The Dog

DBB67123-51C0-4AF7-921C-A6B3A2D6A85D.gif

Numbah one

Reactions: Maximus

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I gotta say as a giants fan I watch darnold and to me he’s got it all. Except a team around him. He’s a heck of a talent. And he doesn’t make the bonehead mistakes that Jones does.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I gotta say as a giants fan I watch darnold and to me he’s got it all. Except a team around him. He’s a heck of a talent. And he doesn’t make the bonehead mistakes that Jones does.

He makes plenty of mistakes though not as many as Jones, but I haven't seen Darnold ever play as well as his did in a handful of game last year. This year Jones has sucked though.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I think it's incredibly hard to evaluate both of the NY QBs when they're running for their lives all game.

I watch the Jets more than the Giants so maybe I'm wrong on the Giants/Jones, but Darnold is turned out of the pocket immediately. The fact his receivers suck mean they can't get separation quick enough to run a quick hit playbook. They just blow through the right side of hte line, and he's running left trying to throw against his body all game. It's not gonna work.

I don't know what Darnold is. Unfortunately this season isn't going to help that evaluation.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Well no one ever accused me of knowing what I’m talking about when it comes to football. I’ll stick to hockey :laugh:

Pretty funny comment. I've read your stuff on football and you know your shit. You were just wrong about Darnold not having skill or talent and so it needed to be pointed out that's all.

So keep on talking football cause who knows when hockey is going to start again....lol

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I think it's incredibly hard to evaluate both of the NY QBs when they're running for their lives all game.

I watch the Jets more than the Giants so maybe I'm wrong on the Giants/Jones, but Darnold is turned out of the pocket immediately. The fact his receivers suck mean they can't get separation quick enough to run a quick hit playbook. They just blow through the right side of hte line, and he's running left trying to throw against his body all game. It's not gonna work.

I don't know what Darnold is. Unfortunately this season isn't going to help that evaluation.

The tragedy here is as I said earlier, forget this season, Darnold emerging and showing us all what he can really do unfortunately very very likely will never happen here. And that gets me so friggen angry cause the guy has a ton of talent and he has all the tools to be a franchise QB.

Everything and I do mean everything one can possibly think of has conspired against him whether it be injuries to his WR's, RB's, O-lineman, piss poor coaching from either OC and HC. I mean it's truly incredible the hand this guy has been dealt since being drafted just 3 years ago.

It sucks but it's pretty much written in stone now that due to ineptitude and simply bad f'n luck, when Sam becomes the Darnold who was supposed to be the best QB coming out of that 2017 class, it's going to be with another team.....argggggggg!!

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Darnold has all the talent to be a star. They need to give him a competent offensive coordinator, some actual weapons at WR, and stabilize the line. If they fail at any of those Darnold will be done.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
If they get #1 (we know the Giants will be giving them a legit run at it), I'm fully on board with moving down and scooping tons of picks. If Jacksonville is game, they have all the pieces needed. They have two 1sts and two 2nds in this draft. Their 1st will be a high 1st. It could be a small move down, get both their 1sts and maybe even both 2nds (I would be willing to take 1 of them) and they get their QB while the Jets get all the picks in the world needed to inject some talent on this roster.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The thing with Darnold is that he was prone to turnovers in college. He had 22 interceptions in 27 starts. This isn’t something that just magically started because Jets. There’s a reason he went from consensus #1 pick the year before to being the second QB taken.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
The thing with Darnold is that he was prone to turnovers in college. He had 22 interceptions in 27 starts. This isn’t something that just magically started because Jets. There’s a reason he went from consensus #1 pick the year before to being the second QB taken.

Honestly, he was still the consensus #1 pick. Browns just decided to go slightly off-board with Mayfield.

Darnold has cleaned up the fumbling issue in the pros. I think I remember that being an issue at USC.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want

Bingo, he was prone to trying to do too much at USC. Throwing off his back foot, throwing across his body while running to the right, trying to extend a play and then getting sacked when he should just be throwing the ball away.

On the other hand, I can't fault him too much for it with how bad this Jets team is. He's trying to make something happen because he knows he'll be in the same position on the next passing play.

Honestly, he was still the consensus #1 pick. Browns just decided to go slightly off-board with Mayfield.

Darnold has cleaned up the fumbling issue in the pros. I think I remember that being an issue at USC.

Yep he has secured the ball much better in the pros.

It's sad for Jones because his GM has utterly failed him by not surrounding him with good personnel but at least he has Jason Garret who is a good OC. It's even worse for Darnold. He doesn't have the personnel nor the coaching. Brutal just brutal to be a NY football fan right now.

To all the youngins...this is what it felt like to be a Rangers fan from '97-2004.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
I highly suspect the reason I'm not too big into football is because the Jets are terrible and have always been terrible during my childhood, and thats one of the teams I was raised to root for. Wonder how many potential fans they've missed out on over the years by being such garbage.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Allow me to attempt to be "somewhat positive" in what is a shit show of a season here in Jetland. JoeDouglass got a 6 year deal and he knew the cupboard was bare. I recall thinking to myself why not go after and throw money on Jadeveon Clowney, Logan Ryan etc. Thankfully JD didn't seeing this season was destined to end up 5-11 or 6-10 tops anyways, especially considering the daunting schedule.

So JD did the right thing saving money, accumulating draft picks basically bottoming out!. All his signings this year are for most part one year deals. Even guys like Fant can be cut with very little dead money on the cap. We've got 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of next year's draft.

We have almost $100 mill in cap space for 2021 so lots of money to spend in FA. We also have thus far 2 more 1st round picks the year after next. I've mentioned this a bunch in here and it deserves repeating. Douglass cut his teeth under very strong mentors with SB titles on their resumes in Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore and Howie Roseman in Philly and it is known that Douglass played a big part behind the scenes of these SB victories with regards to talent evaluation is concerned.

I have complete confidence that Joe knows what he's doing. He brought in 10 O-lineman. I know this is incredibly frustrating but it's not like we aren't used to shitty football around here. What we are NOT used to is us having a GM with an actual plan.

As hard as it is to watch this team of ours on Sunday's, I'm going to continue to believe in this particular GM and hope that the 40th rebuild of my lifetime is finally the right one and so us knuckleheads need to show patience once again for the zillionth time as well.

I need to take a shower now that I got all this positivity out of my system as I almost feel dirty about it...lol

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
If Brees retires the Saints should move for Darnold. He can be good. Just not on the Jets. No one can do that.

Unfortunately you are correct and I've been saying this as well. Darnold will not reach his true potential here as we are ruining Sam with horrific coaching and just as horrific talent combined with simple incredibly bad luck which is par for the course here in Jetland!

I'll say it again as it also deserves repeating. If we had picked Mahomes a few years ago and put in the same situation as Sam with the same horrible coaching and talent around him, Mahomes might be out of the league making money as co-owner of a car wash....lol. Obviously kidding about that but you get the point.

The issues with the Jets go way way deeper than what new shiny QB we are putting under center.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
If they get #1 (we know the Giants will be giving them a legit run at it), I'm fully on board with moving down and scooping tons of picks. If Jacksonville is game, they have all the pieces needed. They have two 1sts and two 2nds in this draft. Their 1st will be a high 1st. It could be a small move down, get both their 1sts and maybe even both 2nds (I would be willing to take 1 of them) and they get their QB while the Jets get all the picks in the world needed to inject some talent on this roster.

I said a few weeks ago here I wouldn't be adverse to this before being shot down by my friends in here as being "nuts" and that you have to take Lawrence because he's the "next John Elway" or something to that effect.

Seriously, I mentioned it would take the motherload...an "RG3" type deal and a massive overpayment in order for me to trade the pick if I'm Joe Douglass but the Jets need so many pieces in order to become even competitive ,let alone a winning team, I do believe you have to consider it if and when the Jets get the #1 overall.

BTW: I still think there would be a very good chance as in better than 50/50 that even if we got the #1 overall, Lawrence might be so spooked at what the Jets did to Darnold and even Sanchez, that he might just either stay in school ala Peyton Manning back in 1997 when Jets had #1 overall or he might come out and tell Jets if they draft him ala Eli Manning back in 2004 that he'll hold out and force the Jets to deal him lessoning the chances the Jets could get the motherload seeing Lawrence would be holding all the cards rather than the Jets.

I hate to say it but I truly do believe this scenario is extremely possible as this is the Jets we are talking about!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad