanked the keys from Harry the Bruins have been competitive save the Dave Lewis year.

He is pretty low on the list of reasons why this core has underachieved and only won once.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
AND THEY WANT TO CUT PAYROLL??????

Fenway Sports Group ranks third among richest sports conglomerates - The Boston Globe

From a humble $700 million purchase of the local baseball team 18 years ago, the ownership group of the Red Sox has mushroomed into a sports business worth $6.6 billion, according to a list compiled by Forbes.

Fenway Sports Group’s holdings place them third — globally — on the list of sports conglomerates, behind only Kroenke Sports ($8.4 billion) and Jerry Jones ($6.9 billion).

The bulk of FSG’s holdings center around the Red Sox, estimated by Forbes to be worth some $3.2 billion, and the Premier League’s Liverpool Football Club, which FSG purchased in 2010 for $487 million and is now estimated by Forbes to be worth $2.2 billion.

The other FSG properties that have contributed to the 843 percent increase in value include NESN, Roush Racing (NASCAR) and Fenway Sports Management.

John Henry, principal owner of FSG, also owns the Boston Globe.

Fenway Sports Group placed one ranking ahead of the Yankees’ group, Yankee Global Enterprises, which is tabbed at $6.1 billion, and the Kraft family, in eighth place at $4.5 billion.

Henry is doing all this for his love of the Red Sox unlike the Jacobs that are in it for the money LOLOL

Reactions: Scruffy

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Don Larsen, the journeyman pitcher who reached the heights of baseball glory in 1956 for the New York Yankees when he threw a perfect game and the only no-hitter in World Series history, died Wednesday night. He was 90.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Kevin Plawecki is gonna be the Sox backup catcher

Like most backup catchers, can’t hit w a good glove

Basically swapped backups with the Indians and got the better player w more control (imo)

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2020-1-2_15-9-52.png

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Schilling, Bonds, and Clemens are going to need to get higher than that to have a chance. The public ballots are always more likely to vote for the questionable candidates. The old timers who vote for no one (or at most 1 player) never release theirs. Hmm, I wonder why? :sarcasm:

Larry Walker is getting a last year of eligibility bump. He's a tough one for me. I'd say he belongs in the Hall of Very Good, but you look at some of the others guys to get in recently, and you think he's as deserving as them.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Kevin Plawecki is gonna be the Sox backup catcher

Like most backup catchers, can’t hit w a good glove

Basically swapped backups with the Indians and got the better player w more control (imo)

Sam Travis DFA’d to make room.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That better be a Lux-level prospect....maybe Dustin May.

That’s a ton of salary relief tho, they’d be able to do whatever they want at that point. Only costs the 2nd best player in baseball to do so!

Reactions: N o o d l e s

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gonsolin is an interesting guy...was mostly a shorter innings guy/reliever in college and early in his pro career. Took off after being moved to the rotation. Not a lot of miles on his arm but He’s also on the older side for a prospect

I prefer May to him myself but like you said, hes quality and he’s def a better arm than anything we have that’s close to the majors

Just noticed this but when I was a kid I bat-boyed the AA team they both played on. That was back when the drillers were Rockies property and had Tulo coming up. I was so nervous that Joe Koshansky was the only person I spoke to about anything. Nice guy. Hit bombs. Never got more than a cup of coffee

gonsolin kind of reminds me of clevinger- the stuff is premium and if they were two years younger they would have been top 20 prospects in the league. Clevinger dealt with injuries, and Gonsolin was a senior-sign I believe. Got $2500. It’s possible he goes down as one of the best senior-signs ever in this era, it’s tough to produce much out of those picks.

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Yankees Pitcher Domingo German suspended for the first 63 games of the 2020 season.

from espn.com:

New York Yankees pitcher Domingo German has been given an 81-game suspension for violating the MLB domestic violence policy, commissioner Rob Manfred announced Thursday.

German, who had already been placed on administrative leave for the final 18 games of the 2019 season, including nine postseason games, will sit out the first 63 games of the 2020 season.

German was put on administrative leave on Sept. 19 while MLB investigated alleged domestic violence involving his girlfriend, with whom he has at least one child.

"My office has completed its investigation into the allegations that Domingo German violated Major League Baseball's Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy," Manfred said in a statement. "Having reviewed all of the available evidence, I have concluded that Mr. German violated our Policy and that discipline is appropriate."

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I didn't think Bloom was going to trade him once he came to power. It made me think that the whole rumbling was planted as a way to ingratiate the new GM with Boston fans like he saved their fan favorite from being traded.

Hear nothing for weeks, and now it's picking up again. That's bad news.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If this stupid team trades Betts solely to dump salary, there's going to be hell to pay.

Just brutal.

if they do it like the Gonzalez/Beckett/Crawford trade it would be gross, they ended up getting prospects with good arms but major question marks and James loney

If they do it by getting a Dustin May that’s a little different in my eyes. Still isn’t ideal but at least they would be adding a guy that’s 22, had success in his first taste of the majors, and has front of the line stuff with far fewer questions than guys like de la Rosa (injuries, inconsistent 3rd pitch, command) and Webster (zero control/command)

May would have 6 years of control vs Mookie’s 1, and Price’s contract would be out the door. I almost want that so people can shut up about him and eck lol

I still prefer signing the 2nd best player in baseball to a record deal tho

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Also an interesting possibility:

deal Mookie + Price this year, get a prospect/player package back Headlined by one of those young pitchers the dodgers have, reset the luxury tax, then throw Mookie the biggest offer next offseason now that the luxury tax has been reset.

Btw the idea that price has negative value is absurd. If the Sox pay down about $10 mill of that $30 hes a market value pitcher who dominated the WS a year prior. The dodgers are about $37 mill under the luxury tax threshold and they will want to stay below that for this season so the math works out for both teams (I believe) if you pay down on Price or take one of their contracts like Pollock or Turner (less likely)

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->