OT: 2020 Football Thread: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
That chiefs game had me f***ing sweating more than the SB

Butker is nuts
Chiefs got a bit lucky that they got a chance to tie it with a 2 point conversion. They still might have won but it they would have needed to go for a TD on the last play rather than a FG.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Chiefs got a bit lucky that they got a chance to tie it with a 2 point conversion. They still might have won but it they would have needed to go for a TD on the last play rather than a FG.
The chargers got lucky on several plays with calls in their favor including an obvious false start on 4th and 1 that didn’t get called on LA, and a missed head shot on Watkins

I’d say it evened out

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Jackson needs an offensive coordinator like Greg Roman that creates a system for him that he works in well. He would be a scrub here. And he was never considered #2 overall good, this is Monday morning QB.

I went to the movies that night and was like "Jackson is going to slip to round 2" and then Baltimore traded up (I hate that franchise). I was definitely upset.

I've been a Giants fan for over 30 years and even as a kid I used to joke with my uncle "When are the Giants going to get a QB like Randal Cunningham?"

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I did see something in the Giants I haven't seen in years yesterday.

When Jones slid and the Bear d-back dropped to give him a shot (he did pull off and mostly missed Jones, Giants got a break on the call), #75 got into the Bear player's face and the Giant o-line responded. That's just something that hasn't been there in ages.

Barkley's ACL, reason #35464 you don't draft a RB early.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I did see something in the Giants I haven't seen in years yesterday.

When Jones slid and the Bear d-back dropped to give him a shot (he did pull off and mostly missed Jones, Giants got a break on the call), #75 got into the Bear player's face and the Giant o-line responded. That's just something that hasn't been there in ages.

Barkley's ACL, reason #35464 you don't draft a RB early.
There's plenty of reasons not to draft a RB early but any player can tear an ACL on that kind of play.

Reactions: JCProdigy and RGY

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Too bad Douglass for the most part got his GM gig with the Jets due in large part to the advice of Gase to Chris Johnson, cause if it hadn't played out that way and due to Douglass's perceived loyalty to him, I do believe Douglass would be seriously thinking of sending Gase on his merry way right this very second and letting Greg Williams run the team the rest of the way.

However, seeing that for a HC, it doesn't get much worse than to get fired during the season which could in turn effect for example Gase's not getting even another assistant coaching gig with another team for awhile, I have no doubt Douglass is going to wait till end of the season before letting Gase go so Gase can leave with whatever "dignity" a fired coach can muster up.

There is no doubt tho that Gase is dead man walking and despite what I just said, if the Jets somehow get off to a 1-9 starts which is possible considering the lack of talent on this team, maybe just maybe Douglass will have to tell Gase that despite his help getting him the GM job, he's gotta let him go.

Bottom line: What a f'n shit show once again here in Jetland....unfriggenreal. Other than when Jets drafted John Riggins in 1971 when I truly became a fan(yes I missed out on the '69 SB as was to young to recall it...my bad luck) till 1981 while I was in college, when Richard Todd was "God" and the NY Sack Exchange was born and the Jets made the playoffs for 1st time since 1970, these last 10 years is the longest sustained amount of suckage that I've ever experienced as a fan of this godforsaken cursed team.

And what's worse is unless everything goes right in Douglass's rebuild, and listen I do trust this guy, but unless everything goes right, it's not going to be for another 2 and likely 3 years till the Jets can even be competitive again let alone a winning team. Just mind boggling how inept this franchise has been over the years and continues to be.... it really is.

OK rant over....uggggggg!!!

Last edited:

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
There is no doubt tho that Gase is dead man walking and despite what I just said, if the Jets somehow get off to a 1-9 starts which is possible considering the lack of talent on this team, maybe just maybe Douglass will have to tell Gase that despite his help getting him the GM job, he's gotta let him go.

Gase is going to need wins before their bye week. Multiple wins. I cannot see him being around with another start like last season. The OL is better and Darnold is in there for these first bunch of games. No excuses.

Now, I did not expect them to win either of these games. The Bills are good and the 49ers won the NFC last season, but at least look like the Dolphins did against the Bills. They kept it close the entire game. The 49ers were missing their best defensive player at the beginning of the game, their best corner, and on top of all of that, lost their RB1 and QB DURING this game. Were never in it. The Colts are going to massare them too and they haven't done anything to tell me they will except they are playing the Jets.

Honestly, if they cannot beat Jeff Driskol and the Broncos in two weeks, he should be fired on the spot. Possibly no Coutland Sutton with multiple injuries. Jeudy got hurt last game. This cannot last longer because the coach is not putting guys in spots to be successful.

And what's worse is unless everything goes right in Douglass's rebuild, and listen I do trust this guy, but unless everything goes right, it's not going to be for another 2 and likely 3 years till the Jets can even be competitive again let alone a winning team. Just mind boggling how inept this franchise has been over the years and continues to be.... it really is.

I like what Douglass has done. Need work on the interior line still, but the tackles have been good. Becton looks great. I want to see Mims soon, but the second that Adams was dealt and Mosley opted out, they punted on the season being anything remotely successful.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
It really is crazy how many holes this Jets roster has.

We have no edge rushers, no cornerbacks, no weapons whatsoever (maybe Mims will become one-- but still obviously unproven), very mediocre interior o-line, and mediocre ILBs long-term (we'll have Mosley back next year, but he'll be two years withdrawn from playing, and we'll likely cut him as soon as feasible).

Not to mention, we'll also probably be drafting a QB again if we're picking #1.

Small bright sides- Becton looks really, really good and Quinnen has had a good start to the season. We'll have two 1st rounders this year, an extra 3rd this year, and an extra first the following year. And a lot of cap space.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

We have no edge rushers, no cornerbacks, no weapons whatsoever (maybe Mims will become one-- but still obviously unproven), very mediocre interior o-line, and mediocre ILBs long-term (we'll have Mosley back next year, but he'll be two years withdrawn from playing, and we'll likely cut him as soon as feasible).

Small bright sides- Becton looks really, really good and Quinnen has had a good start to the season. We'll have two 1st rounders this year, an extra 3rd this year, and an extra first the following year. And a lot of cap space.

agree with all of this. This really is an expected start for me. At least we seem to be proper tanking.

Gase sucks and needs to go. I like what Douglas has done so far and if he’s given a chance to build this org up, I have faith.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Honestly I love him but the giants have so many holes we’re just going to waste his prime years.

I’d trade Saquon for picks

giants need a top end pass rusher a top end corner a center (I like gates but he’s not a center) and a Big downfield WR threat.

And that’s assuming jones is the guy (which I’m not so sure of anymore watching him make the same mistakes he made as a rookie)

then maybe we can worry about a running back

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Gase is going to need wins before their bye week. Multiple wins. I cannot see him being around with another start like last season. The OL is better and Darnold is in there for these first bunch of games. No excuses.

Now, I did not expect them to win either of these games. The Bills are good and the 49ers won the NFC last season, but at least look like the Dolphins did against the Bills. They kept it close the entire game. The 49ers were missing their best defensive player at the beginning of the game, their best corner, and on top of all of that, lost their RB1 and QB DURING this game. Were never in it. The Colts are going to massare them too and they haven't done anything to tell me they will except they are playing the Jets.

Honestly, if they cannot beat Jeff Driskol and the Broncos in two weeks, he should be fired on the spot. Possibly no Coutland Sutton with multiple injuries. Jeudy got hurt last game. This cannot last longer because the coach is not putting guys in spots to be successful.

I like what Douglass has done. Need work on the interior line still, but the tackles have been good. Becton looks great. I want to see Mims soon, but the second that Adams was dealt and Mosley opted out, they punted on the season being anything remotely successful.

Think about this for a moment and let this really sink in not just you but any Jet fan. As I eluded to in my previous post, since 2011 till current day, the Jets have had ONE winning season...2015 and even that season which still boggles my mind as it came out of absolute nowhere as Fitzpatrick had to have made a deal with the devil that year he was so good until of course the last day of the season when he threw those 3 picks vs Rex and the Bills of course too keep us out of the playoffs.
But too my point if I'm correct that it will take Douglass another 2-3 years for the Jets to be competitive, forget winning franchise, just competive, it could also just as easily be another 5-6 years if like I said previously, his drafts and UFA signings don't pretty much all hit. Becton it looks like is a good start. We don't know about Mims yet as we can only cross our fingers. Ashtyn Davis has been "meh" so far but I have alot of hope for him still.

So we are looking at the very very real possibility of this team going from 2011 till 2022 in best case scenario or going from 2011 till 2026 in worst case, with this team having just ONE WINNING SEASON!!!. That is almost impossible too do in this day and age and yet we've somehow figured out a way to do it....absolutely incredible.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
BTW can anyone explain to me other than that Gase loves Frank Gore and who doesn't as he's apparently a great guy and a future hall of famer, but what possible reason could it be that Josh Adams and our new rookie Perine are not getting many more looks and carries?

I get that pass protection is very important as we need Sam to remain upright but I mean it makes no sense whatsoever to continue to run Gore into the middle of the line for his 3 yards a pop. Give these other backs more of a chance. Who knows maybe we can find another Johnny Hector with one of these guys.

Uggggg....this team and the friggen Mets simply drive me nuts. Its just past 11 AM and I'm already starting to think about when I can have a drink....lol

Reactions: JimmyG89

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
BTW can anyone explain to me other than that Gase loves Frank Gore and who doesn't as he's apparently a great guy and a future hall of famer, but what possible reason could it be that Josh Adams and our new rookie Perine are not getting many more looks and carries?

I get that pass protection is very important as we need Sam to remain upright but I mean it makes no sense whatsoever to continue to run Gore into the middle of the line for his 3 yards a pop. Give these other backs more of a chance. Who knows maybe we can find another Johnny Hector with one of these guys.

Uggggg....this team and the friggen Mets simply drive me nuts. Its just past 11 AM and I'm already starting to think about when I can have a drink....lol

Perine was hurt, so I can see easing him into a role, but Bell is going to be back at some point and he's going to get his snaps. I'm hopeful he will play more and Gore will play less. Adams has potential too. This is all on Gase. Tons of other young RBs are getting time on other teams. There is no excuse, other than injury to not play these guys.

It's going to be a long time before NY football is even watchable. Just going to watch RedZone the rest of the season. There is no reason to watch these games.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Perine was hurt, so I can see easing him into a role, but Bell is going to be back at some point and he's going to get his snaps. I'm hopeful he will play more and Gore will play less. Adams has potential too. This is all on Gase. Tons of other young RBs are getting time on other teams. There is no excuse, other than injury to not play these guys.

It's going to be a long time before NY football is even watchable. Just going to watch RedZone the rest of the season. There is no reason to watch these games.

Well that's the beauty of fantasy football and why it's one of the greatest inventions ever. And for us Jet fans, fantasy football serves as a reminder for us that participate in this addicting hobby, that there is some very good football being played. Unfortunately it just isn't on the Jets...lol

Quick story and it's kind of funny and sad at same time. I started doing fantasy football and hockey the same year...1998. The year after the Jets lost in the AFC title game to Denver we had our draft....actually we do an auction. That year I bought Vinny Testeverde for $26 out of the $300 cap we had which was a decent amount for a QB.

Not sure you recall but that Jet team was locked and loaded to not only make it back to the AFC title game but we were I believe the team to beat according to Vegas odds at the time. My fantasy team was also loaded that year and Parcells and Vinny were going to lead the Jets to the SB and my fantasy team to it's first ever title.

Well a funny thing happened as first game of the season at Giants Stadium...2nd play of the game vs the Patriots, Vinny fades back and with no one even close to him tears his Achilles tendon and both the Jets season and my fantasy team went down the drain pretty much before the season ever really began. That was about as devastated as I've ever felt as a Jet fan cause that Jet team to this day is the most talented and SB ready team we ever had. Vinny's injury tho ruined the dream and who knows if we'll ever get that close again tho those '09 and '10 Rexy Jets did make it to the AFC title games mostly due to the defense. The '98 team tho was lethal on offense and on defense...it had it all.

I made a vow to never draft a Jet ever again on my fantasy team and for 20+ years I've abided by that rule other than once where I had to draft Curtis Martin in 2002 as he was just too good to pass up. But since than I've never had a Jets on my team and it's not a coincidence I've enjoyed quite a bit of fantasy success and less agida....lol

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Surprised at how good Becton looks already. But yeah we have the worst roster in the NFL and we’re bottom 5 every year for a decade. What a disaster. Even the Devils have been better .

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Well my football season is over with hall of fame pass rusher out (acl) best receiver done (acl) and starting qb and starting CB out as well for 2-6 weeks. Hope hockey can start on time

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Now we have to stress out for a year about whether Saquon will ever be as good again as he was pre injury. And the kid's only 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad