2020 HFNHL Mock Draft - Lottery Edition

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Using the wonderful "Tankathon," I ran a simulated draft lottery for the HFNHL. This give us some fun results (non official) in order to create a 2020 Mock Draft for those who missed the playoffs.

1. Philadelphia Flyers (via Dallas Stars) - Alexis Lafreniere
Recently named as having the strongest prospect group in the HFNHL (according to the updated handbook), the last thing the league needs is for the Dallas Stars to win the draft lottery. Philadelphia, who acquired this selection in the famed Hischier for Elias Pettersson swap, get lucky here. This allows them to add the unanimous first choice in Lafreniere.

2. Detroit Red Wings - Quinton Byfield
This is a tough quandary for Zac Niece. He's obviously hoping to win the lottery to add Lafreniere, but should he lose, would it be better off for the organization for him to fall to fourth so that it makes more sense to add Jamie Drysdale, the young franchise defender the organization truly needs? Or would Niece have the huevos to pick Drysdale at #2? I think in this scenario, he sticks to the norm and adds the man child Byfield and worries about his defensive situation once his young players are ready to be impact HFNHL'ers.

3. Ottawa Senators (via Anaheim Ducks) - Tim Stutzle
At this point, the top 3 seem pretty set from a consensus standpoint. Ottawa, deemed as having the worst prospect pool in the HFNHL (in the aforementioned handbook), gets extremely lucky here as the Anaheim Ducks move from 14th to 3rd by winning a lottery spot. This pick was acquired in the John Tavares deal (that also brought Brady Tkachuk to Ottawa). Stutzle's skill and speed would be a great compliment to Tkachuk and his abrasive style.

4. New York Rangers - Marco Rossi
While I am not Rangers GM Sean Gaffney, I would have to believe that he hopes to acquire a top flight center with this high selection. As such, he grabs Marco Rossi from the Ottawa 67's, who is one of the most complete players available. If his development goes according to plan, he would likely be a very well rounded HFNHL player (in terms of SIM ratings).

5. Boston Bruins - Jamie Drysdale

Impressive at this year's WJC's as a draft eligible player, something that is very difficult to do, Drysdale has made himself the clear top defender available. Looking to continue to build up his future defensive unit, GM Rob K secures his services in hopes that he can a part of the franchise's turnaround. It would appear that Boston is headed towards a full rebuild and that the Jonathan Toews led wonder years are behind us.

6. Columbus Blue Jackets - Lucas Raymond
With such a strong and well rounded prospect pool, GM Douglas Emerson hopes to secure the prospect he sees as having the highest potential to be an impact player. In this scenario, it is Lucas Raymond. The dynamic Swedish forward can put the puck in the net and would fit in with some of the high quality playmakers in the Blue Jackets organization.

7. Edmonton Oilers - Jack Quinn

One of the most difficult GM's to pin down because he is confident in his assessments and is not afraid to "reach" on players. If there is a player inside the top 10 that fits GM Drew Niece it is Jack Quinn. Strong later riser, one of the top goal scorers available this year, and a kid who plays the game hard with a well rounded skill set. Truthfully, 7th isn't even much of a reach at this point, considering Quinn's amazing OHL season, even if it would surprise some to see him go before Holtz and Perfetti.

8. Toronto Maple Leafs - Alexander Holtz
Doing a good job to retool the Maple Leafs franchise, Brad Palmer has already amassed a strong group of prospect. In this scenario, he grabs Swedish forward Alexander Holtz. Holtz is a well rounded offensive player who does fit the MO of other players that he has targeted in his tenure.

9. Arizona Coyotes - Cole Perfetti
Never one to shy away from the OHL, GM Ryan is elated to see Perfetti fall to him at #9. While his skating ability is not quite as dynamic as you would like, he is one of the draft's most intelligent and creative players. His strong second half with Saginaw really helped him solidify his top 10 position. This would be a great add for the Coyotes organization.

10. St. Louis Blues - Jake Sanderson
Jake Sanderson just screams Nick Quain to me. The US NTDP defender and son of Geoff is one of the draft's premier skaters from the back-end. While some do question his high end offensive upside, his play down the stretch has convinced many that he can be a top pairing defender in the future. As such, he has moved into the top 10 on nearly all draft lists.

11. Montreal Canadiens - Yaroslav Askarov
Pekka Rinne is not going to last forever. Coming off a down year, Rinne appears to be staring down a decline. With the opportunity to draft a high end replacement, the Canadiens jump all over Askarov at #11. The Russian netminder didn't have the best World Juniors, but it is important to remember everything else that he has accomplished.

12. Calgary Flames - Anton Lundell
GM Matt Kershaw has had some great luck drafting Finnish players in recent years (who hasn't, as the nation has turned their program around), so targeting center Anton Lundell makes sense. Lundell had a terrific year offensively in Liiga, yet he seems to be thought of as possessing lower offensive upside. Sometimes players like Lundell get underrated because they don't have a dynamic skill set, yet remain effective.

13. Minnesota Wild (via Chicago Blackhawks) - Dawson Mercer

With back to back selections thanks to some shrewd trades, GM Hasnain Jessa uses the first one to select QMJHL power forward Dawson Mercer. Mercer is a standout below the hash marks and has the skill level to be a high level offensive player at the NHL level. He would be a strong add to the organization.

14. Minnesota Wild (via New Jersey Devils) - Noel Gunler
With Jessa possessing several first round selections this year, he can afford to take some chances at the draft. The first is on Swedish forward Noel Gunler. Blackballed slightly by the Swedish Hockey Federation, Gunler is a risky pick. But there is no question that he possesses among the highest offensive upside of any player available this year. He is a nice contract to the more safe Mercer chosen one selection before.

15. Philadelphia Flyers (via Washington Capitals) - Dylan Holloway

Every team needs players like Holloway. The Flyers young group is a talented one with an abundance of skill. Holloway would be a great add to bring a different element to the group. His skating ability, physicality, and two-way ability make him a potential stand out in all situations, despite the lower offensive production as a freshmen at Wisconsin. While I'm not entirely convinced that he is an Alvaro type selection, he would be sensible at the 15th spot.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I think that you forgot that after winning 2nd overall two years ago and 3rd overall last year, both from the 12 and 11 slot, I'm gonna win 1st overall this year.

Also, nicely done!!

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
If i lose first OV id likely trade down. To aquire more picks as i feel this is a pretty strong draft.

Also curious what the plan is for our draft given it could be awhile before the NHL league would be doing a lottery potentially

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
If i lose first OV id likely trade down. To aquire more picks as i feel this is a pretty strong draft.

Also curious what the plan is for our draft given it could be awhile before the NHL league would be doing a lottery potentially

Our draft will still follow the NHL lottery results, and as usual will take place just before the NHL draft. We won’t have any more details to offer until they either resume play and award the Cup, or cancel the season altogether, but be prepared to wait a few months...

Senators GM HFNHL

Jan 15, 2020
I love the breakdown of how the Senators get to pick three, but whomever I draft will not be pairing with Brady Tkachuk as he was moved to acquire Tomas Hertl. We will listen to offers on our pick.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Our draft will still follow the NHL lottery results, and as usual will take place just before the NHL draft. We won’t have any more details to offer until they either resume play and award the Cup, or cancel the season altogether, but be prepared to wait a few months...

I think we'll have a pretty good idea about the draft by mid May. By then they'll have to decide what their intentions are and we'll be another month into the virus and projections for North America will be more clear. Still so much up in the air.

I basically see two options playing out.

A) By mid May they decide that the regular season is not worth saving, they hold the lottery, then hold the draft via the interweb ALA the NFL.

B) They decide to postpone the Draft because they want to get the regular season in, set a date in September/October for it. If that's the case, we would have to decide when to do our draft and lottery. Could go a variety of different ways since our season really isn't dependent. That could include having our own lottery and having our draft late in the summer.

In other words, be prepared to draft anytime from June to October!

Reactions: Lord Stanley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->