2020 F1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
We urgently need more women in the sport, but I too would rather see someone who is not a celebrity and makes it through her ability, so no female Stroll either. Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes could make it happen if they really wanted to.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think it will take a daughter of a former driver (preferably a WDC) for a female to be taken seriously by the sport and the people running it.

Like you think men have it bad with the "well he's just a pay driver, he isn't actually good", the women who've tried F2/F3 have it ten times worse. Obviously there hasn't been that exceptional female driver that would stood out, but still some of the criticism is unwarranted (unless you're Carmen Jorda).

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I remember seeing a BBC article that Jamie Chadwick was set to get significant backing to try to make it to F1

Apart from her the only viable candidate seems to be Sophie Floersch, she didn't do that well in F3 this year but she's only 19 so has age on her side compared to the rest of the female drivers who are knocking about.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
We'll get at least two weekends this year without Friday practice. Let's hope this and Imola are absolute bangers so they'll realize that 4 hours of practice is so stupid.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
We'll get at least two weekends this year without Friday practice. Let's hope this and Imola are absolute bangers so they'll realize that 4 hours of practice is so stupid.

Meh. I for one was looking forward to seeing Schumacher and Ilott in action.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Meh. I for one was looking forward to seeing Schumacher and Ilott in action.
Sure. But less practice more often than not means better racing. If not for TV deals and whatnot I'd think dropping at least some of the practice would be a no brainer.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Stroll is sick (what he has hasn't been mentioned but since he was in the paddock you would assume he passed all covid testing) and Hulk will drive for him in qualifying and the race.

More bad luck for Stroll who lost two great finishes in a row through no fault of his own but I'm always down to see Hulk.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I remember seeing a BBC article that Jamie Chadwick was set to get significant backing to try to make it to F1

Apart from her the only viable candidate seems to be Sophie Floersch, she didn't do that well in F3 this year but she's only 19 so has age on her side compared to the rest of the female drivers who are knocking about.

To a certain extent, Marta Garcia too, but at this point she's behind Chadwick and Floersch.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's about time Horner and Marko swallow their pride and sign either Perez or Hulkenberg for next season. Not only is Albon consistently half a second behing Max he seems to be doing more and more mistakes lately.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
They won't and that's messed up. Putting their own bruised egos in front of actual performance is ridiculous and not acceptable. Both Hulkenberg and Perez are significant upgrades and will not only bring home more points but likely be in the mix enough that they can actually depend on them to help with strategy and being an actual wingman.

Anyway. Boring race. Happy for Daniel though.

Stroll has apparently felt sick since leaving Russia with flu like symptoms but has around 4 negative Covid-19 tests in that time.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
WDC is pretty much over now, shame since Bottas was trending upwards the last couple races. Need more of turn 2 moves in 2021.

Can we get Giovinazzi out of F1 already? His race pace is f***ing dreadful, Kimi driving with a broken front wing still going faster. Unlucky that collision Kimi had with Russell, turn 1 caught out a lot of drivers with lock-ups.

Hulkenberg solid drive, picked up the pieces when others had issues and crashes.

It's about time Horner and Marko swallow their pride and sign either Perez or Hulkenberg for next season. Not only is Albon consistently half a second behing Max he seems to be doing more and more mistakes lately.
Yeah, I don't know what he was thinking. He had like at least 3 waaaay too ambitious dives into turn 1 that could've ended badly, and then that clumsy collision that ruined Kvyat's race. Those turn 1 moves reminded me of Kvyat in 2015-16, when he would send it to any existing gap.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
WDC is pretty much over now, shame since Bottas was trending upwards the last couple races. Need more of turn 2 moves in 2021.

Can we get Giovinazzi out of F1 already? His race pace is f***ing dreadful, Kimi driving with a broken front wing still going faster. Unlucky that collision Kimi had with Russell, turn 1 caught out a lot of drivers with lock-ups.

Hulkenberg solid drive, picked up the pieces when others had issues and crashes.

Yeah, I don't know what he was thinking. He had like at least 3 waaaay too ambitious dives into turn 1 that could've ended badly, and then that clumsy collision that ruined Kvyat's race. Those turn 1 moves reminded me of Kvyat in 2015-16, when he would send it to any existing gap.

Weren't you arguing before Hulkenback was announced for Silverstone that Giovinazzi isn't actually that bad? :laugh:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I thought Giovinazzi was starting to look better in the 2nd half of last season and was hoping he'd continue developing this year. I think he's at this point quicker than Kimi on one lap but the race pace is still just abysmal. He's had his time.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Weren't you arguing before Hulkenback was announced for Silverstone that Giovinazzi isn't actually that bad? :laugh:
Yup, that was when Kimi was still struggling at the beginning of the season and I wasn't sure whether it was the car or Kimi regressing. Now Kimi is back to his usual level and exposing Gio.

I thought Giovinazzi was starting to look better in the 2nd half of last season and was hoping he'd continue developing this year. I think he's at this point quicker than Kimi on one lap but the race pace is still just abysmal. He's had his time.
I think he just isn't very good at setting up the car for the race, and Kimi isn't the greatest teammate to ask for help on that matter (IIRC Grosjean gave an interview a couple years ago and sounded really bitter that Kimi didn't help him understand the data better). Like Kimi has never been that good at qualifying, but still there's no other way to explain it that he's 0.3-0.5 seconds behind Gio in qualifying and then around the same difference faster (arguably even more) in the race.

Kimi is also consistently managing to go further on the same set of tyres, without losing too much pace. Setting and/or driving style thing affecting Gio?

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Jacques Villeneuve in all his wisdom....has critisized Lance Stroll for not showing up to race when he had flu like symptoms during a pandemic.

This dude works real hard to make me ashamed of the fact he's the one who got me into the sport.

Reactions: Khelandros

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Here we go again:

Red Bull threaten to quit F1, Ferrari block engine freeze | F1 News by PlanetF1

threatening-to-take-my-ball-and-go-home-so-i-guess-you-could-say-things-are-getting-pretty-serious.jpg

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I wonder what kind of engine deal f***ery Toto is going to pull if there's truth behind the rumors that Williams are trying to replace Russell with Perez next year.

Could be pretty brutal for the future the Mercedes driver academy as well. They've already left two promising talents in Wehrlein and Ocon hanging and if Russell were to be added to that list I wonder how tempted young talents are to join that organization... Williams hasn't at any point shown interest in being a B team for Merc and it doesn't seem like the new owners are want to be going that direction either.

If you're Williams though Perez could be a dream driver to join that team. Tons of money, talent and experience over a young driver who's, while insanely fast and skilled, eager to leave the team as soon as he possibly can.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
A Perez/Latifi lineup actually makes all sorts of business sense.

Not a lot of racing sense...but money wise...it's smart.

I don't see Toto letting that go down quietly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad