2020 F1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
This is known. They have been negotiating for some time but nothing came from the talks, hence no contract being offered.
Except if you'd actual read the article, their sources are saying that they didn't even negotiate.

Furthermore, it has also emerged that the terms of Carlos Sainz Jr’s deal with Ferrari were agreed during the winter, well in advance of what was set to be the first 2020 Formula 1 race, in Melbourne.

Our sources indicate there was no offer made to Vettel because Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto had already made up his mind about Vettel after a 2019 season that featured several points of conflict in the Vettel/Charles Leclerc combination – most infamously in Brazil where the pair made contact, leading to the retirement of both cars.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... What's with all these ramblings about Alonso to Renault?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Terrific driver but I really just don't want him around.
I know his "funny" team radios became a meme in the later years of his career but at this stage of his career I honestly believe he'd do more harm than good to Renault. Is it worth it to them to sign a guy who's the furthest thing from a team player you can get, even if he's talented? Renault could probably have a Hulk-Ocon pairing and that's more than solid for a midfield team.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Yeah, Alonso back to Renault is a terrible idea. They aren't going to contend next year and then Alonso is just going to throw a hissy fit about how the car sucks.

They're better off signing Gasly, Kvyat (not sure about their Red Bull contracts if they're available), or Bottas. I can't see Hulkenberg coming back, time to try something new.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Yes, I'm well aware of what's been reported earlier, but we're talking about this specific piece of news here.

It's tough to say who's right, since F1 doesn't really have a true insider like Bob (McKenzie)/Friedman or Woj, and we probably won't find out until (and if) Vettel writes a book. I just think it can't be a coincidence that the announcement comes, Sainz signs 2 days later with Ferrari and Ricciardo signs with Mclaren the same day.

There was a different report that suggested Vettel leaked the news himself to German media, maybe he got tired of Ferrari feeding media this BS about their negotiations? :dunno:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah, Alonso back to Renault is a terrible idea. They aren't going to contend next year and then Alonso is just going to throw a hissy fit about how the car sucks.

They're better off signing Gasly, Kvyat (not sure about their Red Bull contracts if they're available), or Bottas. I can't see Hulkenberg coming back, time to try something new.

I'd be real happy if it was Kyvat. I have a soft spot for him and I worry about his longevity despite his performing fairly well.

I also want to see Hulk back just so he can podium and tell Cyril to f*** off (the teasing he gave him that was shown in Drive to Survive didn't even seem friendly. Just seemed like an asshole)

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I think Horner and Cyril are very similar people. Cyril is an ass and if Horner was struggling as bad as Renault are he would be a colossal ass as well.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Potential for Hockenheim?

tenor.gif

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Vettel to Mercedes rumours really getting wild.

And I'm here for it.
Could you imagine. Hamilton hasn't really had a teammate at Mercedes on his level, that could actually stop him from winning the drivers championship. Rosberg was a good driver, but nothing on Vettels level.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Could you imagine. Hamilton hasn't really had a teammate at Mercedes on his level, that could actually stop him from winning the drivers championship. Rosberg was a good driver, but nothing on Vettels level.
I can't imagine Vettel at this stage of his career challenging Lewis, even in equal machinery.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
There's a few drivers in F1 I think can challenge Lewis in equal machinery.

But you're right. I don't know if I'd consider Seb one of them at this point.

But I want to believe.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I think he could. Look at the last couple of seasons. Last year him and Hamilton went at it at Canada, with Hamilton being unable to pass him. Granted he probably stopped trying once the penalty was assessed, but he wasn't able to do it before. Seb did a good job of keeping him behind, and if that penalty never happens maybe he doesn't lose his marbles and drive like shit the rest of the year. That coupled with Ferrari's inability to get out of their own way with team orders.

2018 he finished second, even with the metric ton of mistakes he made during the season. 88 points behind Hamilton.

I think in "equal" cars, Seb would put up a real challenge to Hamilton.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Joining Mercedes is not an offer he can refuse, but a sabbatical would have done him a lot of good. Go do Le Mans or something and find the joy of racing again.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Maybe I'm misreading his character but I cant envision a world where Lewis would happily accept Vettel as a teammate.

Even if the really high ups are putting the pressure on Toto (such is the rumour) do you really risk upsetting your cash cow?

You're not going to win the Constructors Championship any harder....

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Where would Lewis go? He'd have to give up his dream of 8 titles and I can't see him doing that just because of Vettel.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Maybe I'm misreading his character but I cant envision a world where Lewis would happily accept Vettel as a teammate.

Even if the really high ups are putting the pressure on Toto (such is the rumour) do you really risk upsetting your cash cow?

You're not going to win the Constructors Championship any harder....
I think you underestimate the size of Hamiltons ego. He would do it just to prove to everyone that he is a league above Vettel. I would really, really enjoy watching Vettel beat him in the same car.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I think you underestimate the size of Hamiltons ego. He would do it just to prove to everyone that he is a league above Vettel. I would really, really enjoy watching Vettel beat him in the same car.
But with how big his ego is, would he even want to take that risk? His hardcore supporters already believe they have enough evidence, so in his or their POV, is there really anything to prove?

But I would absolutely love this and so would everyone else.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
But with how big his ego is, would he even want to take that risk? His hardcore supporters already believe they have enough evidence, so in his or their POV, is there really anything to prove?

But I would absolutely love this and so would everyone else.
The way I see it, as long as there are people talking about the what-ifs, Hamilton will always have it in his head. It will always nag at him. It would be his chance to shut everyone up, because in his head he believes it to be true. Where in reality he's just had the best car the last 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad