2020 FA Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Honestly, I'd be slightly annoyed perhaps but I wouldn't go to the media about the great injustice that befell me.

And let's set the context properly. It would be like I've been busy, but I'm about to have no work at all and then my boss comes and says hey, you ****ed up this last project you did, we're going to need you to try again.

Let's do it properly then and say it's a long-planned vacation rather than a time you have no work at all, and you're the manager of a team, all of whom have also planned vacations and certainly have performed well above expectations and rightfully feel they've earned vacation time.

And then a corporate entity tells you that you need to cancel your vacation and those of several of your subordinates in order to work on a minor project that is a bit of a legacy commitment - which you know doesn't have a major impact on your business anymore - and could probably also be worked on at a different time.

It would certainly seem like taking a stand and fighting for yourself and your subordinates would not only be something you may passionately feel to be right, but would also be received in a highly positive manner among your subordinates. Perhaps even they'd see it as pretty much the definition of good team management, perhaps it'd further cement your place as someone who they can trust, someone who they know will go to bat for them with higher-ups.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Let's do it properly then and say it's a long-planned vacation rather than a time you have no work at all, and you're the manager of a team, all of whom have also planned vacations and certainly have performed well above expectations and rightfully feel they've earned vacation time.

And then a corporate entity tells you that you need to cancel your vacation and those of several of your subordinates in order to work on a minor project that is a bit of a legacy commitment - which you know doesn't have a major impact on your business anymore - and could probably also be worked on at a different time.

It would certainly seem like taking a stand and fighting for yourself and your subordinates would not only be something you may passionately feel to be right, but would also be received in a highly positive manner among your subordinates. Perhaps even they'd see it as pretty much the definition of good team management, perhaps it'd further cement your place as someone who they can trust, someone who they know will go to bat for them with higher-ups.
Well let's really do it properly then and say that my boss told me he wouldn't give my team any work during that time but my boss's boss made no such promise and he's giving me a legacy project that my team screwed up the first time we tried it, even though it really should have been a cakewalk, and now we have to do it again. And my boss's boss is making another team work on the project and that team was super busy already and was not going to get a break in work.

I would feel pretty silly complaining about having to do something because my team messed it up in the first place.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I dont know who the other team here in question is? Liverpool’s U23 team? Do you think they are
upset about having to play in a FA Cup tie at Anfield?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
But Shrewsbury play this match regardless of what Klopp and Liverpool do? If anything the use of the U23 would be reducing the difficulty of the match and thus increase the likelihood of getting another FA Cup tie in the next round.

The whole analogy fails there because Shrewsbury naturally look at it differently than Liverpool. For them, playing Liverpool at Anfield, indeed any FA Cup match, is a reward not 'added workload'. Both viewpoints make complete sense from their respective places. Both the perceived "magic" and actual financial benefit of these cup competitions increase as you go further down the pyramid. This imbalance has always been part of the open cup competitions. And it's only increased with the addition of more European games, other competitions and internationals.

That's why I only partially agree with Klopp - I understand why he's not happy about it, I understand why he'd rather send the reserves, but I do think there's a point to these competitions, and I do think he sometimes forgets how much any chance to play the 'big boys' would have mattered to him when he was at Mainz during their days of 2nd tier mediocrity. How the presence of teams like Liverpool and Arsenal in competitions such as the League Cup and FA Cup increases the value that smaller clubs can give their fans and ticket holders. I do believe he knows this as well, but sometimes just speaks very impulsively on the issue.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's not like the FA scheduled the replay on the 8th, the game is on the 4th. So instead of a 14 day break they get 11. They aren't taking away their whole break. They are also playing a team they should beat rather easily, especially at home. They can rotate their squad and still win. Whichever player Klopp seems to think is in the red can just be named to the bench, they probably won't even need to come on if Liverpool plays anything close to good. They should be able to give starts to guys like Origi, Lallana and Milner.

The only thing this changes for the players is they have to push back their Caribbean vacation a few days. These guys are making millions, I'm sure they'll easily get over the lose of 3 days vacation rather quickly. And Klopp can't complain about extra fixtures when those fixtures, mostly champions league ones, are making his club insane money which allows him to buy the best players. If he wants his players to rest he can just play the under 23's against Atletico too.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's not like the FA scheduled the replay on the 8th, the game is on the 4th. So instead of a 14 day break they get 11. They aren't taking away their whole break. They are also playing a team they should beat rather easily, especially at home. They can rotate their squad and still win. Whichever player Klopp seems to think is in the red can just be named to the bench, they probably won't even need to come on if Liverpool plays anything close to good. They should be able to give starts to guys like Origi, Lallana and Milner.

The only thing this changes for the players is they have to push back their Caribbean vacation a few days. These guys are making millions, I'm sure they'll easily get over the lose of 3 days vacation rather quickly. And Klopp can't complain about extra fixtures when those fixtures, mostly champions league ones, are making his club insane money which allows him to buy the best players. If he wants his players to rest he can just play the under 23's against Atletico too.

Man, I like how people like you can so easily tell someone what they should do. It's all capped off with some ignorance about their vacations. They'd have to report back to training quickly enough that they wouldn't have an actual vacation.

For starters, you don't even know that two of the players you listed are injured. You don't know the personal needs of the players at all. You don't know if they've been nursing minor injuries, you don't know how Klopp has been training them, you don't know if they were promised breaks, you don't know how fatigued they were when they returned this summer. You also don't realize that most of these players who would play in this game had to do intensive rehabilitation to work back from injuries.

