2020 F1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I mean....that's not new.

This is a guy who gets on the team radio on lap 2 saying his tires are dead but then proceeds to set 29 straight fastest laps.

He loves the drama, if there isn't any to be had he manufactures it
Hard to argue with the talent though

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
It makes him unlikable which is unfortunate since he's the best driver of his generation imo

It does but people were gonna hate him and his level of dominance no matter what. Vettel was hated at Red Bull....now? Beloved.

Lewis definitely has issues that are unlikeable though. His demanding public accountability and apologies from Helmut Marko for something he didn't even say but then refusing to publically apologize himself for basically calling the guy racist ....well...that's up there.

Reactions: Kiwi

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It does but people were gonna hate him and his level of dominance no matter what. Vettel was hated at Red Bull....now? Beloved.

Vettel was disliked because he was a petulant child (... and that's probably unflattering to the average petulant children).

He still has that petulant streak.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
At this point I'd much rather have Ilott than Shwartzman driving next season (if merit is actually of importance).

Also... Armstrong was rather well-rated, wasn't he? And he's been totally destroyed by a 19-year old, wasn't he?

But, heh, driver academies. Nationalities.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Vettel was disliked because he was a petulant child (... and that's probably unflattering to the average petulant children).

He still has that petulant streak.
True, but Vettel has always contained that behaviour to the track. Many times he's done or said stupid shit during the race, and then he regrets it soon as he steps out of the car. Multi-21 cooldown room for example, he looked like a guilty dog that had taken a dump inside the house.

With Hamilton it's not just in the car, he's taken on this persona (probably a very conscious decision for PR reasons) 24/7.

Reactions: MXD and Khelandros

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Lewis definitely has issues that are unlikeable though. His demanding public accountability and apologies from Helmut Marko for something he didn't even say but then refusing to publically apologize himself for basically calling the guy racist ....well...that's up there.

I always thought there was two types of hate in that situation, some people hate great athlete's because they are good and some athlete's are just unlikable prats, Hamilton is in the 2nd group imo

Demanding people take a knee during the anthem did it for me with him, that should be a personal decision and anybody who tries to bully others either way is a prick

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Abiteboul is already smirking at the thought of Horner coming back to Renault, asking them to become RB's engine supplier.

Pretty brutal for Red Bull though, that partnership was starting to flourish last season. Now they're back to square one.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Abiteboul is already smirking at the thought of Horner coming back to Renault, asking them to become RB's engine supplier.

Pretty brutal for Red Bull though, that partnership was starting to flourish last season. Now they're back to square one.
That’s the only realistic option. I don’t see Mercedes or Ferrari powering a direct rival.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
That’s the only realistic option. I don’t see Mercedes or Ferrari powering a direct rival.
Definitely not unless Jeff Bezos buys the engines from them.

Max's contract definitely has some out clauses, I do wonder whether it involves any stuff like this.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I'd love to see the full details of every single clause in Max's deal because I imagine he has many of them.

But again....the question would become....where does he go? This man who is still so young and has prodigy like talent levels might just waste away until he's like....30.

This also casts serious doubts into Tsunoda getting an F1 drive. I was convinced that was a sure thing as long as he got his license.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
This also casts serious doubts into Tsunoda getting an F1 drive. I was convinced that was a sure thing as long as he got his license.
You'd think a lot of it depends on what they do with Albon. If they decide to keep him at Red Bull I don't see a reason for them to hold onto Kvyat, and they're not exactly known for being patient with their juniors so that'd open up a spot for Tsunoda.

For me it seems like a no brainer to sign Hulkenberg or Perez for the 2nd seat at Red Bull and have Gasly and Albon at AlphaTauri but hey, this is Horner and Marko we're talking about. They're way too stubborn to get a driver outside of their academy.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
True, but Vettel has always contained that behaviour to the track. Many times he's done or said stupid shit during the race, and then he regrets it soon as he steps out of the car. Multi-21 cooldown room for example, he looked like a guilty dog that had taken a dump inside the house.

With Hamilton it's not just in the car, he's taken on this persona (probably a very conscious decision for PR reasons) 24/7.

On one hand, you're right, and Vettel seems like a genuinely nice person off the track, someone I could really get along with, if anything.
On the other, I'll never spend any time with Sebastian Vettel and he is, after all, a racer.

Meanwhile, Hamilton really, really cleaned up his act on track (up until the Albon incidents). He's the equivalent of an hypocondriac (with his car), but that's not something that annoys me like petulance does. And Hamilton's off-track persona is probably great for F1, if anything, as it could contribute to increase visibility, and while I mostly agree with his positions, I personally think he could do a bit less, or a bit differently (demonstrating for Breonna Taylor is great and all, but doing so in Italy in a season where F1 will not step foot (or wheel, whatever) in USA, not to mention F1 not being as big in the USA as it's elsewhere in the world, doesn't exactly require a huge set of balls. But hey... he's a 7WDC (... or he will, whatever), so...

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If I'm Horner/Marko, the first thing I'm doing if Renault shows some unwillingness during the engine discussions is poaching Christian Lundgaard ASAP (... probably only next season as he'll lack the required SL points).

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
On one hand, you're right, and Vettel seems like a genuinely nice person off the track, someone I could really get along with, if anything.
On the other, I'll never spend any time with Sebastian Vettel and he is, after all, a racer.

Meanwhile, Hamilton really, really cleaned up his act on track (up until the Albon incidents). He's the equivalent of an hypocondriac (with his car), but that's not something that annoys me like petulance does. And Hamilton's off-track persona is probably great for F1, if anything, as it could contribute to increase visibility, and while I mostly agree with his positions, I personally think he could do a bit less, or a bit differently (demonstrating for Breonna Taylor is great and all, but doing so in Italy in a season where F1 will not step foot (or wheel, whatever) in USA, not to mention F1 not being as big in the USA as it's elsewhere in the world, doesn't exactly require a huge set of balls. But hey... he's a 7WDC (... or he will, whatever), so...
Disagree with this statement. It only looks like he cleaned up his on track behavior because he is now usually leading with no one around him. Every time he has to sit in traffic with others he has to legitimately race for position, the "old" Hamilton pops up again. The running off track, running into people. The last time he actually had to fight was with Rosberg as his team mate.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Disagree with this statement. It only looks like he cleaned up his on track behavior because he is now usually leading with no one around him. Every time he has to sit in traffic with others he has to legitimately race for position, the "old" Hamilton pops up again. The running off track, running into people. The last time he actually had to fight was with Rosberg as his team mate.

He wasn't any worse than Rosberg, and I say that as a proud member of Team Rosberg. My basis of comparison was his really, really stupid 2011 season.

Hamilton and Vettel were on similar/equivalent equipment up 'till 2019 or so.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If I'm Horner/Marko, the first thing I'm doing if Renault shows some unwillingness during the engine discussions is poaching Christian Lundgaard ASAP (... probably only next season as he'll lack the required SL points).

Renault doesn't have so good cards in hand either as long as they're the manufacturer with the fewest customers, in this situation they're not entitled to refuse Red Bull if other manufacturers choose to do so.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Renault doesn't have so good cards in hand either as long as they're the manufacturer with the fewest customers, in this situation they're not entitled to refuse Red Bull if other manufacturers choose to do so.

They'll be obligated but they don't necessarily have to be easy or cheap about it. They can dick Horner around a bit first.

But still. Red Bull should be trying to poach young junior drivers anyway. Their driver program clearly ain't working so well.

It would be a big positive step if they would put Hulk or Perez alongside Max. I'd prefer Hulk myself but either is the right move.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Maybe they will just for old times' sake, but ultimately both teams understand that lose-lose isn't going to help either side. Even so, as a customer team Red Bull will be in transition until the new engine rules in 2026 and Verstappen isn't going to wait that long. In the worst case they could fail to secure a new partner at that point and leave F1 altogether.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Been a long list of suppliers over the years but who would possibly jump back in?

Ford-Cosworth
Toyota
Peugot
Porsche
Alfa Romeo
Lambo
Yamaha
BMW

Independents like John Judd and Brian Hart. No idea if anyone still carries on their work.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Volkswagen doesn't have presence, if the new rules are satisfactory perhaps one of their brands might make it. Especially if F1 is going electric in some meaningful way multiple manufacturers might join.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->