OT: 2020 Football Thread: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The Giants defense looked good today. The offense, not so much.

This is not an 0-16 team though, and they are improving. Always good to see.
Agree with this sentiment.

The D played their asses off and got burned by a blown coverage. It happens. We still can't generate a pass rush to save our lives. Better QBs are still going to shred our D with all that time. Still, an admirable effort by a group largely without talent outside of DT, Martinez, and Bradberry.

The O, though, is friggin awful. I don't know how you even begin to fix it. Jones looks like he's regressed, our line disintegrates like wet tissue paper on passing downs, our WRs don't generate separation, and our marquee TE looks like he greases up his hands before each play.

Gettleman needs to go after this season. I actually like the Judge hire. I think Graham is doing a decent enough job with the pieces he has. Jury is still out on Garrett, but I feel like our play designs haven't been terrible. We just don't have the players to execute, and that's an indictment on the GM.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Agree with this sentiment.

The D played their asses off and got burned by a blown coverage. It happens. We still can't generate a pass rush to save our lives. Better QBs are still going to shred our D with all that time. Still, an admirable effort by a group largely without talent outside of DT, Martinez, and Bradberry.

IDK, i think that was a trap game for the Rams. When the worst team in the NFL record wise over the past three years is visiting you with a winless record, it’s not like there is much be pumped up for.

yes, the front seven played well yet this was the same front seven the Chicago Bears pushed back on simple inside runs.

Gettleman has done so little to help improve this roster. He’s been horrible.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Closets full of Seahawks jerseys (that one aggravated me the most having never before met a Seahawk fan then seeing a flood of those awful green jerseys everywhere) and Chief jerseys. Although, it’s probably not too far off the Cowboys/49er fans of yesteryear.

lol, yup. A lot of “always liked the Chiefs” out there with Mahomes the savior they’ve been looking for since his jersey may have been backordered.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Id sell my soul for Garrett to be OC of the Jets after the debacle of the Gase.

I just think both team are so devoid of talent that their QBs don’t have a chance to compete. The Giants have Vince Lombardi coaching compared to the Jets though.
What exactly has Joe Judge done to show he's any better than Gase?

TheTimTamSlammerMan

Jul 29, 2011
Long Island
The Giants don’t exactly have the greatest weapons, but they aren’t all trash or anything compared to what Darnold has to work with. An average QB wins the game last night. I’d say with a half decent QB, we win against the Bears and we’re 2-2. Two games without a touchdown is pathetic. And somehow our o-line was decent enough to make Donald look pedestrian. Gates ain’t too bad. I thought he was gonna get murdered after the “fight” with Donald, but he didn’t buckle.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
The Giants don’t exactly have the greatest weapons, but they aren’t all trash or anything compared to what Darnold has to work with. An average QB wins the game last night. I’d say with a half decent QB, we win against the Bears and we’re 2-2. Two games without a touchdown is pathetic. And somehow our o-line was decent enough to make Donald look pedestrian. Gates ain’t too bad. I thought he was gonna get murdered after the “fight” with Donald, but he didn’t buckle.

Giants at least have a semblance of hope under Judge.

Jets have none zippo nada under Gase....that's the difference.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
What exactly has Joe Judge done to show he's any better than Gase?

You mean in his four games as an NFL head coach?

He's shown to be an incredibly intelligent person who knows what he's talking about regarding the game of football. If we hired a new GM who was setting on interviewing new coaching candidates, I wouldn't be surprised if Judge won anyway because of how enthralling he sounds.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
As a Jets fan, the Giants at least are playing hard for their coach. They respect him and go out and do their best, even if they have some serious hole to fill in.

The Jets just lay eggs half the time and the other half is incompetence from their coaching staff. You can at least tell when the Giants begin getting those issues fixed, Judge will have these guys playing for him.

Reactions: nyr2k2

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
As a Jets fan, the Giants at least are playing hard for their coach. They respect him and go out and do their best, even if they have some serious hole to fill in.

The Jets just lay eggs half the time and the other half is incompetence from their coaching staff. You can at least tell when the Giants begin getting those issues fixed, Judge will have these guys playing for him.

Except against the Niners where they seemed to have some unearned arrogance about them (Giants).

Reactions: JimmyG89

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Yeah. The Jets weren't even in any of their first three. I mean they scored a TD in the final minute to make the Buffalo game "close" at a 10-point loss, but it wasn't until they played a terrible Denver team quarterbacked by their third-string QB that they were even able to remain in a game. The Giants at least managed to hang in there against two good teams in LA and Chicago. I mean 0-4 is 0-4, I get that, but there is something to be said for how you win or lose. The Jets are losing ugly--blown out by good and mediocre teams, losing in sloppy fashion to terrible teams. Gase sucks, Williams I think is a quality coach but even he can't mask the defensive deficiencies, and all together they're just terrible across the board.

If the Jets could even hang in there against a good team, that would be a win for them.

Reactions: JimmyG89

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Josh Allen and the Bills tells both the Giants and Jets all we need to know.

Bills have added talent and are winning with an emerging QB

Jets aren’t adding anything, losing and their QB is struggling

Giants are stuck in an endless loop of add one/subtract two or add two/subtract three while the yearly record gets worse and worse.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
yoU CanT firE A CoaCh in tHE miDDLE of The SEaSon
I guess the only upside to keeping him is if probably gives you your best bet at the top pick. Whoever hasn't quit on him will very soon.

The downside is that Darnold's ruination will be complete, if it isn't already.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Gase has done more to prove he’s not successful as a head.
Definitely true.
Giants at least have a semblance of hope under Judge.

Jets have none zippo nada under Gase....that's the difference.
Do they? The NFC East has a combined record of 2-11-1 outside the division yet the Giants are in last place. The Giants have scored the fewest points in the NFL by a large margin. The giants have a comically bad point differential of -49 (what does that say about the Jets' -66 though). The Giants look much worse than they did last year. At least the Jets are consistently bad.

You mean in his four games as an NFL head coach?

He's shown to be an incredibly intelligent person who knows what he's talking about regarding the game of football. If we hired a new GM who was setting on interviewing new coaching candidates, I wouldn't be surprised if Judge won anyway because of how enthralling he sounds.
The big difference from what I can tell is that everyone seemed to like the Judge hiring but everyone seemed to hate the Gase hiring which seems to me to be coloring people's opinions of the 2. If you think Judge is that smart, how much time do you give him to apply that to performance on the field?

Gase has the bar so low that I think it’s moreso that you have to prove you’re as bad as Gase
Can't disagree with this either.
There's no coach in any sport ever that you can say he's as bad as Gase after 4 games, especially with the shitty talent Judge has.
I forgot about all the all-pros on the Jets. :skeptic:

Somehow Gase outlasted O'Brien

Isn't he the most accomplished member of the Belichick coaching tree (in the NFL at least)?

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
Gonna be 4 years in a row with 2 wins or less at the halfway mark for our NYG. Have to try hard to be that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->