You also don't know how good Liverpool's U23's are and that there's around a 50% chance they'll win the game. Maybe even better than that. It's a valuable experience for these players to play in this game.

Then the most important factor is what happened the last two seasons. It seems like everyone being a whiner about this fails to realize that Liverpool already deliberately tanked in this cup the last two seasons. Can everyone tell me what happened to them after they did that? They have literally not lost in the league since they took a winter break in 2019, they've made 2 CL Finals, won numerous trophies. It's like Klopp's methods work or some shit.

It is actually incredible that any of you care, but I'm not surprised. It is the only thing you guys have.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Man, I like how people like you can so easily tell someone what they should do. It's all capped off with some ignorance about their vacations. They'd have to report back to training quickly enough that they wouldn't have an actual vacation.

For starters, you don't even know that two of the players you listed are injured. You don't know the personal needs of the players at all. You don't know if they've been nursing minor injuries, you don't know how Klopp has been training them, you don't know if they were promised breaks, you don't know how fatigued they were when they returned this summer. You also don't realize that most of these players who would play in this game had to do intensive rehabilitation to work back from injuries.

You also don't know how good Liverpool's U23's are and that there's around a 50% chance they'll win the game. Maybe even better than that. It's a valuable experience for these players to play in this game.

Then the most important factor is what happened the last two seasons. It seems like everyone being a whiner about this fails to realize that Liverpool already deliberately tanked in this cup the last two seasons. Can everyone tell me what happened to them after they did that? They have literally not lost in the league since they took a winter break in 2019, they've made 2 CL Finals, won numerous trophies. It's like Klopp's methods work or some ****.

It is actually incredible that any of you care, but I'm not surprised. It is the only thing you guys have.

So what's the point of this winter break if these guys won't even get to vacation? They get to sit on their couches and play Xbox for two weeks? You say the can't vacation because they need to get back to training then you say they may be nursing an injury. So if they're injured why are they getting back to training and not resting?

If Klopp is training them too hard that they need this break to rest then that's on him for doing that. The FA shouldn't give them a rest because Klopp wants to push them in training and not rotate properly. And if Klopp told them they'd get a break then that's his problem because the replay window was always going to be in that break period. Even if some of the players I mentioned are injured, Liverpool is a big enough team where they should have an adequate replacement available instead of having to play their U23 side. I don't think the U23 side will easily dispatch Shrewsbury considering the regular squad couldn't.

Sure his team has won a ridiculous amount in the league but making a joke of the Cups is a terrible way to go about that. No other premier league side does that, he's the only one to treat it this way. And you may say it works but it sets a bad precedent that these Cups are meaningless when they've been around for longer than Klopp has been alive. He's diminishing these Cups by doing this which is the problem, if he wants to be such a great coach he should be trying to pull off a treble first.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What an asinine take. Oh you get millions so, you can't complain about vacation time and travel. Klopp and LFC can line up however they choose that is in their best interest. The funny part is it has yet to cost them anything. Let their reserves lose a game and then maybe we can talk about LFC losing.

Reactions: maclean

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
So what's the point of this winter break if these guys won't even get to vacation? They get to sit on their couches and play Xbox for two weeks? You say the can't vacation because they need to get back to training then you say they may be nursing an injury. So if they're injured why are they getting back to training and not resting?

They'll get to vacation now. If they have to line up in mid-week, they won't. Why is this so hard to understand?

If Klopp is training them too hard that they need this break to rest then that's on him for doing that. The FA shouldn't give them a rest because Klopp wants to push them in training and not rotate properly. And if Klopp told them they'd get a break then that's his problem because the replay window was always going to be in that break period. Even if some of the players I mentioned are injured, Liverpool is a big enough team where they should have an adequate replacement available instead of having to play their U23 side. I don't think the U23 side will easily dispatch Shrewsbury considering the regular squad couldn't.

Training is why they're successful. It is a good thing this is not a fascist cup that forces teams to do whatever the cup wants them to do. None of this stuff is his problem because he's not going to play the players. End of. I don't even know what you people are trying to argue.

Also, the regular squad did not play in the match at Shrewsbury. It was a heavily rotated squad featuring many of the players who will play next week.

Sure his team has won a ridiculous amount in the league but making a joke of the Cups is a terrible way to go about that.

No it's not. Watch your team actually win stuff by doing that and tell me that.

No other premier league side does that, he's the only one to treat it this way.

None of the other teams had to go to Qatar and Istanbul in the middle of the season to play three extra games. None of them were good enough. The other teams aren't doing what Klopp is doing because this is their only chance to win anything.

And you may say it works but it sets a bad precedent that these Cups are meaningless when they've been around for longer than Klopp has been alive. He's diminishing these Cups by doing this which is the problem, if he wants to be such a great coach he should be trying to pull off a treble first.

He's not diminishing the cups. That happened a long time ago first of all. Second of all, we won other trophies in mid-season. Already guaranteed to win three this season. The idea he isn't a great coach is laughable enough to discredit anything else you say.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It seems footybite has also been shut down. The only stream I could find right now is in Arabic. An even less experienced lineup than last time for Liverpool here.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Isn't that the same as what happened in the league cup against Arsenal? Granted that wasn't a full u23 squad, but still had most of them in it

Yep. The FA is also at peak pettiness over this whole thing so I had to find a hacked feed as no broadcaster in the world is showing this live.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It seems footybite has also been shut down. The only stream I could find right now is in Arabic. An even less experienced lineup than last time for Liverpool here.
Found one in English from LFCTV

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
With an average age of 19 years and 102 days this now becomes the youngest side Liverpool has ever played in a competitive match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad