2020 F1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
There's a few drivers in F1 I think can challenge Lewis in equal machinery.

But you're right. I don't know if I'd consider Seb one of them at this point.

But I want to believe.
With Max I'd probably flip a coin. Anyone else I think would still be a step below Lewis. Leclerc should get there quite soon though.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Drivers I think who could be a thorn in Lewis's side:

Max
Leclerc
Ricciardo
Vettel

Max on pure pace and talent likely wins but Lewis has such poise, maturity and a more...level demeanor that it still gives him a slight edge right now.

Max has gained so much maturity in the last season and a half that he's not that far off now.

He's still gonna make a mistake every now and then (his move on...was it Kimi in Belgium comes to mind though I'd probably have to re-watch to see where the fault lays or racing incident) but he's done a lot to shed the Crashtappen moniker.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Also. I watched the virtual Monaco Grand Prix.

Shame we can't turn damage off in real life. Makes that track about 900 times better.

Reactions: JoVel

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Drivers I think who could be a thorn in Lewis's side:

Max
Leclerc
Ricciardo
Vettel

Max on pure pace and talent likely wins but Lewis has such poise, maturity and a more...level demeanor that it still gives him a slight edge right now.

Max has gained so much maturity in the last season and a half that he's not that far off now.

He's still gonna make a mistake every now and then (his move on...was it Kimi in Belgium comes to mind though I'd probably have to re-watch to see where the fault lays or racing incident) but he's done a lot to shed the Crashtappen moniker.
I don't know about Ricciardo. I feel like he's still living a bit off the reputation from 2014. That was an insane year for him, but apart from that he's never really dominated his teammates. He was very close to Vergne in 2012-13 and actually got outscored by Kvyat in 2015. When Max got his shit together he was quite clearly above him as well. And it's not like he dominated Hulkenberg either.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Ricciardo would probably be a thorn on Hamilton's side, but one that Hamilton be able to take out quite safely.

He'd still do better than Vettel would, and maybe also even Leclerc, though based on experience (or more, Leclerc's lack thereof) than pure pace. At this point I think Max would beat Lewis most of the time with equal machinery, but it would be rather close.

What's more interesting is whether Vettel would beat Sergio Perez if he was to join Racing Point/Aston Martin (and both would race with equal machinery with no preferential treatment). Remember that racing in the midfield usually involves more w2w action...

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's not like Vettel would have displayed lesser pace compared to Leclerc, rather more nerves eliminating their difference in experience.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

Australia, Monaco, Paul Ricard and Zandvoort have all been cancelled. Maybe this is all just a secret plan to dump the most boring races and have the best racing we've ever had.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

Australia, Monaco, Paul Ricard and Zandvoort have all been cancelled. Maybe this is all just a secret plan to dump the most boring races and have the best racing we've ever had.

Plus the potential to have Hockenheim on the calendar when we thought it was previously lost...

If Russia and Singapore get cancelled all my disliked tracks would be gone.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
....Wolff steps down.
This has the potential to have much bigger repercussions than Ferrari signing Sainz and letting Vettel go.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah this could be a huge huge domino.

Directly impacts Hamilton's next contract...throws a huge question mark into MB's future as a team...Then there's a million more dominoes that could fall depending on Hamilton and MB and...shit. I don't even know.

Toto to Aston Martin seems like a good bet? There's been rumblings about Papa Stroll and Toto for awhile.

This is the silliest season of all.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I’m not sure how I feel about this. I’ve never rooted for Mercedes to win, but they’ve probably been the most dominant team in any sport during my time watching.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

This is the most excited I've been about anything Williams related in a while.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
As ugly as the previous car was also dark blue and white is utterly boring.
I won't deny that nostalgia plays its part but I definitely love the early 2000's williams. Although I love the look of those cars in general.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Glad we're not getting that toothpaste Williams livery, but I'll be gutted if they sell the team and/or it goes under. At least I got to have my day at the HQ to visit the collection while the chance was there.

I've always had a soft spot for Williams since I started watching. The Martini livery was my favourite on the grid. I will always remember jumping out of my seat shouting "Go on!" At the TV when both cars blew past both the Mercedes at the start of Silverstone 2015

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Yeah this could be a huge huge domino.

Directly impacts Hamilton's next contract...throws a huge question mark into MB's future as a team...Then there's a million more dominoes that could fall depending on Hamilton and MB and...shit. I don't even know.

Toto to Aston Martin seems like a good bet? There's been rumblings about Papa Stroll and Toto for awhile.

This is the silliest season of all.
Take it with some salt,

Toto Wolff and Lawrence Stroll Teaming up to Transform Mercedes into Aston Martin : Reports

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

This is the most excited I've been about anything Williams related in a while.
"Two colours synonymous with the team will be prominent"

So 80s or mid 90s livery?

This whole thing is strange, like are they going to run Aston Martin A and B teams, or they fuse together as one (which would be terrible for the sport, there's too few teams already)?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Ehh, I don't think they could even if they wanted to.

"we just happened to paint our car after a tobacco brand"
Mission Winnow is basically a Marlboro ad as well. I'm not a lawyer but if Ferrari gets away with that then Williams should get away with having a livery that resembles their '96 car.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's not that uncommon to see the Rothmans livery in other motorsports competitions still today, but the bigger issue would be how to make money with that.

5.jpg

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Mission Winnow is basically a Marlboro ad as well. I'm not a lawyer but if Ferrari gets away with that then Williams should get away with having a livery that resembles their '96 car.
Marlboro now nor in the past forced Ferrari to change their colour scheme though. I'm skeptical about the Mission Winnow thing too, but at least it's not as visible as a whole livery would be.

It's not that uncommon to see the Rothmans livery in other motorsports competitions still today, but the bigger issue would be how to make money with that.
Le mans 24h is just one event though and not nearly as popular worldwide as F1.

Whatever they end up doing, I'm sure they've asked about it from F1 first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad